The Student Room Group

confirming identity for British passport need help

My friend works as a team leader in a chocolate shop. And I was wondering if I can use her to confirm my identity for British passport application.
It says it has to be a professional job and I can’t find information anywhere if team leader is a professional job. This is the last part to get my passport please help.

There are so many criteria for this it’s annoying.
Original post by idiotsandwich5
My friend works as a team leader in a chocolate shop. And I was wondering if I can use her to confirm my identity for British passport application.
It says it has to be a professional job and I can’t find information anywhere if team leader is a professional job. This is the last part to get my passport please help.

Not necessarily to my understanding.

Professional job to my understanding is a job role that is regulated i.e. if they lie, they not only lose their job but their license as well as hefty consequences (hence why it requires the person to be professional). The sort of roles that fit this criteria includes: doctors, nurses, dentists, teachers, police officers, solicitors, accountants, financial advisors, etc. Do note that a lot of these roles will require a DBS clearance of some sort, and usually require some sort of professional qualification.
The other thing that you need to know is that the third party person must not be related to you in any way. The person can be a friend, but must not be related. If related, it can be viewed as possible bias even if the person is professional.

The criteria is generally there because there has been a lot of fraud when it comes to these applications. A British passport is something a lot of people in the world want, and unfortunately many try to get one through illegal means (and you would be surprised by the lengths people go through to get one).
Original post by Anonymous
Not necessarily to my understanding.

Professional job to my understanding is a job role that is regulated i.e. if they lie, they not only lose their job but their license as well as hefty consequences (hence why it requires the person to be professional). The sort of roles that fit this criteria includes: doctors, nurses, dentists, teachers, police officers, solicitors, accountants, financial advisors, etc. Do note that a lot of these roles will require a DBS clearance of some sort, and usually require some sort of professional qualification.
The other thing that you need to know is that the third party person must not be related to you in any way. The person can be a friend, but must not be related. If related, it can be viewed as possible bias even if the person is professional.

The criteria is generally there because there has been a lot of fraud when it comes to these applications. A British passport is something a lot of people in the world want, and unfortunately many try to get one through illegal means (and you would be surprised by the lengths people go through to get one).

So I guess, she can’t help with the signing, she doesn’t have any license for her job ?
It’s annoying they need the person to have a British passport, my friend is a dental nurse and she can’t help me just because she happens to be born in a different country.

I really do get why the process is annoying. The criteria is extremely strict, I do know people but they either don’t have a British passport or don’t have a professional job or they are related to me. What am I supposed to do? It’s difficult to find a person that ticks all the criteria and that I have know for 2 years. I have no choice but get a relative to do it for me and just say they are a friend. I literally do not know a single person who meets ALL the criteria. It’s ridiculous I have been living in this country for 10 years, have studied here they should accept school references or something. Surely there is a better way to do things. Makes my blood boil thinking about it
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
So I guess, she can’t help with the signing, she doesn’t have any license for her job ?
It’s annoying they need the person to have a British passport, my friend is a dental nurse and she can’t help me just because she happens to be born in a different country.

I really do get why the process is annoying. The criteria is extremely strict, I do know people but they either don’t have a British passport or don’t have a professional job or they are related to me. What am I supposed to do? It’s difficult to find a person that ticks all the criteria and that I have know for 2 years. I have no choice but get a relative to do it for me and just say they are a friend. I literally do not know a single person who meets ALL the criteria. It’s ridiculous I have been living in this country for 10 years, have studied here they should accept school references or something. Surely there is a better way to do things. Makes my blood boil thinking about it

Why not ask a teacher at your school even if you have left. DO NOT risk using a relative as they will find out.

I second with @Muttley79's suggestion. Ask a teacher.

Failing that, you could try your GP who you have been with for a similar amount of time.
I second with @Muttley79's suggestion. Ask a teacher.

Failing that, you could try your GP who you have been with for a similar amount of time.

No one is willing to help, I haven’t even been to my GP. And teacher I guess I can give it a shot. There is few from sixth form but I doubt I’ll hear back. I will try anyway if not I choose the relative. The gp doesn’t know me personally you know ? How can they confirm my identity if they have never seen me before. I am luckily a healthy individual. Uni lecturers again, I haven’t known any one for 2 years. My lecturers change
Reply 6
No one is willing to help, I haven’t even been to my GP. And teacher I guess I can give it a shot. There is few from sixth form but I doubt I’ll hear back. I will try anyway if not I choose the relative. The gp doesn’t know me personally you know ? How can they confirm my identity if they have never seen me before. I am luckily a healthy individual. Uni lecturers again, I haven’t known any one for 2 years. My lecturers change

If you want a passport do not use a relative - it's an offense.

Ring your school - someone will remember you.

They will check your records to verify you're a person who has been to the school or registered with the clinic.

The main aim is to verify you are a real person and you are who you say you are. If you have verified records that stretch back for years, they can feel confident that they can verify your identity.
They will check your records to verify you're a person who has been to the school or registered with the clinic.

The main aim is to verify you are a real person and you are who you say you are. If you have verified records that stretch back for years, they can feel confident that they can verify your identity.

Oh that makes sense, I have been with the same Gp for years but no idea who my family doctor is though. I’ll try
Original post by Muttley79

I have emailed all the teachers. I really hope they do reply. Tbh I didn’t think to ask my teachers at all!!! So I guess good I made the post
Oh that makes sense, I have been with the same Gp for years but no idea who my family doctor is though. I’ll try

GPs are only allowed to sign if they know you personally - they can’t sign for patients anymore.

You say you’ve been living in the country for 10 years - are you definitely a citizen? Have you been through the naturalisation process?
You say you’ve been living in the country for 10 years - are you definitely a citizen? Have you been through the naturalisation process?

Yes, I got the certificate in July 23. The life in the uk test and even the English language certificate since I am in my final year of my degree. I am definitely a citizen although I wish I didn’t apply in the first place. I knew it was a LONG process but I didn’t know think strict it would be. Basically I have a settled status and I didn’t need to apply for citizenship but my mum was annoying me, saying stuff like I am lazy and that I can’t even do simple thing so I did it for her to get off my back. And that’s the last time I’m listening to her just because she is my mother
Original post by LeapingLucy
GPs are only allowed to sign if they know you personally - they can’t sign for patients anymore.

Oh well then they definitely can’t help me. Anyway thank you for letting me know. Saved me a lot of trouble
Original post by Muttley79

A teacher replied to me finally. She said in exchange I have to talk about my experience from uni and the sixth form. Which is very fair. So thank you for the advice :smile:
A teacher replied to me finally. She said in exchange I have to talk about my experience from uni and the sixth form. Which is very fair. So thank you for the advice :smile:

No problem - it's always good to have ex-students talk to Sixth formers about uni :smile:
Reply 16
There’s a pretty wide range of acceptable professions now, teachers, engineers, police and more - take a close look at the form. GPs have been taken out as they were struggling with this admin task on top of an already hideous workload.
Reply 17
Hello, Is a team leader in a call center can confirm my identity its for my British passport?
Yes they can do it as long as they have known you for over 10 years and they have a valid in date British passport themselves and they are not related to you in any way directly or by marriage so as long as they check the above points they are able to confirm your identity for your passport

Quick Reply

Latest