The Student Room Group

I need help chooseing my A-Levels!

Hi I am secondary school student chossing my A Levels soon and I would appreciate some feedback regarding the subjects I am interested in. I am considering maths, history, classic civilisation and something else I have not chosen yet. I would be really happy if someone could give me an insight into these subjects. I have already been to a taster day at the college I am attending, but the sessions were only very short and I didn't really get to know the subject matter that well. thankyou :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emily Howes
Hi I am secondary school student chossing my A Levels soon and I would appreciate some feedback regarding the subjects I am interested in. I am considering maths, history, classic civilisation and something else I have not chosen yet. I would be really happy if someone could give me an insight into these subjects. I have already been to a taster day at the college I am attending, but the sessions were only very short and I didn't really get to know the subject matter that well. thankyou :smile:

I know this sounds so silly, but do you have any sort of idea what you'd like to study after sixth form? I know, I'm doing a degree and I still don't know what I want to do! Just some degrees will require you to do certain A-levels :smile:
Not English
Reply 3
If you are good at maths and enjoy it, maths is quite good. I think that Classical Civilisations is very similar to English Literature, but I've heard that it's really interesting.

History, I don't really know much about, though, sorry!
Reply 4
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
I know this sounds so silly, but do you have any sort of idea what you'd like to study after sixth form? I know, I'm doing a degree and I still don't know what I want to do! Just some degrees will require you to do certain A-levels :smile:

Hi, yes I am thinking of going into architecture (hence the reason for my choice of maths) but I would still like to keep one or two A Levels for the subjects I just enjoy doing like classics for example.
Maths is a really great core subject useful for professional level work - from law to medicine.
Reply 6
Original post by Gogregg
If you are good at maths and enjoy it, maths is quite good. I think that Classical Civilisations is very similar to English Literature, but I've heard that it's really interesting.

History, I don't really know much about, though, sorry!

Thankyou! You have made me more confident in chosing Classics and Maths :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by drriversong
Not English

Haha I have heard that English is quite tricky and boring if you are not into it :smile:
Hi, yes I am thinking of going into architecture (hence the reason for my choice of maths) but I would still like to keep one or two A Levels for the subjects I just enjoy doing like classics for example.

Are you planning on building a portfolio during the next year and a bit? As most universities will require one when assessing whether to offer you a place. Some places will accept A-level art in it's place :smile: most the people I know who took classical civilisations went on to do english based degrees ^.^
Reply 9
Are you planning on building a portfolio during the next year and a bit? As most universities will require one when assessing whether to offer you a place. Some places will accept A-level art in it's place :smile: most the people I know who took classical civilisations went on to do english based degrees ^.^

I have many designs and 3D perspective drawings from my Graphics GCSE course in a portfolio at the moment and if I can do A level art, I will ahve a portfolio ready before University. :biggrin:
I have many designs and 3D perspective drawings from my Graphics GCSE course in a portfolio at the moment and if I can do A level art, I will ahve a portfolio ready before University. :biggrin:

Obviously it will always depend on the uni ^.^ But the most interesting requirements I have come across are for the University of Manchester

'AAA Typical offer
Specific subjects excluded for entry:
General Studies.
Information:
Grades AAA. Mixture of science/maths and humanities/arts subjects preferred. Many candidates offer Art/Art related A levels - but it is not essential. Applicants often mix arts and science subjects such as Art, Maths and a language, but Maths, Physics and Chemistry is perfectly acceptable, as would be History, English and Religous Studies. However, candidates who combine, for example, Fine Art & Design and Technology for two of their three A Levels or who offer sports-science or similar put themselves at a disadvantage. General Studies is welcomed but not normally included as part of the standard offer. Two AS-levels may be accepted in place of one A-level.'
so you initial choices seem pretty fine as long as you have the portfolio to back up your grades ^.^
Maths.

IT - for CAD programmes?

Geography - for understanding the context in which buildings are created? urbanisation, globalisation etc..

Geology - understanding how the earth moves and processes.

Physics uses applications of mathematics so is really helpful.

Law - for planning and construction law? Possible secondary career?
Reply 12
Obviously it will always depend on the uni ^.^ But the most interesting requirements I have come across are for the University of Manchester

'AAA Typical offer
Specific subjects excluded for entry:
General Studies.
Information:
Grades AAA. Mixture of science/maths and humanities/arts subjects preferred. Many candidates offer Art/Art related A levels - but it is not essential. Applicants often mix arts and science subjects such as Art, Maths and a language, but Maths, Physics and Chemistry is perfectly acceptable, as would be History, English and Religous Studies. However, candidates who combine, for example, Fine Art & Design and Technology for two of their three A Levels or who offer sports-science or similar put themselves at a disadvantage. General Studies is welcomed but not normally included as part of the standard offer. Two AS-levels may be accepted in place of one A-level.'
so you initial choices seem pretty fine as long as you have the portfolio to back up your grades ^.^

Thankyou! This has helped me a lot, I am actually thinking about going to Manchester University, or Leeds (where I live). Looks like I am alright then with my choices.
Thankyou! This has helped me a lot, I am actually thinking about going to Manchester University, or Leeds (where I live). Looks like I am alright then with my choices.

unnaaaayy unaaaay (sorry current Leeds student here :tongue: )
Reply 14
Original post by Protagoras
Maths.

IT - for CAD programmes?

Geography - for understanding the context in which buildings are created? urbanisation, globalisation etc..

Geology - understanding how the earth moves and processes.

Physics uses applications of mathematics so is really helpful.

Law - for planning and construction law? Possible secondary career?

ICT and Physics sound quite useful, thanks :smile:
Reply 15
unnaaaayy unaaaay (sorry current Leeds student here :tongue: )

Haha :biggrin: are you in university?
Haha :biggrin: are you in university?

Yeah 1st year Uni of Leeds student ^.^ Though based in the business school so :tongue: though not from Leeds I'm afraid.
Reply 17
Yeah 1st year Uni of Leeds student ^.^ Though based in the business school so :tongue: though not from Leeds I'm afraid.

I have been to Leeds Uni, I really like it. Do you mind me asking what you are studying?
I have been to Leeds Uni, I really like it. Do you mind me asking what you are studying?

BSc International Business ^.^
Reply 19
BSc International Business ^.^

Wow, I wish I had the brains to study that , I bet that opens a lot of doors.

Quick Reply

Latest