The Student Room Group

Outrage in Denmark as 17yo girl faces fine for using pepper spray against sex atacker

"A Danish teenager who said she was sexually assaulted now faces a fine for using pepper spray against her attacker. The man who pulled her to the ground and tried to undress her fled the scene without any charges.

The incident took place in the center of the small town of Sonderborg in southern Denmark at about 10 p.m. local time Wednesday. She told police that an English-speaking man knocked her to the ground, tried to unbutton her pants and undress her.

However, she was apparently able to protect herself as she pulled out pepper spray and used it against the man, who escaped the scene and hasn’t been charged.

Police say that the girl may face a fine.

“It is illegal to possess and use pepper spray, so she will likely be charged for that,” local police spokesman Knud Kirsten said, as cited by TV Syd.

According to The Local, the girl’s fine could be about 500 kroner ($72) and that has sparked outrage on social media. "

Read More:
https://www.rt.com/news/330264-denmark-girl-rapist-fine/
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What was she supposed to use? Bad language?
She broke the law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It all fairness, this makes sense.

She isnt getting charged for using the spray against the attacker, but for having it in the first place.

Of course, you may disagree with whether it should be illegal or not, but it is illegal at the moment.
I'm surprised that she didn't simply use the German feminist Mayors technique of staying an arms length from him. That would have sorted him out.
Original post by caravaggio2
I'm surprised that she didn't simply use the German feminist Mayors technique of staying an arms length from him. That would have sorted him out.

Exactly, she only has herself to blame for this.
This is a tough situation. The law is the law, and if it's not enforced then it loses all meaning.

On the other hand, I hope that the authorities consider permitting women to carry certain forms of defensive item from now in, as it's becoming clear that places with lots of refugees are becoming more and more dangerous for native women to be.

This gets to the heart of the issue though. The government will put itself in a very precious position, politically speaking, as soon as it officially recognises that they are importing large numbers of people who present certain dangers to the native population.

The mayor is a feminist?

Really?

The fact is she broke the law. She should either stay within the law or do nothing
im personally surprised she didnt spray his penis and his face (and its stupid she got fined b ut its the way the legal system works in a lot of countries e.g. I was in an accident during my last year at uni when some idiot was doing 40 in a 20 zone resulting in me t-boning him whilst emerging from a carspace.
the following day the police ended up dealing with him but because I hit his car, I my insurance went up and he got 8 grand from the insurance company for no injury (he was claiming whiplash (rolls eyes) yet that day and the following day he got wasted and stoned
(edited 8 years ago)
So, what did the cops wanted her to do? Get raped then go after her attacker? That illegal pepper spray saved her life. Believe or not, but pepper sprays can be used in defense. Good that she wasn't raped but bad she's being charged for using an illegal weapon that was used in defense. Moral of the story don't use weapons that are meant to be illegal because the cops will be mad and you'll be charged for it even when it was used to cause harm on those want to harm you. Every illegal weapon is dangerous and should be kept illegal because there is no way they can save your life and meant to kill everyone in contact.

Shame on her!
(edited 8 years ago)
Have i missed something here? She's being fined for using pepper spray because its illegal to utilise or have in your possession. Of course she is, its illegal. If someone from the UK shot a sex attacker they still possess an illegal weapon whether or not they used it for good purposes or bad and i assume its the same situation here.
If the rapist got away because he wasn't recognised, how can they prove that she had and used the pepper spray in the first place? Has she admitted to possession of the pepper spray? No? Could it in fact be the rapists? Could she have pulled it out from the rapists pocket? (That's the line solicitors should use in her defence to get her off the hook - a good jury should realise she is innocent, and a judge cannot prove it was her because we have not heard the rapists case since he has not been identified)

If the rapist got away scot free, then so should the victim.
(edited 8 years ago)
No it is the same set of laws which are applied differently depending on who you are and what your training is. Do you want rapists running around with pepper spray?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What funny is I'd speculate that you're the sort of person who'd say she shouldn't have got in trouble for this but if it had been an 18 year old boy carrying pepper spray simply because he's a thug you'd want to throw the book at him

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aliens reference, nice.
According to the Danish law she was supposed to relax and to enjoy.
Should of just let it happen. violence is never the answer
If she can get a fine for having to protect herself as there was an absence of protection from the government. Can we all issue a fine to the government for every rape that happens?
Original post by Jebedee
If she can get a fine for having to protect herself as there was an absence of protection from the government. Can we all issue a fine to the government for every rape that happens?

I don't understand how you can try and make a case for her carrying an illegal weapon. Should we release everyone from jail who was carrying a gun so long as they claim it was for their own protection?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending