The Student Room Group

What to say to Cambrdige when applying for CompSci, but want to go into finance?

When writing my statement would Cambridge be less likely to accept me because I want to go into finance after, rather than computing?
Reply 1
Original post by abjolm
When writing my statement would Cambridge be less likely to accept me because I want to go into finance after, rather than computing?

You shouldn't focus on your future career plans in your PS. You are applying for a course not a job.

Why do you want to do CompSci? What interests you and makes you curious enough to spend 3 (or 4) years learning more about it? That's what they want to read.

They know that most students don't want to have an academic CompSci career. It's not a vocational degree, like medicine.
Original post by abjolm

You don't need to mention your future plans on your personal statement. I applied for CompSci (successfully) with no particular future plan other than possibly software development (the usual job for Computer Science graduates). However, I didn't mention anything about that on my personal statement, which in my opinion should more be an advertisement of your current talents than a list of your future goals, which are universities probably won't judge you on.
Why would you tell them that? I think writing about any career plans in a personal statement would make you sound a bit naive.
Why are you applying to compsci if you know you want to do something else? Why not apply directly in the field you want?
Reply 5
Original post by alcibiade
Why are you applying to compsci if you know you want to do something else? Why not apply directly in the field you want?

When someone says "finance" they usually mean IB and there's no specific course for that... CompSci is a perfectly valid degree for IB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abjolm

Original post by jneill
When someone says "finance" they usually mean IB and there's no specific course for that... CompSci is a perfectly valid degree for IB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Though most CompSci graduates are employed for their IT expertise, so a department/role they play in IB is often very different from what many people typically think of as a job of investment bankers.

This site I just found explains it very well.

https://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sectors/investment-banking-and-investment/278831-it-technology-in-investment-banking-graduate-area-of-work

So if OP is interested in working for IB in that sort of field, that's no problem as there's a strong demand for good IT personnel, but if he is interested in working in actual finance, he's competing against many graduates with a degree in finance/economics or other more relevant subjects.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by abjolm

Honestly they won't care, I don't really see why you'd need to mention it in your PS though - I'd reserve that for mostly academic stuff.
Original post by vincrows
Though most CompSci graduates are employed for their IT expertise, so a department/role they play in IB is often very different from what many people typically think of as a job of investment bankers.

This site I just found explains it very well.

https://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sectors/investment-banking-and-investment/278831-it-technology-in-investment-banking-graduate-area-of-work

So if OP is interested in working for IB in that sort of field, that's no problem as there's a strong demand for good IT personnel, but if he is interested in working in actual finance, he's competing against many graduates with a degree in finance/economics or other more relevant subjects.

This is what I believe as well. Of course a Cam degree can be worth its weight in gold, a way to get in. But I would think economics or some course at Judge would be more appropriate (I know almost nothing about Judge beyond MBAs).
Reply 9
This is what I believe as well. Of course a Cam degree can be worth its weight in gold, a way to get in. But I would think economics or some course at Judge would be more appropriate (I know almost nothing about Judge beyond MBAs).

Judge is postgrad, except for Management Studies (Part II Tripos only).

OP *could* do CompSci Part I and then Management... but probably wouldn't help them for IB more than straight CompSci to be honest.
I didnt mention much about my future career plans, also I wasnt asked abt it in the interviews. I think they dnt care abt it much since students really have a lot to learn about the real world before they decide what career they want to go.
You dint need to tell them at all
Original post by jneill

OP *could* do CompSci Part I and then Management... but probably wouldn't help them for IB more than straight CompSci to be honest.

Management studies isn't actually that well regarded here, doing a masters would probably be preferable if you can afford it.

Career-wise, I haven't had any issues getting into IB with a history degree, so compsci isn't going to be a problem.
Reply 13
Original post by smile:D
Management studies isn't actually that well regarded here, doing a masters would probably be preferable if you can afford it.

Career-wise, I haven't had any issues getting into IB with a history degree, so compsci isn't going to be a problem.

Exactly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Financial job board/ recruitment agencies are heaving with vacancies for those with computer science degrees, so your thinking makes very good sense. I've worked in electronic trading. Also, unis I think want you to have an idea of what you want to do. When you mention it just try to sound realistic, and to do this I recommend speaking with someone in the field you see yourself in. Ask them this question, I would look for an answer here.
Original post by jneill

Thanks, I wasn't sure about this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending