The Student Room Group

Plagarism

For one of our units, we have to make a website. I have based my house style on a website, however I have written all the code for it myself from scratch and have also altered the house style quite a bit. Is it still considered plagiarism if my website looks similar to another ? Also, how do exam boards check for plagiarism on website coursework?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
What do you mean by "house style"? Is that the example fragment of code that they gave to you? It should really only be used as a guide or foundation, you then base the rest of your website around it, building on it and using the materials you learned from the course.

TurnItIn uses a database of all submitted courseworks and online sources and matches to see if your work is similar to the ones in the database. Code is probably less flagged up because coding styles can be similar but that doesn't mean you can just go on the editor in Google Chrome and just rip all the code from a website. If it visually looks similar then it depends how you got there, if you used the exact same CSS styles with the same margins, padding, etc... then you're running dangerously. You can use sites as a guide but nothing more, code the rest yourself using your own creativity.
Reply 2
Original post by UWS
What do you mean by "house style"? Is that the example fragment of code that they gave to you? It should really only be used as a guide or foundation, you then base the rest of your website around it, building on it and using the materials you learned from the course.

TurnItIn uses a database of all submitted courseworks and online sources and matches to see if your work is similar to the ones in the database. Code is probably less flagged up because coding styles can be similar but that doesn't mean you can just go on the editor in Google Chrome and just rip all the code from a website. If it visually looks similar then it depends how you got there, if you used the exact same CSS styles with the same margins, padding, etc... then you're running dangerously. You can use sites as a guide but nothing more, code the rest yourself using your own creativity.

By house style I mean the site's overall appearance. I haven't done that at all, written all the code myself. CSS is completely different :smile:
If it just looks similar to another site but you haven't actually used any of their content - it makes it unoriginal, not plagiarized, so don't worry as long as you've written the site yourself. :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you :smile: the only page that was slightly similar was the homepage :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
haha aww thanks a lot!! I've finished my website and my teacher's really happy with me as I'm the only one who's got full marks haha yaay :P had to spend hours on it haha so glad it's done now :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks!!! oh gosh I had to do the exact same thing! My final report is huge as I've had to explain everything! congratulations to you too :wink:

that's actually a good idea, thanks! :smile:

I'm planning on making more websites this summer to extend my skills after I finish my A2's! quite excited haha

Are you working in web development? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending