The Student Room Group

got 58% in second year law degree

Feeling really down, I had a lot of stress this year that clearly got the better of me but I was so sure I had done better than last year. Im really worried how this would look for future employers as they look at your module grades not just your overall percentage. On top of that, I got an exam back for criminology which I was sure I had done well in but I got two low 2:1's on both questions so I'm going to push for a remark. I'm just feeling really upset because I tried so hard this year. I'm literally set on becoming a solicitor but now I'm questioning if this path is right for me if I can barely scrape a 2:1?? how will I cope with the SQE? anyone have any advice?

Just want to add as well that I want to get 65% in my overall degree, I've worked out in third year i would need to get like 71% which doesn't seem very realistic. I'm just really upset right now. my motivation and energy has been low all year I'm just really second guessing whether i should carry on with this degree if I'm only going to scrape a 2:1
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by mermaid019754
Feeling really down, I had a lot of stress this year that clearly got the better of me but I was so sure I had done better than last year. Im really worried how this would look for future employers as they look at your module grades not just your overall percentage. On top of that, I got an exam back for criminology which I was sure I had done well in but I got two low 2:1's on both questions so I'm going to push for a remark. I'm just feeling really upset because I tried so hard this year. I'm literally set on becoming a solicitor but now I'm questioning if this path is right for me if I can barely scrape a 2:1?? how will I cope with the SQE? anyone have any advice?

Just want to add as well that I want to get 65% in my overall degree, I've worked out in third year i would need to get like 71% which doesn't seem very realistic. I'm just really upset right now. my motivation and energy has been low all year I'm just really second guessing whether i should carry on with this degree if I'm only going to scrape a 2:1

Hi @mermaid019754

Try not to be too hard on yourself. A 2:1 is still a great grade! I would try and look at your results in regards to a wider scale than just your degree subject. By this I mean thinking about how incredible it is that you have finished your second year of university - not everyone has done that but you did, and that's amazing! And with a good grade too!

Also, don't put yourself down if you've been working so hard this year. We often look at all the negatives but you've worked hard and you should celebrate that too. If you try and put the same energy into appreciating the work you've done, that we all often put into feeling low about our results, I'm sure you will start to realise how well you've actually done.

I would suggest not to drop out of your degree now as you've worked so hard already. But also remember to take care of yourself and to not pressure yourself to work so hard you might burnout. Moving on to your third year, I would suggest giving it your best, while looking after yourself, as you clearly have the ambition for the subject. And if you find it's not working out for you after you've tried it, you can always reassess your situation later on in the academic year.

Try not to worry too much and enjoy some well deserved rest over the summer.
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 2
do you think its still possible for me to get a 2:1 and go into a law career if I have a low 2:1?
Reply 3
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @mermaid019754

Try not to be too hard on yourself. A 2:1 is still a great grade! I would try and look at your results in regards to a wider scale than just your degree subject. By this I mean thinking about how incredible it is that you have finished your second year of university - not everyone has done that but you did, and that's amazing! And with a good grade too!

Also, don't put yourself down if you've been working so hard this year. We often look at all the negatives but you've worked hard and you should celebrate that too. If you try and put the same energy into appreciating the work you've done, that we all often put into feeling low about our results, I'm sure you will start to realise how well you've actually done.

I would suggest not to drop out of your degree now as you've worked so hard already. But also remember to take care of yourself and to not pressure yourself to work so hard you might burnout. Moving on to your third year, I would suggest giving it your best, while looking after yourself, as you clearly have the ambition for the subject. And if you find it's not working out for you after you've tried it, you can always reassess your situation later on in the academic year.

Try not to worry too much and enjoy some well deserved rest over the summer.
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

do you still think its possible to graduate with a 2;1?
Original post by mermaid019754
do you still think its possible to graduate with a 2;1?

Hi @mermaid019754

I wouldn't like to give a certain answer as universities may differ in their grading, but a 2:1 is typical graduating grade.

Also remember, that your final grade isn't the only thing you have to offer as a graduate, as you will have your experience, previous grades, etc., as well as very well deserved university degree.

Hope this helps,
Emily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending