The Student Room Group

Why is this missing number solver not working?

http://www.dcode.fr/missing-numbers-calculations-solver

Does anyone have anything they can use?

For some reason when I put in something basic like 100-?=80 it comes up with "no solutions".

If I put in something slightly more complex like 60/2*?-10=20 it comes up with the right solution "60/2*1-10==20"

Like if I shorten that to "?-10=30" it again comes up with "no solutions". It's seemingly having a problem with basic subtraction.

Anyone have a working missing number solver that I can use? I will be using it very often for much larger equations but the fact that it can't solve the most basic equations worries me.
(edited 8 years ago)
to do 100 - ? ==80

you need to put

100 - ?? == 80

:wink:
Reply 2
use a calculator
i also tried 100 - ??????? = 80

that really freaked it out :ahee:

final answer:

Results
1 solution(s)
100-0024==80
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by the bear
to do 100 - ? ==80

you need to put

100 - ?? == 80

:wink:

Ahh that's it, but how am I supposed to know how many digits the missing number will be in much more complex equations?

Original post by TeeEm
use a calculator

How do you find the missing number like this on a calculator exactly?
Reply 5
Original post by LeftWingMoron
Ahh that's it, but how am I supposed to know how many digits the missing number will be in much more complex equations?

How do you find the missing number like this on a calculator exactly?

I have no idea exactly, but I heard someone mentioning it in the past.

well if it is 5??? then it will be no more than 3 digits so use ??? or ???? to be extra sure
Found a basic algebra calculator online and used that. I needed it for a timed aptitude test and hadn't done algebra in a while. Can not remember how to do basic algebra equations on my physical calculator either. How do you put in the equals sign exactly?
Reply 8
Found a basic algebra calculator online and used that. I needed it for a timed aptitude test and hadn't done algebra in a while. Can not remember how to do basic algebra equations on my physical calculator either. How do you put in the equals sign exactly?

Try Wolfram Alpha, you can use English. Just type in things like "integrate x^2" or "solve 5x=2" and it'll spit out graphs, simplifications, answers, integrals, derivatives out at you - whatever you want.

Quick Reply

Latest