The Student Room Group

hardest a-level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fishyfishy1999
I seriously doubt you use Photoshop to professional standard. I've looked at some A level photography material in the past hour, it isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for the UK education system that this is considered A level.

A level tends to be a gateway to university, the use of Photoshop in an A level would be considered basic in comparison to a photography degree holder, but nonetheless still taught at a professional standard and evolved when the student moves on to higher education.
Original post by Nicoley-oley
Oh I insist, please do.

Of course the difficulty of an A level is subjective, but there is often an element of difficulty to every course. I know first hand that photography is NOT as cut and dry as people seem to think, in my personal opinion, it's almost as hard going as an Art A level, which is very often listed as one of the tougher A levels out there.

"As hard as an art a level"

image.gif

Lol
I wish you would.

One graph said it all lols
No, I mean like Photography. Which you very well knew. English literature and Music in an academic sense are not hobbies, photography A level looking at the specification is a joke of a qualification.

The argument you're putting forward is exactly the way that English was viewed before around 1920.
Original post by RonnieRJ
One graph said it all lols

Everyone knows (or should know) there are about 10 A levels worth a damn, about four of five more that have some use and a whole bunch of nonsense A levels that people should avoid unless they want that Southampton Solent University or University of Wolverhampton degree course wanting 220 UCAS points or less.

image.gif

Lol

http://www.cem.org/attachments/SCORE2008report.pdf
"we applied five different statisticalmethods to two national datasets for England from 2006 examinations"

You realise that the curriculum and marking for most courses were revised following this old analysis?
Original post by medapplicant2016
CHEMISTRY - hands down..it's impossible

Whats bad about it? Which topics?

image.gif

Lol

I just said that it is subjective, a graph comparing it to academic subjects doesn't show how people struggle to manage the workload, how certain modules may fit one person better than another (3D art and traditional art for example), this could be said for many subjects if not all subjects, I'm just saying that in my PERSONAL experience and a lot of others (just read back on this thread and many other similar threads) that art is considered a tough A level, and photography should not be disregarded as 'tough' due to poor understanding of the subject.
Original post by PQ
The argument you're putting forward is exactly the way that English was viewed before around 1920.

What was it like for you then? (and you are misstating things, deliberately?)

And stop with the nonsense, you know damn well a lot of these rubbish A levels are probably not going to be around in ten years time never mind becoming the new standard. They are ridiculed as it is.
Original post by PQ
http://www.cem.org/attachments/SCORE2008report.pdf
"we applied five different statisticalmethods to two national datasets for England from 2006 examinations"

You realise that the curriculum and marking for most courses were revised following this old analysis?

Oh really, so you think the relative difficulties have changed much lol? If one a level from an exam board gets harder so do the others, as the exam board updates the specs
I just said that it is subjective, a graph comparing it to academic subjects doesn't show how people struggle to manage the workload, how certain modules may fit one person better than another (3D art and traditional art for example), this could be said for many subjects if not all subjects, I'm just saying that in my PERSONAL experience and a lot of others (just read back on this thread and many other similar threads) that art is considered a tough A level, and photography should not be disregarded as 'tough' due to poor understanding of the subject.

If you check again, it's comparing it to other arts and humanities subjects because of the three lines of best fit. I haven't got a poor understanding of the subject because my friends do it and it's a doss for them lol
If you check again, it's comparing it to other arts and humanities subjects because of the three lines of best fit. I haven't got a poor understanding of the subject because my friends do it and it's a doss for them lol

I am well aware that there are other arts on the graph, though most recorded as similar difficulty to Art, as opposed to the academic subjects which of course are listed as 'harder', this says nothing about the personal opinions of the students, I have taken an Art A level and a photography A level and am currently doing A level chemistry and Biology, the sciences are academically more difficult but Art by far has the biggest workload and broader range of modules which depend on skill rather than revision.

Well good for your friends, but that does not put you in a good position to slate the subject, where is your first hand experience? What gives you the right to tell someone that their subject is not hard to them personally?
What gives you the right to tell someone that their subject is not hard to them personally?

I don't think that is the point they were making.
I am well aware that there are other arts on the graph, though most recorded as similar difficulty to Art, as opposed to the academic subjects which of course are listed as 'harder', this says nothing about the personal opinions of the students, I have taken an Art A level and a photography A level and am currently doing A level chemistry and Biology, the sciences are academically more difficult but Art by far has the biggest workload and broader range of modules which depend on skill rather than revision.

Well good for your friends, but that does not put you in a good position to slate the subject, where is your first hand experience? What gives you the right to tell someone that their subject is not hard to them personally?

This used 5 statistical test and a ton of research Hun lol

Lol maybe photography is hard with your capabilities, lol I will never know, but even my friends say it themselves I'm not taking the piss out of them dw :wink:
This used 5 statistical test and a ton of research Hun lol

Lol maybe photography is hard with your capabilities, lol I will never know, but even my friends say it themselves I'm not taking the piss out of them dw :wink:

I'm sure it did Hun, but my point still stands.

I know many who struggled with photography, some with the creative side, some the analytical side, personal experience holds the only relevancy here, your freinds are lucky to feel that it's as easy as you say, some people, however, do not share the same opinion.

I don't mean to say you're wrong, I'm just trying to make a point that the course isn't always as simple as people initially think, and personal opinion is the key factor here.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh really, so you think the relative difficulties have changed much lol? If one a level from an exam board gets harder so do the others, as the exam board updates the specs

I don't know, although I do know that substantial changes to the A level system came in in 2008 with more to come over the next few years.

You tell me - do you still think that General Studies is more difficult than Physics as your chart states?
I'm sure it did Hun, but my point still stands.

I know many who struggled with photography, some with the creative side, some the analytical side, personal experience holds the only relevancy here, your freinds are lucky to feel that it's as easy as you say, some people, however, do not share the same opinion.

I don't mean to say you're wrong, I'm just trying to make a point that the course isn't always as simple as people initially think, and personal opinion is the key factor here.

Not really because they probs did research on students too :wink:

I'm not taking your personal opinion away from you and you can find it hard all you like but the point is it's a Mickey Mouse subject, and many people, both those who have done it and those who haven't will agree.

If it was such a hard and beneficial subject as you say it is, it would be more respectable, a faciliating subject. You may be lacking organisation and time keeping skills, or general understanding of you really struggle with photography??? Either way idk but most people will agree with me :wink:
Original post by PQ
I don't know, although I do know that substantial changes to the A level system came in in 2008 with more to come over the next few years.

You tell me - do you still think that General Studies is more difficult than Physics as your chart states?

Well let's be honest I got a lower % UMS in general studies than in physics so yeah lol, anything could come up and you have no way of revising. Physics at least has a proper spec

Well here's a small extract from what you've linked, they did studies between 1994-2006, which is 12 years (more than the 10 years since 2006). They found that data was quite stable during those years, and I'm sure in that time period specs changed just as they do now, yet relative difficulties remain fairly constant.
image.png
Not really because they probs did research on students too :wink:

I'm not taking your personal opinion away from you and you can find it hard all you like but the point is it's a Mickey Mouse subject, and many people, both those who have done it and those who haven't will agree.

If it was such a hard and beneficial subject as you say it is, it would be more respectable, a faciliating subject. You may be lacking organisation and time keeping skills, or general understanding of you really struggle with photography??? Either way idk but most people will agree with me :wink:

'Probs', I'm not seeing your evidence here, stop assuming, it's sheer assumption that started this debate up in the first place.

A 'Mickey Mouse' subject to some could be a difficult one to others. I love Biology and I find it very easy at A level, but if I were to call it a Mickey Mouse subject, someone would have something to say about that. Are you seeing the pattern here?
When all 4 of your choices are mentioned as being some of the hardest :redface:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest