The Student Room Group

When do you think the downfall of music started?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Are we not gonna talk about the 80's :daydreaming:
Reply 21
Also

Reply 22
Original post by frankieboy
Does the V not come in there too?

Are you talking about 12 bar? In which case, yeah that's right.

The difference being, to my ear, that the 6-4-1-5 is deliberately used to add a saccharine flavour. Which the twelve bar does not. Quite the opposite in fact.

I'm just talking about a repeating I-IV, not necessarily 12 bar.

I think where it comes across as saccharine or not depends on what else is going on - others might say it resolves well!
When Luke Kelly died, and it accelerated considerably when Ronnie did.
Original post by offhegoes
So we have more music in the world, more variety of music easily available, yet you consider music to be in freefall because the mass populace doesn't like the same music you do?

Interesting.

nope completely missed the point there
Original post by frankieboy
It's because the people who run the massive music corporations know absolutely nothing about music. They know about accountancy and marketing. And people are stupid enough to buy it.

However, there is still good music, but you now have to dig more to find it because of all the mass produced rubbish. That was probably always the way, except there was less rubbish to sift through.

Try not taking any notice of what's shoved in your face by the marketeers, and look elsewhere.

This guy gets it!
Reply 26
I think the quality of pop music now is awful and started to deteriorate around 2010 but I also think the quality of Alternative Music has improved so I no longer listen to pop as, quite frankly, it is now god awful and only talks about sex and clubbing

Alternative is where it's at
When pop idol started and X Factor.
when nicki minaj got popular
Original post by Gwilym101
Or more likely you're just seeing all the music out today good and bad, but the only music from older generations that has survived was the really good stuff. Every era of music has had some truly **** stuff in it.

Good point actually! But the ratio of good music to bad music now and good music to bad music then seems crazy different
If you're talking about pop music I would say around the time Justin Bieber started to achieve fame.
Reply 31
It's all entirely subjective, but I wouldn't say there has been a downfall in music at all, just a downfall in music you see in the charts. Amazing music is out there and being made all the time, most of my favourite music is from the 00s, you just have to look a bit harder for it these days and see past all the generic, manufactured radio 1 stuff.
Reply 32
Original post by homeland.lsw
nope completely missed the point there

Hardly. You think music is at a low point, I think you just don't like what you hear on the radio.

Let's clarify then, what makes you say music is at a low point?
Original post by Inexorably
when nicki minaj got popular

I mean you can't blame it all on one artist but definitely the genre of music that Nicki Minaj plays a role in has deteriorated...

Original post by Rock Fan
When pop idol started and X Factor.

Isn't X-Factor just basically covers?

Original post by AfcFob
I think the quality of pop music now is awful and started to deteriorate around 2010 but I also think the quality of Alternative Music has improved so I no longer listen to pop as, quite frankly, it is now god awful and only talks about sex and clubbing

Alternative is where it's at

Can you give some examples of alternative...I never really know what it is!
Original post by offhegoes
Hardly. You think music is at a low point, I think you just don't like what you hear on the radio.

Let's clarify then, what makes you say music is at a low point?

Basically it all sounds the same to me...sex and drugs...songs about love...songs about female empowerment...constant major keys being used..
I'd have said around the 1990 mark.... that's when we appear to have begun 'mainstream pop' and all that
Original post by Gwilym101
Or more likely you're just seeing all the music out today good and bad, but the only music from older generations that has survived was the really good stuff. Every era of music has had some truly **** stuff in it.

probably tbh
Original post by safari24
If you're talking about pop music I would say around the time Justin Bieber started to achieve fame.

I think he's trying to be more relevant now, working with Skrillex...
Reply 38
Switch from Radio 1 Daytime to Radio 1 Night time. I think that might help you. You'd here some of the alternative stuff and music which whilst mostly still being pop has a little more quirkiness and edge.
Reply 39
Original post by homeland.lsw
I mean you can't blame it all on one artist but definitely the genre of music that Nicki Minaj plays a role in has deteriorated...

Isn't X-Factor just basically covers?

Can you give some examples of alternative...I never really know what it is!

So groups like Fall Out Boy (these guys are my life), Panic! at the Disco, My Chemical Romance are all examples of Punk Pop which is classed at Alt music.
Other things are more rock style music like Royal Blood, Catfish etc are all Alternative
Hell even bands like Coldplay are classed as alternative!

It's an amazing genre that really ranges from your punk pop to heavy metal to rock to more unusual sounding bands like Gorillaz and Coldplay and also stemming to more pop sounding groups such as TOP (who are awesome ngl)

Quick Reply

Latest