The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

I'm starting to doubt about Durham... I took the lnat back in October and although I feel like I did pretty well on the multiple choice, the essay was so hard and made me feel like it's crap. I guess in my case is hard to tell (since I have Portuguese qualifications), but if I score high on the lnat and the essay isn't excellent, would I still have a chance?
I mean, I already hold a degree and have life experience for the 5 years I've been out of school. My personal statement and letter of recommendation were great.... I don't know... It's so hard to tell!
Anyone can help with some insight?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1401
Original post by Viana90
I'm starting to doubt about Durham... I took the lnat back in October and although I feel like I did pretty well on the multiple choice, the essay was so hard and made me feel like it's crap. I guess in my case is hard to tell (since I have Portuguese qualifications), but if I score high on the lnat and the essay isn't excellent, would I still have a chance?
I mean, I already hold a degree and have life experience for the 5 years I've been out of school. My personal statement and letter of recommendation were great.... I don't know... It's so hard to tell!
Anyone can help with some insight?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The essay is merely read as another personal statement, it will not be the deciding factor of whether you get in or not! A friend of mine received an offer on the 27th of Feb last year so do hang in there! And of course you will have a chance if other aspects of your application are, indeed, strong. Everyone who has not received an offer yet is doubting that he/she will get one, including myself, just know that you're not alone.
Original post by Smoke and Bone
Just heard - offer for Chinese Studies (with year abroad) for AAB :smile:

Many grats! You must be thrilled! I hope that means I might hear soon. My anxiety is up the wall :,) TOUCH WOOD!
Thanks for replying! :wink:

I did apply for the foundation program, hoping that would give me a chance. But I'm applying for law and I know that's a tough one to get in.
Also, I read that Durham interviews for the foundation program and that makes me think they would be faster at making offers...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AunAb
I went for Hild Bede. I have to hear from UCL and St. Andrews as well. Didn't get into LSE or Warwick , but Durham has been my first choice throughout. I figured that if I had to take a year out I'd apply to competitive universities, not sure if I'm happy with that decision now!

What about you?

That's great! I applied to St Andrews as well!! I'm so sorry to hear that - but I am sure you'll go to a great university, and do amazing things! I wish you the best of luck!!
That is the exact mindset I have had since my decision to take this gap year.

I've got offers from Bristol and Exeter, now just waiting on St Andrews and Durham (I applied to two courses at Durham)!
Original post by Ivoryfall
Many grats! You must be thrilled! I hope that means I might hear soon. My anxiety is up the wall :,) TOUCH WOOD!

Thank you! I'm sure you'll hear soon with your offer! Crossing my fingers for you!
Original post by AunAb
When did you apply may I ask?

Oxbridge deadline.
Reply 1407
Original post by Sugar_1998
16th of November, I just an impatient person ^_^

Still waiting for PPE, have they replied to you?! Or anyone?!
Original post by AunAb
Still waiting for PPE, have they replied to you?! Or anyone?!

I haven't heard a reply yet but I know some have - there's another chat specifically for PPE. Stay strong cause im not :colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:
So I didn't get Durham ... It's ok though since it was a long shot. I got MMU and who knows maybe I can transfer later on... It's whatever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Viana90
So I didn't get Durham ... It's ok though since it was a long shot. I got MMU and who knows maybe I can transfer later on... It's whatever

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awwww I'm sure you'll do well no matter where you go, and yeah you could do a masters at Durham or something still
I meant transfer during the degree... But if not, it's fine. I'm planning on a masters too but in the Netherlands.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1412
I haven't heard a reply yet but I know some have - there's another chat specifically for PPE. Stay strong cause im not :colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:

Mate I'm dying. Especially cause everyone around emphasises on the competitive nature of PPE! When did you apply?
Original post by AunAb
Mate I'm dying. Especially cause everyone around emphasises on the competitive nature of PPE! When did you apply?

nov 16, u?
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
To those applying for physics, have you heard back yet?
No word back yet. MPhys.
Reply 1415
Now that Oxford have finally made their rejection official on UCAS, I can now choose my firm/insurance, but no hurry, I have till May.

However, I was reading the smallprint on one of the UCAS pages and found this in Durham's FAQ. Can anyone clarify what this means? By Unit Grades does this mean they will look at the A Level unit grades on results day (ok) or will they be looking back at the AS unit grades (not ok)?

This is a bit of a worry because my 6th form has a policy not to put in unit grades for anyone, understandably because it would 'draw attention' to any rogue grades in the units which may be lower than the overall result. For example I got an A in AS Chemistry overall, but one exam was a B.

However if it means looking at the final A Level exam results on results day then that's fair enough.

What is Durham’s policy regarding Unit grades?
Unit Grades will be used by the University during this entry cycle. It is planned to use them at confirmation of results in August to differentiate between candidates who have narrowly missed the conditions of their offer, should the University be able to admit any of these and this level of differentiation be required. The University does not intend to include unit grades within the conditions of offers
Reply 1416
nov 16, u?

1st December! This is torture.
Original post by jamesgates1
No word back yet. MPhys.

Neither, Bsc
Reply 1418

By the way could you link the chat specific to PPE at Durham please!
Any English offers?
I'm getting so impatient!

Quick Reply

Latest