The Student Room Group

Advice - Trying to help my (younger) sister

Hey, so my sister (14 yo girl) has recently been grating on my nerves due to various reasons, mostly because of social media/her phone. For context, recently we've been on holiday with my Nana & Grandad, and during the evening entertainment (8:45-11:30) she was on her phone pretty much the entire time, scrolling through Instagram/Snapchat all the time, save for 30 minutes of Bingo.

So, there's a (brief) overview of the 'problem'. It really annoys me, cause I know my younger self (I'm now a 17yo guy) was pretty similar in the regard of 'caring about follower counts' and 'streaks' and having Tiktok and being in contact with friends. Now, having realised how stupid it all is, I'm sad to see it in my sister. For example, she considers it an achievement to gain X followers on Instagram/Tiktok, or a trophy to have 40+ Snapchat notifications on her phone. It's also the fact that she's been sat on the phone all evening, keeps checking it when she turns it off for 5 minutes, and I'm worried that the grandparents are disappointed that she doesn't enjoy their company.

So, when we were alone I tried to give her some advice, basically saying that social media is bad in large amounts and about being present - as I had to talk to my Nan about what drink she'd want - as though she wasn't there. I'm more worried about how it will affect others than myself - I'm (trying) learning to live with it - but how do others feel if she's on her phone and not talking to them??

Anyway, she proceeded to walk away from me and go pack (as it was the final night of holiday) and then came back and made a snide remark about being present now and then made a face when I told her not to be childish like that.

Honestly, I don't know what to do and it worries me. She takes the offensive when I try to help her, doesn't help herself, doesn't listen to advice, doesn't appreciate the fact that she gets help with her work/gets my notes as I'm the eldest. It's really starting to affect me - what can I do?? Honestly it just upsets me, I wan't to help her be better and not be like me. Is there anything I can (not) do? Was I wrong to give 'advice'?

Sorry for the vent guys, I really needed that. Thanks for reading this and any help you may have.
You need to teach her why being in the moment or real life is more important.

Or she needs to learn the hard way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending