The Student Room Group

need to get a A*/a in yerar 9 GCSE'S

hey there. In year nine. got gcse's (early) in may. I really need revision help and a load of luck
got to do
spnaish
maths
bio
chem
physics

at the moment i get a* in biology. chemistry-b physics -c Spanish-c's and maths-b any tips welcome

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HS2030
hey there. In year nine. got gcse's (early) in may. I really need revision help and a load of luck
got to do
spnaish
maths
bio
chem
physics

at the moment i get a* in biology. chemistry-b physics -c Spanish-c's and maths-b any tips welcome

As if they are making you do them so early, probably to avoid the new GCSEs.

What do you struggle with the most?
Reply 2
your grades are quite good for a year 9 especially with the new gcse reform but would it not be better for you to wait until year 11 to do your exams I'm pretty sure you could straight A*-B gcse if you wait an extra two years and try really hard instead of rushing into gcses unnecessarily early. Another thing to consider is that since AS levels no longer exist when applying to universities some of the most recent grades of yours they will have is GCSE it would really benefit you to make sure they're excellent grades.
Original post by TyanaChu
your grades are quite good for a year 9 especially with the new gcse reform but would it not be better for you to wait until year 11 to do your exams I'm pretty sure you could straight A*-B gcse if you wait an extra two years and try really hard instead of rushing into gcses unnecessarily early. Another thing to consider is that since AS levels no longer exist when applying to universities some of the most recent grades of yours they will have is GCSE it would really benefit you to make sure they're excellent grades.

Doubt the OP has a choice
Reply 4
Good grief, I wonder what grades you get in English...
Reply 5
Original post by TyanaChu

yh. i know right. i literally went down on my knees and begged my teachers to withdraw me but they wouldn't. they said i have 2 take it this year and i will ave 2 go or get a u:/
so basically, i have 2 do it this year.
Reply 6
Original post by ScienceFantatic
As if they are making you do them so early, probably to avoid the new GCSEs.

What do you struggle with the most?

physics
Reply 7
Original post by Kyle1198
Good grief, I wonder what grades you get in English...

from the new one its leveled 1-9 & i got an 8
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HS2030
got to do
spnaish
maths
bio
chem
physics

No-one can MAKE you do them early - get your parents involved as the school needs their permission for early entry! You will be disadvantaged by having the 'wrong' grades - letters and not the new numbers.

Unis won't want this - and it's unlikely you will get as good results as you will in Year 11.

You DO have a choice.
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
No-one can MAKE you do them early - get your parents involved as the school needs their permission for early entry! You will be disadvantaged by having the 'wrong' grades - letters and not the new numbers.

Unis won't want this - and it's unlikely you will get as good results as you will in Year 11.

You DO have a choice.

omg really. my parents? theyre asian
mum:"what a great opportunity"
Dad: "and then you can do further and additional GCSE's ! like me!"
I dont think tha'll work.
so i will have to do it
:frown:
Original post by HS2030
so i will have to do it

Tell them that your grades won't be as good and you're likely to get mostly b's at the end. It's unlikely your GCSEs will be as good as year 11, it's a terrible opportunity.
Original post by HS2030
physics

I struggled with physics too in y9( was at a B) now I'm at an A*( time is key rly). The key with physics is just learning the equations and knowing how to rearrange them and understand the key concepts so you can apply them, are you doing unit 1,2 and 3?
Reply 12
I struggled with physics too in y9( was at a B) now I'm at an A*( time is key rly). The key with physics is just learning the equations and knowing how to rearrange them and understand the key concepts so you can apply them, are you doing unit 1,2 and 3?

yes and its sooo depressing honestly
Reply 13
Tell them that your grades won't be as good and you're likely to get mostly b's at the end. It's unlikely your GCSEs will be as good as year 11, it's a terrible opportunity.

but they know i got a* and then they'll be so disadpointed in me and tell me off for getting bad gardes coz my little sister geets straight a* with no revision or tutoring. its like that with my entore family and im the only one who doesnt get as good grades
Original post by HS2030
from the new one its leveled 1-9 & i got an 8

If 8 is on the lower end, I would not be surprised given your written English...
Original post by HS2030
so i will have to do it

Surely they understand it will mess your uni application? Your grades will be in the wrong format and you'll get NO allowance for the fact they were done early!

What are you going to do next year? You'll HAVE to sit the new Maths GCSE [if you do Maths] as well and that will count as a resit!

I cannot believe your school has read the advice from Exam boards - I'm a teacher - we've been told NOT to do this anymore given the new GCSEs..
Reply 16
Surely they understand it will mess your uni application? Your grades will be in the wrong format and you'll get NO allowance for the fact they were done early!

What are you going to do next year? You'll HAVE to sit the new Maths GCSE [if you do Maths] as well and that will count as a resit!

I cannot believe your school has read the advice from Exam boards - I'm a teacher - we've been told NOT to do this anymore given the new GCSEs..

my school is made up of a bunch of idiots. besides, from the 290 people that applied, 274 people got a uni, so my school thinks they ar edoing fine {sigh} ill tell my teacher tho. thanks :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Kyle1198
If 8 is on the lower end, I would not be surprised given your written English...

its on the upper end u doof :tongue:
Original post by HS2030
my school is made up of a bunch of idiots. besides, from the 290 people that applied, 274 people got a uni, so my school thinks they ar edoing fine {sigh} ill tell my teacher tho. thanks :smile:

Unless you sit the new Maths GCSE your results [and those of your friends] won't count in the League tables!

This is a new scenario - we had an e-mail about it from Exam boards.
Reply 19
Unless you sit the new Maths GCSE your results [and those of your friends] won't count in the League tables!

This is a new scenario - we had an e-mail about it from Exam boards.

:eek:
thanks muttley!!! ill tell my teachers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest