The Student Room Group

sexualisation from men

It seems like all the girls in my school are guy crazy and are always talking about men and try to decode their feelings. Im staring to feel like my self worth is defined by what men think of me and whether or not I can get a boyfriend. how can I focus on myself and not on men and relationships? It seems like everywhere I turn on social media and in films people are always talking about relationships. I just want to feel like those times when I was in primary school and I was just happy with myself and my friends and I didn't have to worry about being pretty and being sexually objectified by the men around me. Another thing is I've noticed is the people around me have said that I'm really pretty and that I am curvy and petite and all these things and ask me things like why don't I have a boyfriend which annoys me. Also whenever I go out on the bus or with my friends out in town and things I notice that men
(sometimes a lot older) treat me differently and sometimes even comment on by body and give me weird stares and lick their lips. I try to ignore it when it happens by looking away and stuff but its started to really get to me as I'm getting older now (17). Pls can any other girls share their thoughts on this and give advice on what I can do thanks sm x
Reply 1
Hey. I totally agree with you. Nowadays media, social life, everything, is completely consumed by relationships, love, and sexualization. Unfortunately, we can't really do anything to immediately get eveyone to stop this disgusting behaviour. I get that people want to fit in so they try to conform to social norms but at this point, its getting too far. However I can tell that you know what you feel, which is great. As long as you know your views, and stand in your way, you wont fall into this trap of society. I just want to make it clear that if anyone is making you feel uncomfortable, you have the right to report them and remove yourself from the situation. Do what makes YOU comfortable, not what makes others comfortable.
Reply 2
I know it's 100% the men's fault, but it can help if you wear more modest (longer and looser) clothes.
Original post by Anonymous
It seems like all the girls in my school are guy crazy and are always talking about men and try to decode their feelings. Im staring to feel like my self worth is defined by what men think of me and whether or not I can get a boyfriend. how can I focus on myself and not on men and relationships? It seems like everywhere I turn on social media and in films people are always talking about relationships. I just want to feel like those times when I was in primary school and I was just happy with myself and my friends and I didn't have to worry about being pretty and being sexually objectified by the men around me. Another thing is I've noticed is the people around me have said that I'm really pretty and that I am curvy and petite and all these things and ask me things like why don't I have a boyfriend which annoys me. Also whenever I go out on the bus or with my friends out in town and things I notice that men
(sometimes a lot older) treat me differently and sometimes even comment on by body and give me weird stares and lick their lips. I try to ignore it when it happens by looking away and stuff but its started to really get to me as I'm getting older now (17). Pls can any other girls share their thoughts on this and give advice on what I can do thanks sm x

I do not if you are telling the truth. But if you are, then i am sorry this is happening to you.

If it was just some quick stares here and there from other people, i would just say that humans will always be humans, and cannot help but stares at people they find attractive. Even women stare at sexy men and women.
But what is the point of an older man staring at much younger person and while licking their lips? That's perving.
Op, have some pepper spray on you. When those idiots start perving on you, spray it on their eyes.
Reply 4
I'm guessing you're not attracted to men then but want to get all huggy huggy with the girls.

So maybe not get so much aggrieved my for being what they are but just go and be who you want to be.

The less feminine a woman dresses including hair the less interest they will attract from guys.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending