The Student Room Group

How important is coursework in English?

Basically i just saw that i got a mixture of High to low As in English controlled assessments. Anyone know how important they are for the overall grade and can I still get the A*s? thanks
Original post by theconfusedman
Basically i just saw that i got a mixture of High to low As in English controlled assessments. Anyone know how important they are for the overall grade and can I still get the A*s? thanks

It really depends on the UMS, which can worked out if you know how many marks you got all together out of 80.

I got 70/80 in my controlled assessments and usually the A* mark is 72/80

So can't really say..

They are really important, equating to 40% of your actual grade

NOTE: I'm presuming your exam board is AQA.
(edited 8 years ago)
English language its worth around 40% English lit its worth about 60% so pretty damn important. Coursework is very important but you eally need to nail exam performance im about to do an exam style mock tomorrow and im bricking it
Reply 3
Original post by Federerr
It really depends on the UMS, which can worked out if you know how many marks you got all together out of 80.

So can't really say..

I do AQA english lit and Im confused why your CA mark is out of 80...
I did my controlled assessment a month or two ago and I got 38/40.
Original post by asox
I do AQA english lit and Im confused why your CA mark is out of 80...
I did my controlled assessment a month or two ago and I got 38/40.

Oh I was talking about language which is out of 80.

Well done on the mark for literature! I got 35/40, but i'm sure I deserve more hoping to get it moderated by another teacher :smile:
Reply 5
Oh I was talking about language which is out of 80.

Well done on the mark for literature! I got 35/40, but i'm sure I deserve more hoping to get it moderated by another teacher :smile:

Oh thats what confused me as I did english language with CIE and it was out of 50 not 80 - it makes sense now.

Also, do you know what % the CA for lit is worth (AQA) as I'm hoping my 38/40 will pull up my expected lower marks on the papers.
Original post by asox
Oh thats what confused me as I did english language with CIE and it was out of 50 not 80 - it makes sense now.

Also, do you know what % the CA for lit is worth (AQA) as I'm hoping my 38/40 will pull up my expected lower marks on the papers.

Same here! As far as I'm aware it worth 25% i'm not sure tho.
Reply 7
Same here! As far as I'm aware it worth 25% i'm not sure tho.

Thats really frustrating! I wish it was higher..
What makes up the other 75% because that can't be equally split over the other two papers?
Original post by asox
What makes up the other 75% because that can't be equally split over the other two papers?

Exactly what I'm thinking :s-smilie:
Original post by asox

Just double checked. It is 25% for LIT coursework.
Reply 10
Just double checked. It is 25% for LIT coursework.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/gcse/english-literature-9715/spec-at-a-glance

yeah i was just looking at it on here^

So can't really say..

Original post by Steampunk_Turtle
English language its worth around 40% English lit its worth about 60% so pretty damn important. Coursework is very important but you eally need to nail exam performance im about to do an exam style mock tomorrow and im bricking it

Im doing Edexcel, is this what you're talking about?
At GCSE, I had the AQA exam board. Coursework was worth 40% to my knowledge.
Original post by theconfusedman
Im doing Edexcel, is this what you're talking about?

Nope this is for AQA.
Reply 14
I want to be a businesswoman who likes doing Coursework and writing essays. I want to study business studies and English because I like doing essays and talking about the local business and the local statements by the facilities. I will work on the courses and the mini projects that I will learn this is because I like doing exams it is important to us. For English the level that I am going to have A*s and for the Art and design that I will have a C*s in my levels. The thing is important to me is I want to study about the business and I like doing revision in science, English and also I like doing written and typing coursework in the computer or by hand for example I can write a essay and I can type letters in the computer skills. The thing that I will be given is the newspaper articles, my folder to keep written paperwork in, exam papers and finally line paper and essays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending