The Student Room Group

GSCE and A level grades good for doctor?

Hi guys, i want to be a doctor when i'm older. Assuming i get A+ in everything (impossible), would this be ok?
GSCE:
(Non optional: English, Maths, Science (I'm aiming for triple)) I've chosen: French, Physcology and Sociology.
A - level:
English Language, Physcology, Chemistry, Biology. Maybe also Physics.
Thanks!!

Update: Meant subjects not grades in title, sorry!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Egirl127
Hi guys, i want to be a doctor when i'm older. Assuming i get A+ in everything (impossible), would this be ok?
GSCE:
(Non optional: English, Maths, Science (I'm aiming for triple)) I've chosen: French, Physcology and Sociology.
A - level:
Thanks!!

For A Level you will definitely need Chemistry and Biology, and then either Maths or Physics :smile: I'd say you should do Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Psychology, as English Language is less relevant :smile: Your GCSE subjects won't really matter as long as you get good grades in them
Reply 2
Hey! I want to be a doctor too haha ^-^
Chemistry is compulsory for all medical schools, and most will stay open to you if you do biology so definitely to chemistry and biology. You can have any other A level after but it's better to do maths or physics. Personally, I'd say do maths with statistics because with A level physics the content overlaps with maths with mechanics :tongue:
I've already chosen Chem, Bio & Maths with Stats
You're GCSEs are fine, just do additional or triple science (which I see you said)
You don't need A*s in everything :tongue: You could get let off with a couple of Bs, but As & A*s are best, and it's not impossible lol you can do anything if you set your mind to it :smile:)
sure you need at least AAB for most uni's at A-Level to go into Medicine. I know Oxbridge want A*A*A or something ridiculous for it. Hard one haha good luck
Reply 4
Thanks guys. Very helpful.
Sora_ thanks for the insperational last sentance!!!
Also, i'm not dropping English. It's just like... comforting, you know? I know i'm good at english, so i would like to have one subject i'll be sure about. I'll either take physics as a 5th subject, or drop Physcology and take physics instead. But i don't really want to take maths. I wouldn't do so well. I find it a lot harder then all sciences. How does that sound? Thanks.
Reply 5
A lot of people say to do physics with maths, and that it's a lottt easier if they're taken together because the overlap with content, even though they don't enjoy maths :tongue: You can do 5 A levels? :redface: Woah I thought 4 was max and only for people who got an average of A, BUT 5! I never knew that was allowed, Good luck :smile:)
I know I'm going to go crazy with 3 lmao
As long as you do biology and chemistry, you'll be accepted. The maths is just like an extra that would help you but it's not compulsory so if you love English, definitely do it because it's your passion :smile:
An I'm glad you wrote English Language lol I was just going to say that colleges & Unis value Eng land more than Lit :redface:
Original post by caitlinford3
sure you need at least AAB for most uni's at A-Level to go into Medicine. I know Oxbridge want A*A*A or something ridiculous for it. Hard one haha good luck

I think it's minimum AAA but not 100% sure :smile:
GSCE:
A - level:
Thanks!!

Yes but how old are you? Bearing in mind grades often dont determine you getting into med school since thousands will have the same if not better it will come down to the UKCAT and the interview aswell as PS aslong as you can get straight As or AAB for a level youll be in with a shout

Also get work experience this is a big thing
AAA at A level is definitely needed. Biology and chemistry are requirements. I would suggest not doing 5 subjects as that will be a lot of extra work and stress (most people I know who did 5 AS levels ended up dropping one half way through the year)
You also need to get work eperience. Short term stuff like a weeks experience in a hospital is really useful, but long term work experience like helping once a week in a care home is also required.
what year are you in?
You do not need physics or maths, it is a common misconception. Nor will having either (in addition to biology and chemistry) help you to get in anywhere (except Cambridge). Whether maths and physics would help you with the course content itself is a different matter.
GSCE

Definitely need at least a C in english :colondollar:
/s
Hi I want to be a doctor too :smile: …'virtual hi5'. Ur gcse subjects r a good choice n so r ur A level subjects cos u definitely need chemistry to be a doctor and u should take biology as well to keep ur options open. I recommend u to take physics since u r not doing maths. I'm taking biology, chemistry, physics n maths (mechanical) for my A levels.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gingerbread101
For A Level you will definitely need Chemistry and Biology, and then either Maths or Physics :smile: I'd say you should do Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Psychology, as English Language is less relevant :smile: Your GCSE subjects won't really matter as long as you get good grades in them

Original post by Sora_
Hey! I want to be a doctor too haha ^-^
Chemistry is compulsory for all medical schools, and most will stay open to you if you do biology so definitely to chemistry and biology. You can have any other A level after but it's better to do maths or physics. Personally, I'd say do maths with statistics because with A level physics the content overlaps with maths with mechanics :tongue:
I've already chosen Chem, Bio & Maths with Stats
You're GCSEs are fine, just do additional or triple science (which I see you said)
You don't need A*s in everything :tongue: You could get let off with a couple of Bs, but As & A*s are best, and it's not impossible lol you can do anything if you set your mind to it :smile:)

Just to point out, only Cambridge requires three sciences and only one college at Cambridge requires maths.

GSCE:
A - level:
Thanks!!

Those subjects are fine. There is no point doing 5. After Chemistry and Biology pick which subjects you enjoy and are most likely to get an A in,
GSCE:
A - level:
Thanks!!

Hiya, as most people are saying Biology and Chemistry are a given. Your other subjects are completely up to you, so many people do so many different courses. I know when I applied the variety was massive from English Literature, Economics or Computing. Most likely it's on what you enjoy and what you think you'll get an A in.

Personally, I did Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Litertature. As a personal preference I wasn't a fan of doing Literature mainly due to studying three very heavy science subjects alongside.

Good luck with your choices!
GSCE:
A - level:
Thanks!!

Yeah English Language, Psychology, Chemistry, and Biology should be fine I think.

Maybe just double check about English Language, because it might be considered not very respected compared with English Literature, but I do think it would still be OK.
Reply 16
Original post by Nimisha1303
Hi I want to be a doctor too :smile: …'virtual hi5'. Ur gcse subjects r a good choice n so r ur A level subjects cos u definitely need chemistry to be a doctor and u should take biology as well to keep ur options open. I recommend u to take physics since u r not doing maths. I'm taking biology, chemistry, physics n maths (mechanical) for my A levels.

Virtual hi5 back! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending