The Student Room Group

Is Chemistry more respected than Computer Science?

Hello everyone, i have been taking Physics,Math,Chemistry and language A levels, i am currently in unit 1 in Chemistry, i got a good mark in my IGCSE but i do not enjoy the subject. I wanted to drop it and choose computer science A level, but as i heard it was not as respected as Chemistry. If i want to be an engineer, either aerospace ,electrical ,or software, should i take Chemistry to have a better chance to enter top University?( i have no experience in computer science)
Reply 1
If you want to do aerospace engineering, your best bet would be to take further maths. That would be more useful than either chemistry or computer science.
Reply 2
I would suggest Further maths, maths, physics and computer science actually. They all cover the jobs you want to be.
Purely from an admissions perspective it’s fairly irrelevant. Unis only ask for Maths and/or Physics for those areas and other subjects aren’t ‘respected’ more than one another.

You may also be better off dropping a fourth subject and smashing three AL. Unless your target unis have 4 AL offers.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
I totally agree that you only need three A levels. However, maths is essential and further maths is very beneficial. Aerospace engineering is extremely competitive and getting a place without further maths is tough.

Quick Reply

Latest