The Student Room Group

Why do bands have a guitarist and bassist playing bass guitar?

I don't know much about music but I wanted to ask why do bands have a guitarist and a bassist playing bass guitar? Is having both essential to get a particular sound the band wants? For example if fall out boy didn't have a bassist playing bass guitar their sings would sound very different?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you mean to say that the guitarist plays bass? In my experience guitarists play guitars and bassists play bass guitars.

Bass adds something rih to music and while the overall song would sound the same, something would overall be missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhxycDKlaf4

This is metal music but you can hear the difference.
Original post by hsv
I don't know much about music but I wanted to ask why do bands have a guitarist and a bassist playing bass guitar? Is having both essential to get a particular sound the band wants? For example if fall out boy didn't have a bassist playing bass guitar their sings would sound very different?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of it is about having something happening at a wide range of frequencies. The bass guitar produces notes of a low frequency, cymbals and vocals tend to be quite high and guitar is kind of in the middle. Music which is lacking in bass frequencies doesn't feel 'complete', although if you've only listened to music on television or through laptop speakers or cheap earphones then you probably won't notice much difference.

If a rock band like Fall Out Boy didn't have a bassist then the overall sound would be thin and tinny and it wouldn't sound full.

Some bands rely on the bass for melodic purposes, too, rather than just filling in the frequencies. Plus the bass guitar has a different tone to a normal guitar, even if they're playing the same note. Some artists like to exploit that different sound as it works better for what they are trying to do.

Hope that helps.
Give the original ...And Justice For All album a listen and then check this out for a comparison. Lars and James thought it'd be great fun to add to Newsted's hazing by turning his bass tracks down on the original, some fans have taken it upon themselves to "remaster" the album by enhancing the bass - this might help answer your question

[video="youtube;6kqTcLwUYj8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kqTcLwUYj8[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest