The Student Room Group

Stephen Fry quits Twitter after backlash against joke on his friend

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chief Wiggum
I am conflicted. I don't really like Stephen Fry, and I don't like the "perpetually offended Twitter brigade".

I think Stephen Fry seems more in the right in this case...

If you don't mind me asking, what is it you don't like about him?
Original post by ivybridge
Personally, I quite like Stephen Fry and I think the offence taken is ridiculous. However, he probably should have just remembered that he was speaking on national television... he wasn't saying it to his friend or a group of them where they'd all know the nature of their relationship and take it for what it was. Nonetheless, they didn't seem that fussed themselves so I probably would have just stopped complaining about nothing if the person who's supposed to be 'oh so offended' didn't actually give a monkeys.

Stephen Fry's probably used to being around mentally stable people who know how to take a joke.
Original post by Unkempt_One
Stephen Fry's probably used to being around mentally stable people who know how to take a joke.

Yes but this is my point, he was not around just a group of 'mentally stable' people, as you put it, he was on national television.
Yes but this is my point, he was not around just a group of 'mentally stable' people, as you put it, he was on national television.

Yeah, and most people watching national television are completely sane and probably hardly use Twitter.
Yeah, and most people watching national television are completely sane and probably hardly use Twitter.

I doubt that very much.

I'm not sure why you're trying to pick a row with me? I don't think he should have received all of the criticism for his comments but I also get that it probably was not the best thing to say.
He quits Twitter every other day. He needs to get a life if he thinks there's power in such actions.
Original post by Drewski
If your thought can be condensed to 140 characters it isn't worth much in the first place. Why you think other people should listen to you is baffling.

Yet here you are.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
If your thought can be condensed to 140 characters it isn't worth much in the first place. Why you think other people should listen to you is baffling.

One of your trademark sassy comments is featured on a popular youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-evKtoPN-8 ~ 0:20.
:lol:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Yet here you are.

Spoiler

Drewski is on Twitter???
Original post by SmashConcept
Drewski is on Twitter???

His post was < 140 char...

*sigh*

My whit is wasted on you plebs.
Reply 30
Original post by Howard
He was good in Blackadder but beyond that I find him really tedious and ever so pompous. Not that I mix in such circles but he's the celebrity I'd least like to sit next too at a dinner party.

He's in Blackadder??

But yeah I agree with the rest

Posted from TSR Mobile
I doubt that very much.

I'm not sure why you're trying to pick a row with me? I don't think he should have received all of the criticism for his comments but I also get that it probably was not the best thing to say.

I just don't get why you're insisting it was a bad thing to say. The only reason it was blown up was because of these melodramatic ****ing clowns on twitter who want the world to be a puritan, sterile vacuum.
I just don't get why you're insisting it was a bad thing to say. The only reason it was blown up was because of these melodramatic ****ing clowns on twitter who want the world to be a puritan, sterile vacuum.

Oh my word, I swear people on the site just want to argue. Can you actually read? I said that it wasn't really an issue but he probably would have been better off not saying it.

My.
Reply 33
Original post by Andy98
He's in Blackadder??

But yeah I agree with the rest

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course. General/Lord Melchett.
We've reached this nauseating point in the Internet's history where people are outraged on other people's behalfs in order to try and draw the limelight towards their own pathetic existences, its the evolution from vicariously living through reality tv stars. To be honest these 'offended' individuals can **** right off.

Stupid news sites like the BBC quoting random tweets in news stories in order to show various opinions on things isn't helping
Original post by Carpe Diem Jay
One of your trademark sassy comments is featured on a popular youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-evKtoPN-8 ~ 0:20.
:lol:

Yeah I saw that too :lol:
Original post by callum_law
He quits Twitter every other day. He needs to get a life if he thinks there's power in such actions.

What indication is there that quitting Twitter is intended to influence anyone...?

Maybe he's just sick of the bloody site, can't blame him
Original post by Architecture-er
What indication is there that quitting Twitter is intended to influence anyone...?

Maybe he's just sick of the bloody site, can't blame him

True, but he knows this only engorges the discussion he potentially is trying to stifle. It simply seems awfully dramatic, like a teenager who's had their PSP taken off them: "I am gonna run away, far away where you can't find me, and yes you better be sure that you'll never see me again!" Oh don't say that! Come back and let us love you!

I do apologise. Bringing back a few things from my childhood there.
I have to admit I was quite surprised when I heard the comment (not enough to bitch about it on twitter), but I didn't know that they knew each other.
Reply 39
Original post by Howard
Of course. General/Lord Melchett.

Oh yeah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending