The Student Room Group

How hard is it?

How hard is the controlled assessment for Computing (AQA) or how hard has it been in the past??
Hard is entirely subjective.
/thread
Reply 2
Original post by Jared44
Hard is entirely subjective.

True, athough how difficult are the tasks usually? As in, how much effort, knowledge and understanding of the actual programming language do they require?
For the one I'm doing, it's not but it requires a lot of effort. I suggest doing as much as you can as early as possible so you don't have to worry about it later. You also end up talking about a load of what seems like pretty irrelevant crap - just stick with it!
Reply 4
Original post by TheRealDJZ
For the one I'm doing, it's not but it requires a lot of effort. I suggest doing as much as you can as early as possible so you don't have to worry about it later. You also end up talking about a load of what seems like pretty irrelevant crap - just stick with it!

Thank you for your reply! I'll be sure to use it. My controlled assessment doesn't start until May so I've still got some time.
I'm doing OCR so it's probably different but a lot of it is meant to be theory, so be prepared to plan and write loads of unneccessary stuff. :tongue: But it is what gets you the marks.
And yes, an understanding of programming languages is almost certainly required for any controlled assessment in computing/computer science. It's usually nothing too advanced but it's definitely useful to undersand the basics. Not sure what it's like with AQA but a lot of ours is about attempting it at the least and explaining what we're doing.
Reply 6
Original post by thebaco123
I'm doing OCR so it's probably different but a lot of it is meant to be theory, so be prepared to plan and write loads of unneccessary stuff. :tongue: But it is what gets you the marks.
And yes, an understanding of programming languages is almost certainly required for any controlled assessment in computing/computer science. It's usually nothing too advanced but it's definitely useful to undersand the basics. Not sure what it's like with AQA but a lot of ours is about attempting it at the least and explaining what we're doing.

Thanks for your reply! :smile: I know that you have to do a lot of writing in AQA too. Our school used to do OCR but switched to AQA this year (not sure why). For the programming, I know that we're going to use VB.net which we've been learning this year although I would rather do it in Python since I've been learning it for the past 2 years so that's the one I know the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending