The Student Room Group

David Cameron's mum joins fight against Tory cuts

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pol pot noodles
It's not hypocrisy. Austerity advocates a reduction in spending, not a cut in services.
Cameron may well be wrong but that's beside the point. I've seen my council cut services due to 'government cuts' at the same time the chief executive was given an absolutely monster pay-rise. But I'm glad you believe Tory councils are of the highest integrity and above all that.
The government grant for Oxford county council was reduced by 37%, and grants generally make up less than a half of total council spending, so no, the budget isn't being cut by half, no where near.

I'm not making this party political.
A reduction in spending means a cut in services.

I would hardly say 37% is nowhere near half. Further to that didn't Osborne tell them to draw up plans for around 60% cuts?

I'm not even getting into a debate about the merits of austerity. But it is hypocritical to advocate and implement austerity and then complain about its causes.

Can I ask who you think knows more about the council finances, the councillors or Cameron? Given the former operate within it day in day out.

I don't think he cared to be honest, he was being a politician, blaming councils for the cut so he wouldn't seem like the bad guy.

It says a lot that his own party are saying that the cuts are unsustainable and they have no choice but to cut vital services.

Again, there's only so much red tape and inefficiency you can cut before you start eating into budgets for public services.

So yes it is hypocritical, it's entirely hypocritical to make huge cuts and complain about their effects.
Reply 41
Original post by Tempest II
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_red_than_dead

I'm implying the opposite of what is implied in this link

Bertrand Russell is your typical privileged idiot who people think is really smart but actually spouts the most uninformed and emotive gibberish, his whole History of Western Philosophy is based on a complete misunderstanding of the tradition, his Writings on Christianity are about the same standard of a primary school child who thinks he has grasped something new, no Russell your arguments were dealt with very clearly and concisely almost 2000 years ago, if you had actually bothered to read and condense the material written by the early Church philosophers you would know this.
Original post by whorace
Bertrand Russell is your typical privileged idiot who people think is really smart but actually spouts the most uninformed and emotive gibberish, his whole History of Western Philosophy is based on a complete misunderstanding of the tradition, his Writings on Christianity are about the same standard of a primary school child who thinks he has grasped something new, no Russell your arguments were dealt with very clearly and concisely almost 2000 years ago, if you had actually bothered to read and condense the material written by the early Church philosophers you would know this.

I don't actually know much about him but I believe I'd rather be dead than red which I'd the opposite to what he apparently said.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_red_than_dead

I'm implying the opposite of what is implied in this link
exactly shhh messed up ****
Original post by sw651
Actually the mirror generalized Tory cuts. But hey, at least we don't have a communist (Corbyn) in power.

If you want to lose all credibility, keep saying things like this. I don't support the man but calling him a communist is just plain stupidity.
Reply 45
Original post by Bulbasaur
If you want to lose all credibility, keep saying things like this. I don't support the man but calling him a communist is just plain stupidity.

I was making a facetious remark to be controversial, everyone else recognized it.
Original post by Bornblue
I'm not making this party political.
A reduction in spending means a cut in services.

Only if all funding is spent on front line services, which we all know it isn't.

I would hardly say 37% is nowhere near half. Further to that didn't Osborne tell them to draw up plans for around 60% cuts?

Yes, Osbourne told them to prepare for the worst. Not the worst bit of advice in the world.

It's a 37% cut in their government grant. Council's have numerous other ways of raising revenue- council tax, parking fines etc. I can't find out what Oxford county council's total expenditure is because their website is currently offline, but it likely amounts to a cut of around 10-15% to their budget. Which is no where near half.

I'm not even getting into a debate about the merits of austerity. But it is hypocritical to advocate and implement austerity and then complain about its causes.

The size, scale and necessity of front-line cuts upon expenditure reduction is entirely up for debate. As an extreme, are you saying a council could literally just cut all spending entirely after a 1% cut and David Cameron couldn't criticise the move, because 'austerity'?

Can I ask who you think knows more about the council finances, the councillors or Cameron? Given the former operate within it day in day out.

Who knows more about efficiently implementing an austerity drive?

I don't think he cared to be honest, he was being a politician, blaming councils for the cut so he wouldn't seem like the bad guy.

It was a private letter, and he's been getting flack about 'cuts' for FIVE YEARS.

It says a lot that his own party are saying that the cuts are unsustainable and they have no choice but to cut vital services.

A council disagrees with a cut to it's budget? Never.
That's what this is. Them being Tory councillors doesn't change what this boils down to.

Again, there's only so much red tape and inefficiency you can cut before you start eating into budgets for public services.

And how much is that?

So yes it is hypocritical, it's entirely hypocritical to make huge cuts and complain about their effects.

As above, nope. He's complaining about a specific set of cuts which he believes is unnecessary. Hypocrisy would be Cameron saying 'I want all councils to cut front-line services, except my council.' It's entirely clear the government expects front-line services to be protected by councils.
Original post by timetoella
exactly shhh messed up ****

What's messed up about not wanting to a communist? It's my personal view, I'm certainly not saying all "reds" should be killed, just that I would rather be dead than be one?
Original post by SophieSmall
I had no idea my city had one of the most deprived councils. Well today I learned.

Anyway...that's messed up. I don't understand the logic. :/

The logic is electoral of course. The Tories cutting public money, then redistributing it to their own back yard. Apparently these poor put-upon Surrey people with their fancy jobs etc etc just can't afford to pay for it all themselves :frown:
Original post by scrotgrot
The logic is electoral of course. The Tories cutting public money, then redistributing it to their own back yard. Apparently these poor put-upon Surrey people with their fancy jobs etc etc just can't afford to pay for it all themselves :frown:

Ahhh yes forgot about good old corruption and greed.
What's messed up about not wanting to a communist? It's my personal view, I'm certainly not saying all "reds" should be killed, just that I would rather be dead than be one?

I'm pretty sure I can't think of anything more communist than the state taking money off poor people and giving it to Communist/Conservative Party loyalists

They need to remove the limit on the number of times I can rep you
Original post by enaayrah
They need to remove the limit on the number of times I can rep you

Bae <3
Bae <3

I think TSR are run by Tories tbh
I'm pretty sure I can't think of anything more communist than the state taking money off poor people and giving it to Communist/Conservative Party loyalists

Last I checked, cutting back the state and reducing council budgets definitely isn't communist.
Original post by enaayrah
I think TSR are run by Tories tbh

It always makes me chuckle when I hear that TSR is run by Tories. It's fairly left wing on here.
It always makes me chuckle when I hear that TSR is run by Tories. It's fairly left wing on here.

I was joking :redface:
Last I checked, cutting back the state and reducing council budgets definitely isn't communist.

Wait wait wait, I thought it was only communism that impoverished the people and with capitalism it was money baths every night

Lucky me. I actually live in Theresa May's constituency.
Original post by respiringmedic
Lucky me. I actually live in Theresa May's constituency.

The pathetic Gloucestershire Tory hangers-on didn't even manage to get anything out of this, yet I'm sure we will dutifully continue to vote Tory

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending