The Student Room Group

Can I take Further Maths 1 as a fourth AS subjects? And is it..

And is it similar to C3 and C4?

I have 3 AS levels. Chemistry, Biology and Maths! I did Maths IGCSE and I was 3 marks away from an A.

I'm interested in Dentistry.

I'm also thinking of Sociology AS as a fourth subject but Im not sure if it's easy cos I havent done it before?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alexion
To do FM as an AS, you need to complete FP1, FP2 and another applied module.

The content of the FP modules is different, but not too bad to apply once you understand it.

Not necessarily
Original post by Alexion

The content of the FP modules is different, but not too bad to apply once you understand it.

You only need fp1 and 2 applied modules

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'd struggle immensely without a A at GCSE I'd have thought, unless you had other circumstances. Even an A would be a push, as it is notoriously difficult.
Original post by Adorable98

I have 3 AS levels. Chemistry, Biology and Maths! I did Maths IGCSE and I was 3 marks away from an A.

I'm also thinking of Sociology AS as a fourth subject but Im not sure if it's easy cos I havent done it before?!

The applied modules are evidently different than C3 and C4, For OCR FP1, that is also very different from C3 and C4
Reply 5
Original post by Cannoning
You only need fp1 and 2 applied modules

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Student403
Not necessarily

Original post by Alexion

I do C1, C2 and S1 so if I did FM would that mean I would have four subjects in total Maths and Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology?!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by kieran12321LFC
The applied modules are evidently different than C3 and C4, For OCR FP1, that is also very different from C3 and C4

Is edexcel different?!
Is edexcel different?!

Not sure I'm afraid
Is edexcel different?!

Edexcel only requires FP1, then you choose 2 modules for FM
Reply 9
Edexcel only requires FP1, then you choose 2 modules for FM

So basically FM at AS, I'll need to do FP1 and I already do C1, C2 and S1.
(edited 8 years ago)
So basically FM at AS, I'll need to do FM1, FP1 and I already do C1, C2 and S1.

What's FM1?
Is edexcel different?!

Just checked, yes FP1 is quite different than C3 and C4
Original post by kieran12321LFC
Just checked, yes FP1 is quite different than C3 and C4

I see, thanks!! :smile:

Bro, I'm doing Further Maths, and even though I got an A* at GCSE, I find it quite difficult. The speed at which you need to work for an exam in the FP1 module is extremely quick for the difficulty of the questions you get asked.

At my Sixth Form, we do little bits of the module, rather than the whole module straight away. But it is very difficult, and you need to be very quick. It is quite interesting though, but it requires a lot off time and commitment, so it may take you attention away from other subjects.

It also depends on what you want to do at uni, if you want to go. If you want to do Maths, then it's obviously a must, but if you wanted to do something like medicine, then it isn't very important, as some unis are said to not count it as a separate A Level, and just look at your grade as a whole.
What's FM1?

Further pure maths 1
Further pure maths 1

Is that not FP1?
Original post by flyingpanda
Bro, I'm doing Further Maths, and even though I got an A* at GCSE, I find it quite difficult. The speed at which you need to work for an exam in the FP1 module is extremely quick for the difficulty of the questions you get asked.

At my Sixth Form, we do little bits of the module, rather than the whole module straight away. But it is very difficult, and you need to be very quick. It is quite interesting though, but it requires a lot off time and commitment, so it may take you attention away from other subjects.

It also depends on what you want to do at uni, if you want to go. If you want to do Maths, then it's obviously a must, but if you wanted to do something like medicine, then it isn't very important, as some unis are said to not count it as a separate A Level, and just look at your grade as a whole.

Oh, I see!
Thanks!! :smile:
Is that not FP1?

Yep, i accidentally wrote it twice! :tongue:
Yep, i accidentally wrote it twice! :tongue:

Yeah correct then :smile:
Doing C1, C2, S1 and FP1 gives you an AS Maths qualification and nothing else. You need two other applied units (eg M1 and D1 or S2 and D1 etc) to get a Further Maths AS qualification.

For Edexcel, Further Maths AS is slightly more difficult than AS Maths (depending on what applied modules you do as well). If you're good at / enjoy Maths, then it shouldn't be too difficult. But don't take on work that you don't need to - check Dentistry's entry requirements if you haven't already and look at what subjects they do, and whether sociology is a suitable A-level for that, or how they view Further Maths, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest