The Student Room Group

A few questions about compsci at uni (freetime, gap year, general advice)

Hey. I just wanted to ask a few questions regarding computer science at university. I'd appreciate it if anyone had any thoughts on these questions :smile: Also the unis I'm thinking of applying to are Southampton, Birmingham, Bath, Sheffield and Warwick so if anyone has any specific advice for any of these unis, I'd appreciate that also!

1. How much free time would you have in each year? I want to continue a project I'm involved in but it requires a lot of time (I'm working on developing a game). I just want to know how much free time I'd have considering all the stereotypes about compsci undergrads I've heard about (never sleeping n stuff).

2. What would the deadline for applying for a gap year be? I'm thinking of applying for a gap year to work on my own personal project but I'm not 100% sure if I'll have funding for it currently. That's why I want to apply normally but if I know for sure I will have funding I will for sure want to take a gap year. Is it possible to accept a normal offer but then ask to take a gap year after? If so when would the latest for this be?

3. My predicted grades currently are A* in compsci, A in maths and A in physics. I'm not sure if this is enough for some of the unis I'm applying for, especially since my maths is only an A. My school is very harsh with predicted grades but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to at least get A*A*A or A*A*A* for my final a levels. Is this something I should worry about? Is there anything else I can do to make sure this doesn't affect my offers all that much?

4. Are there any general tips for being organised when completing a compsci degree? I'm honestly not that interested in compsci as a whole but I think it would be the very useful degree for me to have and of course, there are some things about it I enjoy. It's also the one subject I don't find that awful. So I just want to try to ensure the degree is as painless as possible and I can still focus on other things I'm more passionate about.

Thank you :smile: Hope it's not too much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending