The Student Room Group

Uni Situation

Basically, I`ve struggled making friends at uni and although I`ve made some casual friends there`s no one for me to move in with for second year. I don`t really want to move in to a house with people I`ve never met so will likely be going into private accommodation. It`s not what i want but there`s not really a choice, problem is because of my anxiety I can`t really be bothered to go through the whole meeting new flat mates again (although it could be a good thing).

This has really taken away alot of motivation for to come back next year so I`m actually considering dropping out although my course is ok and I would like the degree. At home, my grandparents recently passed away (mum`s side) and she`s been borderline suicidal for months now. Everytime I phone home she basically talks about how she doesn`t want to live anymore, in addition to this both my dad and my brother have been diagnosed with a heart disease (cardiomyopathy? or something).

Anyway, I don`t know whether i should stick with Uni or whether I should go home as my family are struggling a lot and I`m not enjoying it quite as much as I thought I would. The main issue for me is the money issue of dropping out as that`s a it`s to throw away and I definitely won`t be coming back as I`ve already taken a gap year. Sorry it`s so long but any advice would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Wow thats a really difficult situation for anyone to be in. Firstly i'd recommend talking to your uni about it, there's tutors available who can give you stellar advice when you need answers. In terms of accomodation, you can move into a studio apartment like most 3rd years do where you're by yourself but with apartment neighbours.

If your family really need you at home it may be a good shout to talk to your uni and tell them the circumstances you're undergoing, so they can make special arrangements to help get you through this while not dropping out of uni e.g. delaying exams or potentially taking a year out and retaking your 2nd years after.

You're not alone, get help from your uni. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Ekno
Wow thats a really difficult situation for anyone to be in. Firstly i'd recommend talking to your uni about it, there's tutors available who can give you stellar advice when you need answers. In terms of accomodation, you can move into a studio apartment like most 3rd years do where you're by yourself but with apartment neighbours.

If your family really need you at home it may be a good shout to talk to your uni and tell them the circumstances you're undergoing, so they can make special arrangements to help get you through this while not dropping out of uni e.g. delaying exams or potentially taking a year out and retaking your 2nd years after.

You're not alone, get help from your uni. Good luck!

Cheers, the accommodation thing is really bringing me down but aside from that I`m not finding Uni too bad it`s just depressing phoning home every night and hearing how bad things are.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Cheers, the accommodation thing is really bringing me down but aside from that I`m not finding Uni too bad it`s just depressing phoning home every night and hearing how bad things are.

yeah its not the end of the world living on your own though, personally i'd prefer living on my own and seeing my friends at uni because living with friends can cause arguments and stress that you dont need rn

Quick Reply

Latest