The Student Room Group

URGENT: AQA GCSE Biology (B1) - Confused about auxin

To anyone who knows about biology, what does this mean?

"Auxin is produced in the tips and moves backwards to stimulate the cell elongation which occurs in the cells just behind the tips."

Also, what are roots and shoots? What is the difference?

(I'm revising plant hormones from AQA GCSE Biology - Unit 1).
Reply 1
I always find auxin rly awks
Reply 3
Thanks. I'm using CGP for revision. Which would you say is more thorough; BBC Bitesize or CGP? @Milzime
Reply 4
It basically means auxin helps to make plants grow, as auxin is a hormone. It is produced in the tips of the plant and it moves within the plant to stimulate growth behind the tips of the plant. For example; when the plant is being exposed to light, auxin will start to produce in the shaded part of the plant which then stimulates growth within that area, making the plant grow more on shaded side than the exposed side making the plant bend so it is exposed to more light for photosynthesis (to survive). Auxin helps plants to survive basically. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 1narha.
It basically means auxin helps to make plants grow, as auxin is a hormone. It is produced in the tips of the plant and it moves within the plant to stimulate growth behind the tips of the plant. For example; when the plant is being exposed to light, auxin will start to produce in the shaded part of the plant which then stimulates growth within that area, making the plant grow more on shaded side than the exposed side making the plant bend so it is exposed to more light for photosynthesis (to survive). Auxin helps plants to survive basically. Hope this helps :smile:

Also the difference is when auxin accumulates in shoot it stimulates growth but in the root it inhibits growth.
Original post by eks85
Also the difference is when auxin accumulates in shoot it stimulates growth but in the root it inhibits growth.

I always remember auxin Stimulates in Shoots and Restricts in Roots :smile: the start letters help me remember which is which.
Original post by Jamie Vardy
To anyone who knows about biology, what does this mean?

"Auxin is produced in the tips and moves backwards to stimulate the cell elongation which occurs in the cells just behind the tips."

Also, what are roots and shoots? What is the difference?

(I'm revising plant hormones from AQA GCSE Biology - Unit 1).

Auxin is a plant hormone that is produced just below the tip. When bright light shines on the plant, the auxin diffuses in the plant towards the shadier side. The auxin in the shady side of the plant makes the cell elongate and bend, thus the plant looks like it is bending towards the source of light.
Hope this helps, I'm not completely sure but yeah :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest