The Student Room Group

Anyone else piss around in class and get good grades?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah. I got phone calls home regularly and then topped the class in exams. Teacher's face was priceless :lol:
Haha lol to be fair with bio, maths and chem A level it's not that hard to learn it all in the last 2/3 months. The people who do the best in my classes are the lazy ones who piss about for the whole year but actually get down to business and revise efficiently and learn the whole spec in the last few months. Would not say we are the smartest, we just know how to revise and memorize stuff in time for the exam. I can't remember half the stuff I did in economics last year even though I got above 90%

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh ye. I just close me eyes n let de answers come to me from beyond.

Spoiler

If you're actually trying to work and stay employed in a professional career, you will need as much proper information as possible.
Original post by intelligent con
Anyone else one of those naturally intelligent people (like me) who can do no work whatsoever and insult the teacher but still get the best grades in the class?

You are just wasting your education and probs distracting others
I don't think this happens after GCSEs.

People who do well and claim to have 'done no work' at A Level or Uni are usually lying.

Perhaps they have fantastic memories and picked up a lot in class or don't need to revise as much as others.

Not giving a **** is considered cool for some reason.

Everybody has usually revised more than they will admit.
I feel sorry for OPs class mates who are trying to learn while he is being a dick.
Original post by earthworm
I feel sorry for OPs class mates who are trying to learn while he is being a dick.
Not my fault I'm smarter than them
Original post by intelligent con
Not my fault I'm smarter than them

No but it is your fault for being a dick about it.
I did have a English class and honor Japanese class where it was super duper easy.
English - open book, read book, reply to questions about book, write essay = A or high B
honor Japanese - already knew the basic, and already learned it. Do retakes and got A both times. Nice japanese teacher who let me do any retake I wanted.
Maybe your classes are easy or you understand it faster? You had to some work in the class to pass it, lol
(edited 8 years ago)
i cant pm or vm u lol, open ur box

+ cant thread, says being reviewed. need someone else to post

my batt on my phone is dead atm, need to find my charger lele.
Reply 30
We played Call of Duty WAW on LAN in English Lit A level for a good portion of learning the Wife of Bath and I got an A*
Otherwise only pissed about on occasion
I sense this thread is just for banter though
I don't know anyone like that personally. Truly clever people tend to think about other things that intellectually stimulate them and not mess around.
I mean if you can get away with messing around and getting high grades that is great for you.
But wouldn't you regret not maximising your potential and going further than the material that is taught to you?
I certainly would. But most people don't really care which is fair enough as who wants to spend their life worrying about not reaching their potential. :s-smilie::colonhash:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
We played Call of Duty WAW on LAN in English Lit A level for a good portion of learning the Wife of Bath and I got an A*
Otherwise only pissed about on occasion
I sense this thread is just for banter though

Was this in A-level? I'm impressed. Can I PM you?
Reply 33
Original post by hudamh
Was this in A-level? I'm impressed. Can I PM you?

Yeah but don't think this means it was effortless; I left revision late but I still typed up and rote learned quite a lot of stuff, it's not like I just read the book the night before or something
Yeah but don't think this means it was effortless; I left revision late but I still typed up and rote learned quite a lot of stuff, it's not like I just read the book the night before or something

I know, I'm currently studying The WOB and I realise that although the language is challenging its still possible to get a good grade.
I want an A* too. My main issue seems to be the context- in the sense that its too much and too detailed, whivh my lecturer has criticised.
Did you use any specific books/ resources? Or was it all teacher's notes and comments?
Let's be honest here, getting good grades (A/A*) at GCSE without any effort isn't a great indicator of intelligence. It means you can just about write your name legibly and can count to 10 without using your fingers.
Reply 36
Original post by hudamh
I know, I'm currently studying The WOB and I realise that although the language is challenging its still possible to get a good grade.
I want an A* too. My main issue seems to be the context- in the sense that its too much and too detailed, whivh my lecturer has criticised.
Did you use any specific books/ resources? Or was it all teacher's notes and comments?

Indeed, the language is quite horrible (I found it made Shakespeare much easier for me though..), but the themes are very accessible and discussable. That is a common problem with context I think. In general I avoided learning lots of specific context, and mostly went for vague comments about how "it was a patriarchal society" and "religion was important", with only a handful of specific stuff here and there, if any (e.g. info about Chaucer, which I don't even remember now). But the biggest thing with regards to context is to just bring it back to the point at hand; even if you go a little overboard on info you shouldn't get penalised if you tie it back to the question and keep everything relevant and on track.

Apart from just looking up translations online, I don't think so; I generally just made my own notes, informed by the little notes I had made in class/in my book I guess, and listed quotes in a file and learned them and tried to build up a mental framework. In all lit exams since GCSE I have just made a big document of notes and quotes and it's worked. Though note that I didn't get the best score ever in the exam, 111/120; the method is perhaps a little shallow to ensure excellence at A level
Indeed, the language is quite horrible (I found it made Shakespeare much easier for me though..), but the themes are very accessible and discussable. That is a common problem with context I think. In general I avoided learning lots of specific context, and mostly went for vague comments about how "it was a patriarchal society" and "religion was important", with only a handful of specific stuff here and there, if any (e.g. info about Chaucer, which I don't even remember now). But the biggest thing with regards to context is to just bring it back to the point at hand; even if you go a little overboard on info you shouldn't get penalised if you tie it back to the question and keep everything relevant and on track.

Apart from just looking up translations online, I don't think so; I generally just made my own notes, informed by the little notes I had made in class/in my book I guess, and listed quotes in a file and learned them and tried to build up a mental framework. In all lit exams since GCSE I have just made a big document of notes and quotes and it's worked. Though note that I didn't get the best score ever in the exam, 111/120; the method is perhaps a little shallow to ensure excellence at A level

Thank you, that sounds like some sensible advice. I tend to do that as well, but I also practise past papers and putting notes into themes. I guess everyone revises slightly differently.
That is a very decent mark.
What are you studying now and where if you don't mind me asking?
I think so. All the classes I messed around in I was told to sit by the teacher or go to another class where it helps you to concentrate and not talk to anyone with desks with boards hiding you so you can't see what's going on around you but my grades were still good I got awards for highest grades and such. What's wrong with having fun in class, it's so annoying when everything has to be quiet and depressing. Imagine having to spend all those hours and days with a straight face. That would be such a waste of life.
Reply 39
Original post by hudamh
Thank you, that sounds like some sensible advice. I tend to do that as well, but I also practise past papers and putting notes into themes. I guess everyone revises slightly differently.
That is a very decent mark.
What are you studying now and where if you don't mind me asking?

I did themes and characters at AS with Carol Ann Duffy and at GCSE with An Inspector Calls but got super lazy on The Wife of Bath as I felt like the themes all blend into each other I guess. Our teacher made us do essays throughout the year so I didn't feel such a need to do practice questions, plus in general they just stress me out. Ironically I need exam pressure to relax into the daunting task of writing an essay, at least if the conditions are timed.
It is but I would like to have known what I did wrong. It's just annoying when you see exemplars that got 100% and the person doesn't even seem to write that well; tbh I dunno why I'm complaining as I felt like I could get a B after that exam, but I'm just neurotic/perfectionist I guess

I'm studying Maths at Warwick

Quick Reply

Latest