The Student Room Group

How do I stop getting average grades and begin to get 2:1's/Firsts?

I am a first year Law student and I'm getting 2:2's mostly, with the occasional 2:1.

I'd like to get 2:1's/Firsts, I don't want mediocrity. How do I begin to get top grades???
Original post by theperformer
I am a first year Law student and I'm getting 2:2's mostly, with the occasional 2:1.

I'd like to get 2:1's/Firsts, I don't want mediocrity. How do I begin to get top grades???

Always read your feedback and take it into account,plenty of planning and critical analysis.
Talk to your tutor - he/she will give you the best pointers, but suggestions in the meantime :

* Answer the question very succinctly - don't waffle or try and include ever aspect of the topic.

* Have a clear argument/question defined in your introduction, and answer it in clear step paragraphs.

* Read your essay out loud. Does it sound convincing? Are there bits you could cut out or rewrite to make it flow better?

Worth reading : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Writing-Law-Palgrave-Study-Skills/dp/0230236448
Reply 3
Original post by theperformer

As Claire says, check the feedback on your assignments. That should tell you what you need to improve. If it doesn't, make an appointment to see the person who set the assignment and ask them to tell you. To begin with focus on improving aspects which are commented on repeatedly in feedback. If you can't figure out how to improve, again, ask the person who set the work to advise.

Also look for quick wins - make sure you're following any basic instructions on layout, font & font size, line spacing etc. Spellcheck before hand-in. Make your work look neat, so that the markers feel positive about it before they even start reading it. Referencing is a pain, but once you get the hang of it you can get easy percentages by doing it properly and rigorously. Attention to detail might be the difference between a 2:2 and a 2:1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending