The Student Room Group

is business a 'soft' degree?

Someone said that Business is a soft degree and not very difficult to do well in. Thoughts?
download.pngThere's your answer
what evidence is there to support this? I'm due to start a business degree and I'm expecting it to be pretty tough :c

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marshmallow9999
what evidence is there to support this? I'm due to start a business degree and I'm expecting it to be pretty tough :c

Posted from TSR Mobile

That image isn't about difficulty it's about usefulness, but I suppose Business may be useful if you can find something to make you stand out from the crowd or you go to a decent uni
what are you studying and where? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
what are you studying and where? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm at 6th form at the minute and have got an offer to do a MEng at Lancaster but I'm thinking about taking a gap year and reapplying to try and get into Cambridge for Maths if me results are good enough
I'd advise you not to compare degrees in sense of whether it's 'soft'... If it's a degree that will genuinely help your career in the long term, then do it.

My advice would be to think about where you kind of want to end up, and speak to them or some recruiters to advise you on what degree you might like to take.

You'll want to find a university that offers a year in industry as that's what will really stand you out from the crowd. Also one that challenges your perceptions of business and allows you to grow your employability. :yy:
Edinburgh is a better uni, but doesn't seem to offer a placement. Napier offers a year long placement in third year. Hmm that makes the decision more difficult lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Think about how many unis offer Business degrees- loads of them, as they are cheap to run. Some of these courses are virtually worthless in terms of employability as there are so many business grads about. The degree does have a reputation for being less challenging, unless you go somewher like Warwick..

You have to go to a decent uni ie. have good a level results, and probably even more importantly, have good work experience, or youve no chance of getting a graduate level job. You dont need a whole year if experience- summer interships/placements are good enough.
Original post by Herbiechester
Think about how many unis offer Business degrees- loads of them, as they are cheap to run. Some of these courses are virtually worthless in terms of employability as there are so many business grads about. The degree does have a reputation for being less challenging, unless you go somewher like Warwick..

You have to go to a decent uni ie. have good a level results, and probably even more importantly, have good work experience, or youve no chance of getting a graduate level job. You dont need a whole year if experience- summer interships/placements are good enough.

so what you're kinda saying is- 'Go to Edinburgh, even though it'll be much harder, but it'll be worthwhile cause the graduate prospects are better"? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
so what you're kinda saying is- 'Go to Edinburgh, even though it'll be much harder, but it'll be worthwhile cause the graduate prospects are better"? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kieran12321LFC
download.pngThere's your answer

That's not helpful at all and doesn't add anything to this discussion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did a history degree undergrad at Birmingham and an MSc in Human Resource Management & Business a few years later when I was working towards CIPD accreditation. Apparently I should be flipping burgers.. :rofl:

Look for business courses that are accredited and have good placement opportunities and internship connections with employers.

Also consider the other student activities you can get involved in at the university while you're there. There are plenty of leadership opportunities to access via societies and sports groups. You may also have the option to work for the uni whether in the SU or the uni itself.

Employers will want to know how you have developed tangible skills that will make you an asset to the business while at uni.

Yes you could be doing a so-called "God Tier" subject, but you could also have zero personality or emotional intelligence, that's a worse position to be in. Employers want the whole package these days, soft skills are what drive business, communication is key.
(edited 8 years ago)
If MBAs count as business degrees, then no way in hell are they soft!
Someone said that Business is a soft degree and not very difficult to do well in. Thoughts?

I think the problem is that just studying business on its own isn't enough to get you a job in business. As others on here have alluded to, you need work experience and soft skills to get a job in a business too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending