The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WCharlie
anybody heard from Newcastle GEM? I think they said we would hear some time in March but just wondering (being impatient)

I'm in the hugely impatient group for Newcastle too! But they have another interview date on 24th February so it'll be after then I'm afraid. I'm trying not to think about it until 1st March, but I know I'll be jumping at every email from 25th February onwards! Is Newcastle your first choice?
Reply 4921
Anyone got any views on Kings vs Warwick? There are things I really like about both and I'm not sure which one would suit me best. I would really appreciate any thoughts from you guys! I know I'm ridiculously lucky to even have this decision to make but I want to make sure it's the right one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by scitea
Anyone got any views on Kings vs Warwick? There are things I really like about both and I'm not sure which one would suit me best. I would really appreciate any thoughts from you guys! I know I'm ridiculously lucky to even have this decision to make but I want to make sure it's the right one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have anecdotal knowledge (from friends) that kings 1st year is horrific in terms of workload and Warwick a lot more manageable. Personally I would always avoid London where possible, but that's a personal preference!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JenniB22
I have anecdotal knowledge (from friends) that kings 1st year is horrific in terms of workload and Warwick a lot more manageable. Personally I would always avoid London where possible, but that's a personal preference!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Horrific? How so?
Reply 4924

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for this. I have heard this a couple of times now so definitely something to bear in mind! It sounds like you just squish 2 years in to one and its very intense!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm guessing that's why they are only taking science graduates from our year onwards. If you've done a science degree, you've probably covered most of the first and possibly second year stuff so it won't be as difficult

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by LilithSternin
Horrific? How so?

I did the Kings GPEP without a science background and passed. It's only bad compared to a few other places as its all preclinical in 10 months instead of 18months, but its manageable if you put yourself through it.
There are other reasons for the change to science only too, but a lot of people said their science background didn't really massively given them a huge advantage.
My Birmingham interview was on Tuesday the 19th and I haven't heard anything yet either! SO NERVOUS!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by imohetep
My Birmingham interview was on Tuesday the 19th and I haven't heard anything yet either! SO NERVOUS!

That's good news ! I emailed them yesterday to ask when we should hear back so I'm waiting for them to get back to me now.
Reply 4929
Original post by Catherine1193
That's good news ! I emailed them yesterday to ask when we should hear back so I'm waiting for them to get back to me now.

I emailed on Tuesday and am yet to hear. I'm wondering whether if they've given out rejections to the lowest scorers, have they given places to the highest? And we're maybe middle of the road.
Original post by AMC18
I emailed on Tuesday and am yet to hear. I'm wondering whether if they've given out rejections to the lowest scorers, have they given places to the highest? And we're maybe middle of the road.

Not sure about that because I'm on all the groups including Facebook and no news from anyone yet. What are the chances they are all in the middle? As well as the A101 Birmingham thread
Reply 4931
Oh I didn't realise fhere was a thread for Bham A101!!

True. And we've gotten this far.
Reply 4932
Hey guys, so wasn't sure where to post this but thought some of you might be knowledgeable on this.

So I'm a graduate student and just recently got an offer from HYMS 5yr course which I'm super excited about! Only thing I'm not really sure of is financing in terms of what SFE provides. So I know that they don't provide tuition fee loans but they do provide some sort of maintenance loan? Now I know it used to be just the maintenance loan and not the grant but now that the maintenance grant has been scrapped are we eligible for the full maintenance loan that they offer (upwards of 8,000) or is it less than that because you're doing it as a second degree?
Original post by Sheo
Hey guys, so wasn't sure where to post this but thought some of you might be knowledgeable on this.

So I'm a graduate student and just recently got an offer from HYMS 5yr course which I'm super excited about! Only thing I'm not really sure of is financing in terms of what SFE provides. So I know that they don't provide tuition fee loans but they do provide some sort of maintenance loan? Now I know it used to be just the maintenance loan and not the grant but now that the maintenance grant has been scrapped are we eligible for the full maintenance loan that they offer (upwards of 8,000) or is it less than that because you're doing it as a second degree?

You're eligible for the full maintenance loan. If you're under 25 its still dependent on your parents income though (unless you've been supporting yourself for 3 years, not including uni).
Reply 4934
Original post by ForestCat
You're eligible for the full maintenance loan. If you're under 25 its still dependent on your parents income though (unless you've been supporting yourself for 3 years, not including uni).

just to clarify, this means it could be more than just the usual £3000ish maintenance loan I'm currently receiving? If so that is such good news! :O
Original post by Sheo
just to clarify, this means it could be more than just the usual £3000ish maintenance loan I'm currently receiving? If so that is such good news! :O

Yeah, the maintenance loan amount has increased as they got rid of grants.
Reply 4936
Original post by ForestCat
Yeah, the maintenance loan amount has increased as they got rid of grants.

that actually works out a lot better for me than the previous system. thanks for your help! :smile:
Reply 4937
hello, im not sure if you guys will have any knowledge on this but was wondering if anyone knew of any scholarship programs for A100? im a graduate, and an international student (so no loans) but i would really like to get a scholarship to get the weight off my parents shoulders. it is extremely expensive to study medicine as an international student, and instead of bursary suggestions which base on how much my rents earn, i was thinking more on academic achievements/other talents such as drama/music/sports? thanks xx
Original post by tallyt
hello, im not sure if you guys will have any knowledge on this but was wondering if anyone knew of any scholarship programs for A100? im a graduate, and an international student (so no loans) but i would really like to get a scholarship to get the weight off my parents shoulders. it is extremely expensive to study medicine as an international student, and instead of bursary suggestions which base on how much my rents earn, i was thinking more on academic achievements/other talents such as drama/music/sports? thanks xx

Best idea is to contact the International Office at the Unis you have applied to and ask if they have any funding for International applicants. Also its worth contacting your local British Council office as they will know about any general UK scholarships for people from your country.
Original post by lyra1987
Offer for Exeter!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending