The Student Room Group

Why is everyone on TSR so "intelligent"?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sisuphos
Uhm because the people who put their GCSE results on their profiles are the ones who did really good at them. The rest, won't include them at all.

I didn't say that everyone who gets good grades puts it on their profile. I said the people who do put their grades on their profile are those who have done well.

There's a difference.

You clearly said the ones who put up their results are the ones who did good in them, then said that the rest didn't. Don't try and backtrack now.

If you don't specify 'some' then it is assumed that you mean 'all'.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
You clearly said the ones who put up their results are the ones who did good in them, then said that the rest didn't. Don't try and backtrack now.

Haha I don't backtrack.

"The people who put their GCSEs on their profiles are the ones who did well them" doesn't mean that there aren't people who do well in them but don't put them on their profiles.
Haha I don't backtrack.

"The people who put their GCSEs on their profiles are the ones who did well them" doesn't mean that there aren't people who do well in them but don't put them on their profiles.

Ok it seems you're incapable of understanding what you wrote down yourself. Read what you wrote AFTER that sentence.
Ok it seems you're incapable of understanding what you wrote down yourself. Read what you wrote AFTER that sentence.

Lol mate give it up, it was a freakin' generalisation meant to convey that the profiles that you see that contain any GCSE info are from people who did well on them and the rest won't bother putting anything.

You're condescending even though you're the one who clearly can't comprehend basic logic. You conflate "the people who put their GCSEs on them are those who did well in them and the rest (who didn't do well in them) won't bother do anything at all" with "everyone who does well on their GCSEs puts it on their profiles".
I don't think everyone is like that, I didn't achieve exceptional GCSE or AS grades and I've rarely seen people look down upon others for their grades.

I think it's just a vocal minority.
Lol mate give it up, it was a freakin' generalisation meant to convey that the profiles that you see that contain any GCSE info are from people who did well on them and the rest won't bother putting anything.

You're condescending even though you're the one who clearly can't comprehend basic logic. You conflate "the people who put their GCSEs on them are those who did well in them and the rest (who didn't do well in them) won't bother do anything at all" with "everyone who does well on their GCSEs puts it on their profiles".

Well all you had to do was learn to read and acknowledge when you've made a generalisation. I have no reason to converse with you apart from that.
Original post by Inexorably
I don't think everyone is like that, I didn't achieve exceptional GCSE or AS grades and I've rarely seen people look down upon others for their grades.

There's an odd trend in my school that is the opposite way around. People tend to try and belittle others who did better than them. There are a couple of people I know in particular who will talk to you like you don't have a single brain cell if you happen to be known for getting reall good results.
If your going to join a student website chances are your invested in your education and therefore will receive high grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Inexorably

Also I think it's unfair to call any GCSE grades exceptional unless they're relative to your circumstances. Say, if you're a student at the worst school in your city, getting Bs across the board could be exceptional, yet if you go to one of the best private schools getting 5+ A* grades might be completely normal. Does that make you any less intelligent? No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thatinglesa
Also I think it's unfair to call any GCSE grades exceptional unless they're relative to your circumstances. Say, if you're a student at the worst school in your city, getting Bs across the board could be exceptional, yet if you go to one of the best private schools getting 5+ A* grades might be completely normal. Does that make you any less intelligent? No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand your point, but I was merely using 'exceptional' as a generic term. It is obviously relevant depending upon the circumstances of the individual, but I mean I did not achieve lots of A*s etc
Original post by Tom78
I don't think that's true when given research-based or theory-based assignments. Knowledge is everything for those types of tasks, which make up a large amount of Uni work tbh

Being able to gather and retain a large amount of knowledge is part of what I would call "intelligence".

But yeah, obviously, if an intelligent person is never exposed to the information that's required, they're going to fail.

Even if he weren't generalising then him saying that the ones who put up their results are the ones who did good in them is not equivalent to him saying that all those who do well put their grades on their profiles.

If a=set of people who post grades on profiles and b=set of people who get good grades, he is saying that
aba \subset b but you seem to think he's saying that a=ba=b
(edited 8 years ago)
Well all you had to do was learn to read and acknowledge when you've made a generalisation. I have no reason to converse with you apart from that.

Well all you have to do is learn to reason. I have no reason to converse with you apart from that.
Reply 74
Original post by Lawliettt
You need to keep in mind that a lot of the time, only people with high grades bother posting. No one is going to show off about getting a C. So it gives the perception that everyone here is a genuis.

Before i did further research, people on here had me thinking you needed like AAAB at a minimum in your AS to get a Russel group Uni offer. When i got my results i immidiately started planning for a career in McDonald's. In reality, there's top unis that even allow btec grades lol. I have 5 engineering offers from RG unis despite massively ****ing up my D1 exam which brought my Maths grade down by 2.

It gets ridiculous at times. Last month i saw someone complaining because he got a "Very low A*" in his physics unit 4 A2 exam. And he wasn't even trolling.

That person may have need an A* to meet his offer for his firm choice.
People have different expectations and all because one person is happy with say, AAB, doesn't mean everyone is going to be happy with them grades.
Reply 75
I8.jpg
mmm, probably lot's of the 'snobbish' people on here are blessed with those smart ass genes, so find it easy to get A*s / As with relatively less work than the 'average C achieving student' as you say.

I wouldn't say I'm a snob... but I like to aim as high as possible, and believe with hard enough work, getting all A*s/As is definitely possible for anyone really. I would be really sad if I got all Cs, I don't know about anyone else...

but it's not fair to hate on those with different, I don;t know, realistic goals as it were. I don't judge those who get all Cs or whatever, because tbh grades aren't everything, but for me personally, I know that if I work hard enough, I can do better
does this make sense?

It's important to remember that everyone's goals and attainment-s are different, and that's okay lol. Someone will be better than you, someone will be worse, ~c'est la vie~
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Even if he weren't generalising then him saying that the ones who put up their results are the ones who did good in them is not equivalent to him saying that all those who do well put their grades on their profiles.

If a=set of people who post grades on profiles and b=set of people who get good grades, he is saying that
aba \subset b but you seem to think he's saying that a=ba=b

Had to rep for the completely unnecessary use of set theory notation :grin:
Original post by ckfeister
C is average, so average is now bad? Should " good " be B now? Wait... wouldn't that raise the marks so the new C would be at B percent? You lack in knowledge on this, aka. ignorance.

Yeah, for me (and for quite a lot of people, to be honest), in some subjects, a C is poor. If I'm being brutally honest, if I got a C in A-level Maths I would be thoroughly ashamed of myself. Not because I think everyone who gets a C is a worthless piece of crap, but because I know I can do better.

I'm not suggesting B should be the new average, it would be meaningless and pointless. But it's not ignorant of me to want to be good at things. People should stop propagating this loser mentality that it's somehow bad to be ambitious. I'm not satisfied with anything but my best, and if that makes people feel insecure then that's not my business or my problem.
Original post by Lawliettt

It gets ridiculous at times. Last month i saw someone complaining because he got a "Very low A*" in his physics unit 4 A2 exam. And he wasn't even trolling.

Perhaps he finds unit 5 hard or the CW so found the thought of not having extra UMS to make that 270 at A2 for the UMS difficult. And some of us are just perfectionists. Interesting related read: http://hotelconcierge.tumblr.com/post/113360634364/the-stanford-marshmallow-prison-experiment

Quick Reply

Latest