The Student Room Group

Spanish Speaking Exam Help

I know my paragraphs off by heart and could literally recite them backwards to my peers and friends but when it comes to going outside with the teacher, my mind initially goes blank and ugh. I am worried that when it comes to the exam in 2 weeks that I'll mess up...any advice for this?

I don't actually feel nervous at all, I just go outside and sit down and when she asks the question, my mind just goes blank.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
What level are you doing Spanish at?
Original post by H_Alli
What level are you doing Spanish at?

GCSE level - 5 paragraphs 4-6 minutes
Reply 3
Original post by danielwinstanley
GCSE level - 5 paragraphs 4-6 minutes

Oh, I do SQA exams Im not sure hoe it works down there but normally we have our normal teachers ask us question in Intermediate and Higher but in ADV higher we have external examiners
well If you have you own teachers asking you question dont worry about it as much, I guess if you establish your first couple of sentences then the rest should come easily and it should flow natually
My advice would be to talk to you self in spanish as much as possible and try your best to make it sound natural and secondly create this idea that you are talking to an examiner.
Also regular practice with a teacher is very important because the more you talk to a teacher the less awkward it becomes
Buena Suerte
Original post by H_Alli
Oh, I do SQA exams Im not sure hoe it works down there but normally we have our normal teachers ask us question in Intermediate and Higher but in ADV higher we have external examiners
well If you have you own teachers asking you question dont worry about it as much, I guess if you establish your first couple of sentences then the rest should come easily and it should flow natually
My advice would be to talk to you self in spanish as much as possible and try your best to make it sound natural and secondly create this idea that you are talking to an examiner.
Also regular practice with a teacher is very important because the more you talk to a teacher the less awkward it becomes
Buena Suerte

Thanks :smile: This has never happened before when we've done a mini-test but we did one last lesson and my mind just went blank - the teacher asked prompts and I could pick it up perfectly - I just don't want to be being constantly prompted in the exam. I literally went back into the classroom and I could say it perfectly.
Reply 5
When I had my oral about 4 weeks ago, I was really nervous In the beginning, just don't look at the teacher. Look at the wall. And then when u get the hang of it, just speak normally. Good luck. What's the topic about btw?
Reply 6
Thanks :smile: This has never happened before when we've done a mini-test but we did one last lesson and my mind just went blank - the teacher asked prompts and I could pick it up perfectly - I just don't want to be being constantly prompted in the exam. I literally went back into the classroom and I could say it perfectly.

I wouldn't worry too much, the 4-6 minutes will be over in flash. My speaking exam this year is 20- 30 minutes.
Also its good to keep a beautiful clear spanish accent!
Original post by Roxeber
When I had my oral about 4 weeks ago, I was really nervous In the beginning, just don't look at the teacher. Look at the wall. And then when u get the hang of it, just speak normally. Good luck. What's the topic about btw?

Health & Fitness - I've been fine when it comes to other practices, just this one really threw me.

Original post by H_Alli
I wouldn't worry too much, the 4-6 minutes will be over in flash. My speaking exam this year is 20- 30 minutes.
Also its good to keep a beautiful clear spanish accent!

Thanks :smile: and I couldn't cope for 20-30 minutes. I am probably just over-worrying myself and just nerves - atleast I have two weeks to prepare.
Reply 8
Health & Fitness - I've been fine when it comes to other practices, just this one really threw me.

Thanks :smile: and I couldn't cope for 20-30 minutes. I am probably just over-worrying myself and just nerves - atleast I have two weeks to prepare.

Don't worry I'm sure you'll be fine, and yeah exactly U have 2 weeks to practice and that's so much time. I only had 4 days to practice because our teacher is behind. :biggrin: btw what year R u in?
Original post by Roxeber
Don't worry I'm sure you'll be fine, and yeah exactly U have 2 weeks to practice and that's so much time. I only had 4 days to practice because our teacher is behind. :biggrin: btw what year R u in?

Y10 - we did a writing C/A last November and this is my first official speaking :smile: and that must've been hard.
Reply 10
Y10 - we did a writing C/A last November and this is my first official speaking :smile: and that must've been hard.

Omg I'm in year 11 and what I did 4 weeks ago was my first oral!!!!! And the writing c/a we did it in year 10 May, we all did rubbish... So we're literally cramming everything in these 2 months before the exams start. And we're not learning much tbh. So I envy your position a lot.
[QUOTE=Roxeber;63062743]Omg I'm in year 11 and what I did 4 weeks ago was my first oral!!!!! And the writing c/a we did it in year 10 May, we all did rubbish... So we're literally cramming everything in these 2 months before the exams start. And we're not learning much tbh. So I envy your position a lot.

That must be an awful position to be in. We do 3 writing assessments and 2/3 speaking ones: the best four are sent off. I kind of want to just get them all out of the way asap
Reply 12
That must be an awful position to be in. We do 3 writing assessments and 2/3 speaking ones: the best four are sent off. I kind of want to just get them all out of the way asap

You know what I think you will get them all out of the way. But I don't understand, I thought the gcses have changed for you guys.
Original post by Roxeber
You know what I think you will get them all out of the way. But I don't understand, I thought the gcses have changed for you guys.

I am currently in year 10 so only the English and Maths exams have changed, it's the current year 9s who will have a totally different GCSE Spanish.
Reply 14
I am currently in year 10 so only the English and Maths exams have changed, it's the current year 9s who will have a totally different GCSE Spanish.

Ohhh right ok, you see I thought they started already for everything in year 10.best of luck for the oral!

Quick Reply

Latest