The Student Room Group

Got an offer from medical school, but want to go to a different uni

I got an offer from Manchester for medicine a couple of days ago. Naturally I'm very happy and feel lucky because so many people don't get places at medical school, but at the same I feel slightly sad.
I didn't apply to the medical school I wanted to (UCL) because my school advised me against it- they said I would get automatically rejected unless I had a contrasting A-level (I only do maths and sciences). So I didn't apply. However, I'm seeing people who do the same subjects as me getting offers from UCL and I've realised that they were wrong. I absolutely loved UCL when I went- it's exactly where I envision myself at uni. So I was kinda hoping that the unis I applied to this year would reject me, so that I could apply to UCL next year.
But now that I've got an offer from Manchester, I feel that it would be stupid to throw that away for my dream of UCL. It would also be insensitive because lots of my friends were rejected from there. However, I didn't like Manchester that much. It was okay when I went, but I put in down as my fourth option.

What should I do? Should I give up on UCL and accept my Manc offer?

Scroll to see replies

How would you feel if you passed up your Manchester offer, reapplied to UCL next year and got four rejections?

This could be your only chance of studying medicine - are you willing to pass that up for a chance at UCL?

(Edited to add - I studied at Manchester - though I didn't study medicine there. If there's anything you'd like to know about the city / uni then I can probably tell you :smile:)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by suzyyyyxo
I got an offer from Manchester for medicine a couple of days ago. Naturally I'm very happy and feel lucky because so many people don't get places at medical school, but at the same I feel slightly sad.
I didn't apply to the medical school I wanted to (UCL) because my school advised me against it- they said I would get automatically rejected unless I had a contrasting A-level (I only do maths and sciences). So I didn't apply. However, I'm seeing people who do the same subjects as me getting offers from UCL and I've realised that they were wrong. I absolutely loved UCL when I went- it's exactly where I envision myself at uni. So I was kinda hoping that the unis I applied to this year would reject me, so that I could apply to UCL next year.
But now that I've got an offer from Manchester, I feel that it would be stupid to throw that away for my dream of UCL. It would also be insensitive because lots of my friends were rejected from there. However, I didn't like Manchester that much. It was okay when I went, but I put in down as my fourth option.

Like you said, you are very lucky to get an offer into any med school. I would blame this situation on your school for not allowing you to apply to UCL, because it was a crazy decision that your school made for you. I'll be applying to med school sometime this year and my cousins went to Machester and they are both very qualified doctors, so I have no doubt about the teaching there. However, it's colder in Manchester than it is in London... You'll be there for a while, but seeing as you didn't apply to UCL, it would be pointless giving up your offer at Machester.

That's my personal opinion anyways... Good luck and tell your school their careers and university advice sucks!
Reply 3
I got an offer from Manchester for medicine a couple of days ago.

It was okay when I went, but I put in down as my fourth option.

So you've had 3 rejections plus a Manchester offer?

Grab Manchester with both hands!
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
How would you feel if you passed up your Manchester offer, reapplied to UCL next year and got four rejections?

This could be your only chance of studying medicine - are you willing to pass that up for a chance at UCL?

(Edited to add - I studied at Manchester - though I didn't study medicine there. If there's anything you'd like to know about the city / uni then I can probably tell you :smile:)

It would be pretty **** to get four rejections next year, yeah. I guess reapplying is super risky, I didn't really think about that :/

To be honest, my desire to be a doctor >>>>> my desire to go to UCL. Hmm. So true, if I didn't get in next year/the year after/the year after that then that would be a lot more devestating than not going to UCL.

Ohh, fantastic! I've heard a lot of negativity about Manchester- is it really crime ridden and dirty? That's mainly what I've heard about it :/

Original post by AMaster1
Like you said, you are very lucky to get an offer into any med school. I would blame this situation on your school for not allowing you to apply to UCL, because it was a crazy decision that your school made for you. I'll be applying to med school sometime this year and my cousins went to Machester and they are both very qualified doctors, so I have no doubt about the teaching there. However, it's colder in Manchester than it is in London... You'll be there for a while, but seeing as you didn't apply to UCL, it would be pointless giving up your offer at Machester.

That's my personal opinion anyways... Good luck and tell your school their careers and university advice sucks!

Thanks for providing your opinion :smile: Did your cousins enjoy their time at Manchester?
Good luck with your application for next year by the way :biggrin:

And I did enjoy having a good rant at my university counsellor. They felt pretty guilty :lol:
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
So you've had 3 rejections plus a Manchester offer?

Grab Manchester with both hands!

Nope, I've only got one offer so far and one rejection (Cambridge). Waiting on the other two but I'm not sure about them as my interviews at both weren't amazing :frown:

That's another point to make actually- if I was going to reapply next year, I'd also be reapplying to Cambridge
Reply 6

I applied to Imperial for medicine and my school told me not to apply as it was risky.

I got an offer.

Schools aren't always right!

At the same time, Medicine is a competitive subject and to get a place at Manchester is great. You can't really be picky, but if you're convinced that you won't be happy there, there really is no point going there to drop out in the first year.
(edited 8 years ago)
It would be pretty **** to get four rejections next year, yeah. I guess reapplying is super risky, I didn't really think about that :/

To be honest, my desire to be a doctor >>>>> my desire to go to UCL. Hmm. So true, if I didn't get in next year/the year after/the year after that then that would be a lot more devestating than not going to UCL.

Ohh, fantastic! I've heard a lot of negativity about Manchester- is it really crime ridden and dirty? That's mainly what I've heard about it :/

If you're not willing to take that risk, then I would strongly advise going to Manchester - it sounds like getting 4 rejections next year and never becoming a doctor would be pretty devastating for you.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Manchester. The city has crime, like any other (including London!) but if you take the normal precautions that you would in any big city (don't walk home alone at night when you're drunk, for instance, lock your front door etc. etc.) and generally don't act like an idiot then you will almost certainly be fine. Despite being petite and female, I had no problems living in Manchester. I don't think it's any dirtier (or cleaner) than any other city in the UK - it's pretty average from that point of view!

Don't forget that at UCL you would be living in halls, most likely in central London, for first year, but after that you would move out into a shared house elsewhere in London. Housing in London is expensive and most of the areas that you are likely to be able to afford as a student are not exactly bucolic paradises and they will be several miles (or more) from campus (they don't show you those areas on the open day!)

It sounds like you've not really visited Manchester a lot before. I would suggest that before you make any rash decisions, you go and have a proper look at the city. Perhaps you could take a day trip there (or even stay overnight in a youth hostel) and go and have a look at the relevant local areas - Fallowfield, the Curry Mile, through the university and the city centre being the main areas that are relevant to students (I put this together a while back - though it's not exhaustive by any means https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=53.44142%2C-2.217522&spn=0.0034%2C0.009162&msa=0&mid=z0nMtr82V_N4.kRiA8Y5HmCmQ )

There's also some useful reading for you over in the UoM forum, namely:
General FAQ http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2014813
Accommodation FAQ http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577 (applications are now open, and you just need to be an offer holder - you don't need to have firmed / insured them)

If I had my time over again, I'd study at Manchester again in a heartbeat - and I say that as someone who has now graduated and lives in London.
Thanks for providing your opinion :smile: Did your cousins enjoy their time at Manchester?
Good luck with your application for next year by the way :biggrin:

And I did enjoy having a good rant at my university counsellor. They felt pretty guilty :lol:

And rightfully, they should. Much like yourself, they didn't really want to go to Manchester, but they both did and turned into splendid doctors. My other cousin went to Liverpool and she's currently in Spain for her international. They did enjoy their time in Manchester and found that it's also much cheaper to live up there. Good luck! It's a difficult decision, but studying medicine, you know that whatever you do, it'll be for the benefit for yourself and everyone else too
And rightfully, they should. Much like yourself, they didn't really want to go to Manchester, but they both did and turned into splendid doctors. My other cousin went to Liverpool and she's currently in Spain for her international. They did enjoy their time in Manchester and found that it's also much cheaper to live up there. Good luck! It's a difficult decision, but studying medicine, you know that whatever you do, it'll be for the benefit for yourself and everyone else too

Everyone else being your future patients...

"I'm applying for medicine, and I was rejected from Oxford university last week due to a poor BMAT score. I've got interviews at Birmingham, UEA and King's College London over the next couple of weeks/months."
That's what your quoted on 4/12/2015,but it did not include Manchester.
That is very interesting that Manchester offer you a place while you did not even apply there.
Reply 11
To be honest, my desire to be a doctor >>>>> my desire to go to UCL.

You've answered your own question!

Never give up a medical school place, else you'll be kicking yourself in the likely scenario next year when you're left without any offers - plus you lose a year for no good reason.
Take it from a Londoner who has also lived in Manchester: I think the latter provides a MUCH better experience for students!

There are 3 big unis in Manchester, which allows you to be part of a great student community. In London, the proportion of students to general population is way smaller.

Everything is much more expensive in London: accommodation, food and drink, restaurants, bars etc. Also, Manchester might be smaller than London, but there are so many bars, restaurants and shops packed conveniently into one nice, area.

I also think the people in Manchester are a lot more chilled, friendly and easy to get on with. In terms of the students, there is a great mix of people from all over the country with different backgrounds.

Honestly, I would be shocked if you went to Manchester and found you still hated it after a couple of weeks there. One of the best places to be a student!
Reply 13
Original post by Timewilltellu
"I'm applying for medicine, and I was rejected from Oxford university last week due to a poor BMAT score. I've got interviews at Birmingham, UEA and King's College London over the next couple of weeks/months."
That is very interesting that Manchester offer you a place while you did not even apply there.

Yeah, my friend and I share this account for our medical queries. Lay off the detective work for a bit, yeah?
Original post by Timewilltellu

Plot twist! :shock:
Reply 15

It's good to hear that people who were in the same situation as me ended up enjoying their time at Manchester - makes me a bit more positive about the whole thing. Thanks so much for the help :h:

Original post by Mathaddict
Take it from a Londoner who has also lived in Manchester: I think the latter provides a MUCH better experience for students!

There are 3 big unis in Manchester, which allows you to be part of a great student community. In London, the proportion of students to general population is way smaller.

Everything is much more expensive in London: accommodation, food and drink, restaurants, bars etc. Also, Manchester might be smaller than London, but there are so many bars, restaurants and shops packed conveniently into one nice, area.

I also think the people in Manchester are a lot more chilled, friendly and easy to get on with. In terms of the students, there is a great mix of people from all over the country with different backgrounds.

Honestly, I would be shocked if you went to Manchester and found you still hated it after a couple of weeks there. One of the best places to be a student!

Ahh, thanks for this! I was quite worried about London being so ridiculously expensive actually, so Manchester being a lot cheaper is a major plus.

I've generally only heard the negatives of Manchester from my peers but you've made it sound a lot better :biggrin:

Original post by Beska
You've answered your own question!

Never give up a medical school place, else you'll be kicking yourself in the likely scenario next year when you're left without any offers - plus you lose a year for no good reason.

Almost everybody I've spoken to has said the same thing, haha! I am silly to even consider rejecting my place, yeah.

Out of curiosity, where did you study? :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Mathaddict
Plot twist! :shock:

Haha no, see below. My friend and I share an account :tongue:

Yeah, my friend and I share this account for our medical queries. Lay off the detective work for a bit, yeah?
Reply 17
Almost everybody I've spoken to has said the same thing, haha! I am silly to even consider rejecting my place, yeah.

Out of curiosity, where did you study? :smile:

Newcastle. :smile:
'hey everyone, look at me, I know the answer to this question but I got an offer'

Come on, are you serious with this thread?
Reply 19
Original post by raconner
'hey everyone, look at me, I know the answer to this question but I got an offer'

Come on, are you serious with this thread?

I'm not boasting about my offer, I'm asking a genuine question. I'm not the type to boast- if I was, surely it would just be easier to post a thread entitled: "YAY GOT AN OFFER SUCK IT ALL YOU OTHER LOSERS WHO HAVENT GOT ONE hahaha I'm amazing", right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending