The Student Room Group

Holiday in Dubai

My family and I are going on holiday to Dubai. I'm 16, male. I was wondering, if anyone else has gone on holiday there, how do you make friends with the locals. Would I be better off making friends with other English-speaking people? What are the local customs and how they apply to me as a teenage male? Do I make friends with them the way we do here like:

"Hey, are you on holiday here in Dubai?"
"How do you like it here?"
"Where do you come from?"
"Are you at school?"
"What subjects do you do?"

Is it best to do this at the hotel pool if there are other teenagers without friends over there? Will there be any problems if I attempt to make conversation with girls, since I know that it is a very conservative country?

What tips do people who've been there as a teenager have?

Scroll to see replies

You'll hardly come across any 'locals'. Dubai is mostly full of expats
Reply 2
Some local don't usually mingle. It is not that conservative though,it is already an open country. But during Ramadan only, they are strict on what you wear.
Dubai isn't that kind of place. You might get friendly with other holidaymakers but I'd be very doubtful if you would even have contact with locals. Dubai is full of very rich Arabs, an international expat community and Indian and Philipino workers, by that I mean the majority of them work in the construction and maintenance industry, hospitality, taxi drivers, domestic workers. It's highly unlikely that the Arabic community would be the slightest bit interested in any involvement with you other than in the course of their employment. It's an amazing city. I'm sure you will love it. I've been a few times as my older sister lived there for 7 years.
Original post by asmuse123
My family and I are going on holiday to Dubai. I'm 16, male. I was wondering, if anyone else has gone on holiday there, how do you make friends with the locals. Would I be better off making friends with other English-speaking people? What are the local customs and how they apply to me as a teenage male? Do I make friends with them the way we do here like:

"Are you at school?"

Is it best to do this at the hotel pool if there are other teenagers without friends over there? Will there be any problems if I attempt to make conversation with girls, since I know that it is a very conservative country?

go to the gold souk to work on the old wealth consciousness
Original post by jamesthehustler
go to the gold souk to work on the old wealth consciousness

"Wealth conciousness"? No, I'm not rich, my mum found a really good deal for flights and renting an apartment. I've never gone further than Germany for a holiday before. Have you ever been to Dubai? Do you have any tips for me?
"Wealth conciousness"? No, I'm not rich, my mum found a really good deal for flights and renting an apartment. I've never gone further than Germany for a holiday before. Have you ever been to Dubai? Do you have any tips for me?

look i was born poor as in maybe 20k a year poor now i am making that in a good month sometimes more that's down to working on wealth conciousness and a compensation claim
and i have been to Dubai and spend all my time at the souk making money on gold
Reply 7
Just make sure you adhere to the law because eventhough Dubai is a more 'open' city than the other Emirates, its still a conservative country.As far the locals, you wont get aquainted as easily since some of them dont speak much English, Here's a link that might help you: http://www.guide2dubai.com/living/laws-and-regulations/basic-laws-uae
Some things may not apply to you (such as traffic laws and employment, ect.)
I currently live in Dubai, its a very nice country and notorious for its architecture, I would also recommend (as a teenager) to go to Atlantis waterpark....probably the best waterpark there is. Just a handy tip, it gets hectic during the weekends, so if youre planning to head to the malls I would suggest you do that during a weekday when the traffic isnt as bad. (weekends are Friday and Saturday, and weekdays are Sunday-Thursday).
I hope you have a wonderful trip and great time, enjoy!!
look i was born poor as in maybe 20k a year poor now i am making that in a good month sometimes more that's down to working on wealth conciousness and a compensation claim
and i have been to Dubai and spend all my time at the souk making money on gold

That's actually a really motivating story. I've heard that you can get a gold and silver at really good prices in the souk, and as the government has really powerful quality-control, I can trust that I'm getting good quality precious metals. Do you have any tips on how to haggle with souk traders?
Original post by *RHCP*
Just make sure you adhere to the law because eventhough Dubai is a more 'open' city than the other Emirates, its still a conservative country.As far the locals, you wont get aquainted as easily since some of them dont speak much English, Here's a link that might help you: http://www.guide2dubai.com/living/laws-and-regulations/basic-laws-uae
Some things may not apply to you (such as traffic laws and employment, ect.)
I currently live in Dubai, its a very nice country and notorious for its architecture, I would also recommend (as a teenager) to go to Atlantis waterpark....probably the best waterpark there is. Just a handy tip, it gets hectic during the weekends, so if youre planning to head to the malls I would suggest you do that during a weekday when the traffic isnt as bad. (weekends are Friday and Saturday, and weekdays are Sunday-Thursday).
I hope you have a wonderful trip and great time, enjoy!!

Thanks for the tips! I'm surprised the weekday starts on Sunday. Is the Atlantis waterpark safe?
That's actually a really motivating story. I've heard that you can get a gold and silver at really good prices in the souk, and as the government has really powerful quality-control, I can trust that I'm getting good quality precious metals. Do you have any tips on how to haggle with souk traders?

not to mention platinum and the quality starts at i think 18kt on the low end the top stuff is pure
if you have hundreds stick to gold, thousands are platinum and tens are silver is a good figure to follow
haggling isn't much of an issue they nearly haggle them selves to have the cheapest product so browse a few most have the live price up on monitors in store and just have a go but the best haggles are on easy to make pieces (no stones and one part castings such as rings, bangles, coins and bars) compared to expensive items like chains with diamond work or personalisation and engraving
not to mention platinum and the quality starts at i think 18kt on the low end the top stuff is pure
if you have hundreds stick to gold, thousands are platinum and tens are silver is a good figure to follow
haggling isn't much of an issue they nearly haggle them selves to have the cheapest product so browse a few most have the live price up on monitors in store and just have a go but the best haggles are on easy to make pieces (no stones and one part castings such as rings, bangles, coins and bars) compared to expensive items like chains with diamond work or personalisation and engraving

Is the silver jewellery, or are there any investment-grade silver? Like silvers bars or coins? My parents bought bought me some silver bars when I was younger and I save up my allowance to buy silver coins and company stocks.
Is the silver jewellery, or are there any investment-grade silver? Like silvers bars or coins? My parents bought bought me some silver bars when I was younger and I save up my allowance to buy silver coins and company stocks.

they have a lot of both but you should find bars and coins are far easier to deal on as the craftsmanship is lower so it is more time economic for the traders to make bars
but as for sizes you can buy anything from an oz to a big bar of 40kg's of pure .999 silver
they have a lot of both but you should find bars and coins are far easier to deal on as the craftsmanship is lower so it is more time economic for the traders to make bars
but as for sizes you can buy anything from an oz to a big bar of 40kg's of pure .999 silver

Do the traders speak English well?
Do the traders speak English well?

most of them do as for bullion in particular it's the mints who sell the bars at the lowest premiums over spot
and most traders can understand basic English or hand signals
but most advise is too stick to a 40/50/10 or a 30/70 split between silver, gold and platinum so gold is always the main frame and platinum at the low end as it is very expensive to work but as a bar or coin it can be cheaper than gold for a similar quantity
(edited 8 years ago)

"Are you at school?"

Gah, Dubai was my home of 4 years, if you need any help, PM me :smile:

Also, it's actually odd to speak just Arabic there. Approx 90% of people know english, and the 10% are usually fishermen and pearl divers, whom you probably won't meet.

Dubai is a great place to visit as teenager. In fact, I think your parents may enjoy it less than you, because it's basically night clubs and malls and shopping.
most of them do as for bullion in particular it's the mints who sell the bars at the lowest premiums over spot
and most traders can understand basic English or hand signals
but most advise is too stick to a 40/50/10 or a 30/70 split between silver, gold and platinum so gold is always the main frame and platinum at the low end as it is very expensive to work but as a bar or coin it can be cheaper than gold for a similar quantity

OK, thank you very much for your help and experiences. I really appreciate them.
Original post by fandom-queen
Gah, Dubai was my home of 4 years, if you need any help, PM me :smile:

Also, it's actually odd to speak just Arabic there. Approx 90% of people know english, and the 10% are usually fishermen and pearl divers, whom you probably won't meet.

Dubai is a great place to visit as teenager. In fact, I think your parents may enjoy it less than you, because it's basically night clubs and malls and shopping.

OK, thank you.

"Are you at school?"

17 yo male, born and raised in dubai, I will answer your questions

1. You DON'T make friends with the locals, you keep your head down and hope they don't behad you for being an infidel

2. As far as local customs go, just don't whip your dick out in public and you will be fine

3. You are not going to make friends with anyone by asking those sad, inbetweener-like questions that you just posted. Just sit at the pool of whatever hotel you are staying at and sip on your smoothy while some poor indian immigrant slaves away in 30 degree heat for a quarter of the minimum wage to serve you your drinks you ignorant tourist.

That is pretty much it

have fun

X
Reply 19
they r not strict on what you wear in ramadan..
Original post by ellej93
Some local don't usually mingle. It is not that conservative though,it is already an open country. But during Ramadan only, they are strict on what you wear.

Quick Reply

Latest