The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eleanor27
It may depend on how relevant it is to your course and how flexible your department is. For example, I applied for Spanish and Arabic and got an offer. I was then offer then chance to work at an international law firm for a gap year so emailed to ask if I could defer but they said no... :/ going straight to uni as too scared to gamble with my place lol

I might reapply, but gambling a hypothetical offer like this just sounds SO scary!

Original post by Messorem1
History at University College
GCSE: 3A* 4A 2B
AS: AAAB
A-Level Predicted: A*A*A

Waiting eagerly for a response but kind of think my GCSE profile means I don't stand a chance :/ Although Oxford did interview me (albeit I didn't get an offer) which kind of gives me hope.. I guess?

Durham doesn't look at GCSEs as much as Oxford does, and you've definitely improved on your AS and predicted A2s, so I wouldn't worry too much :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by OSH18
Hey, congrats on the offer :smile: I want to study ancient history and was wondering when you sent off your application and got an offer back? Sorry if your repeating yourself and said this already.

Heya! My application to Durham for Ancient History has been sent off on 17th November, and offer received on 14th January :smile:
Original post by username2K
Anyone applied for Chinese/Japanese that has heard back from Durham yet?

Hey I've applied for Japanese and still nothing!
Original post by diggit
I have for Chemistry too! Can't decide between Imperial, Durham and St Andrews at the moment though.

I didn't apply to Imperial but I applied to St Andrews too! I think I'd rather go to Durham though, because St Andrews is just so small... not that Durham is exactly massive though (I'm from a small town so want to have something new I guess, haha :smile:)
Do you know when we're likely to hear back? The wait is killing me :laugh:
Original post by Thias
Hey y'all
First post:biggrin:
At GCSE I got A*A*AABBBBBBC andat AS I got AAAA (English Language, History, Politics, Ethics & Philosophy).
Applied to do Politics at St. Aidan's.
Anyone heard back from Politics yet?

I also applied to politics a few months ago and still heard nothing yet. It is driving me mad!
Hey, anybody got an offer for archaeology yet? I applied January 13th, but they processed my transcripts (I'm an international student) on the 18th. Kinda losing it here.
Original post by viscratama
Hey, anybody got an offer for archaeology yet? I applied January 13th, but they processed my transcripts (I'm an international student) on the 18th. Kinda losing it here.

Does that mean you missed the UCAS deadline?
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
Does that mean you missed the UCAS deadline?

No, I submitted everything, including transcripts, on the 13th and my application was processed the next day. They just took a few days to wade through all the emails they received and forward my transcripts to my application. Everything was in on time.
Has anyone got an offer for BA/BSc Geography yet?!
Original post by ffiorentini
I didn't apply to Imperial but I applied to St Andrews too! I think I'd rather go to Durham though, because St Andrews is just so small... not that Durham is exactly massive though (I'm from a small town so want to have something new I guess, haha :smile:)
Do you know when we're likely to hear back? The wait is killing me :laugh:

I have an offer of AAB from St Andrews but A*A*AA from Imperial!! My cousin is at St Andrews and loves it but like you say, it is very small. Good luck whatever you decide
Original post by Crozzer24
Wouldn't be worried! There's a massive improvement in your grades from GCSE to AS and them predicted are extremely good! Good luck

wow - exactly my profile too! im applying for enlgish lit though.
fingers crossed for us both!
Original post by melissafrat

My friend got one a few days ago, so fingers crossed you'll hear soon!
Original post by Smoke and Bone
My friend got one a few days ago, so fingers crossed you'll hear soon!

Congratulations to your friend! Thank you for letting me know!
Anyone waiting on an offer from Durham for Law with foundation? I'm a EU mature student, out of school for about 5 years. I applied back in October (Oxford deadlines) and haven't heard back yet...
Original post by diggit
I have an offer of AAB from St Andrews but A*A*AA from Imperial!! My cousin is at St Andrews and loves it but like you say, it is very small. Good luck whatever you decide

Well done!!! I'm still to hear back from St Andrews :/ but I have an unconditional to Edinburgh which would be my second choice after Durham so it doesn't really matter I guess! Good luck to you too :biggrin:
To those applying for physics, have you heard back yet?
Reply 1376
Original post by melissafrat

My friend got 1 months ago but I'm not sure which one for, how are your AS grades & UMS?
Reply 1377
Applied for Liberal Arts (French, Spanish, Classics & Ancient History & Philosophy)
GCSEs: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAB
A Levels: A* A* A* (French, Spanish, Maths A2s) & A (AS R.S)

Hate the waiting and constant checking of emails, have many people that have applied for Liberal Arts heard back yet?
Original post by Ha2420
My friend got 1 months ago but I'm not sure which one for, how are your AS grades & UMS?

Congratulations to them!! Thank you for letting me know ☺️

I've actually done A2s already and I'm on a gap year. Last year, I missed my offer to study Geog at Durham by a mark in one of my exams , and I didn't want to go to my second choice, so I've reapplied this year! I'm also retaking one exam. My A-level grades are A*ABB ☺️

Last year I heard around mid-Febuary so I'm still nervously waiting...
Reply 1379
Original post by Crozzer24
Anybody heard anything from Durham about economics? Sent my ucas off early November and still heard nothing

Applied for ppe on 1st Dec. Still haven't heard, frightening wait. Have you gotten a response by any chance?

Quick Reply

Latest