The Student Room Group

Have I picked too many essay subjects for A Level?

So I'm doing my GCSEs this summer and so recently handed in my choices for which subjects to study at my school's sixth form. I picked English Lit, History, Classics and Politics, and I decided to do an EPQ as well. I really really love the first three subjects, and I've never done politics before but it sounds interesting. In my mocks I got A* in English Lit, A in History and A in Classics. Should be able to shunt all up to A*s by the time I take the real things. I'm pretty good at writing essays and have got top marks in all my English coursework. And I really love the subjects, I'll probably do a history degree at university.

However all of my friends think I'm crazy for doing so many essay subjects and say it will be too much work/essays for me to handle. What do you think? Am I an idiot?

I just don't know what else I'd pick; I hate the sciences, dislike the language teachers, decided against maths as I don't think I'm good enough, the only other subject I considered was economics but then that's still got essays and stuff and I'm unsure as to how good the teachers are, while my politics teacher is literally the best teacher and person in the world other than my English teacher.
Reply 1
Original post by fallingleaves6
So I'm doing my GCSEs this summer and so recently handed in my choices for which subjects to study at my school's sixth form. I picked English Lit, History, Classics and Politics, and I decided to do an EPQ as well. I really really love the first three subjects, and I've never done politics before but it sounds interesting. In my mocks I got A* in English Lit, A in History and A in Classics. Should be able to shunt all up to A*s by the time I take the real things. I'm pretty good at writing essays and have got top marks in all my English coursework. And I really love the subjects, I'll probably do a history degree at university.

However all of my friends think I'm crazy for doing so many essay subjects and say it will be too much work/essays for me to handle. What do you think? Am I an idiot?

I just don't know what else I'd pick; I hate the sciences, dislike the language teachers, decided against maths as I don't think I'm good enough, the only other subject I considered was economics but then that's still got essays and stuff and I'm unsure as to how good the teachers are, while my politics teacher is literally the best teacher and person in the world other than my English teacher.

What has possessed you to do those :| haha

Well anyway, you sure you're "not good enough for maths"? There really isn't a big step up at AS, so you could drop it after year 12

Either way, up to you, if you enjoy the subjects and can plan your time effectively, you won't have a problem. If anything, it's easier to revise for subjects you actually like :smile:
Original post by RonnieRJ
What has possessed you to do those :| haha

Well anyway, you sure you're "not good enough for maths"? There really isn't a big step up at AS, so you could drop it after year 12

Either way, up to you, if you enjoy the subjects and can plan your time effectively, you won't have a problem. If anything, it's easier to revise for subjects you actually like :smile:

Idk I was originally planning on maths and I'm in the top set, taking Additional Maths as well, but my sister, who is way cleverer than me, took maths and got an E which kind of put me off, plus I got an E in my add maths mock.
Reply 3
Idk I was originally planning on maths and I'm in the top set, taking Additional Maths as well, but my sister, who is way cleverer than me, took maths and got an E which kind of put me off, plus I got an E in my add maths mock.

Hm you shouldn't be put off by what your sister gets, you have a different brain :wink: you can have a look at the course content but realistically if you don't like it, stick with your subjects and you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by RonnieRJ
Hm you shouldn't be put off by what your sister gets, you have a different brain :wink: you can have a look at the course content but realistically if you don't like it, stick with your subjects and you'll be fine :smile:

Ok. How many essays do you think I'll get a week as well? I'm not sure of the work load to expect.
It's not a big deal; some people are more inclined to sciences, other to arts. What are your subject options?
Reply 6
Ok. How many essays do you think I'll get a week as well? I'm not sure of the work load to expect.

Well tbh I'm not sure, I do sciences, and it really depends on your teachers. But my friends who do all essay subjects (currently A2 psychology, history, sociology and etc), usually have about 3-4 within any given week. Sometime they have longer deadlines so it piles up to a few more as my mate always complains having to do 5 or so in a weekend :| but yeah, manage your time right and you'll be Fine
I do Politics, geog and classciv (+EPQ). Class civ makes up 70% of my homework, 80% of my school work and 80% of my revision. I don't really work in politics at school though, it's not very hard, but I would seriously consider doing classics, they are really really hard.
Reply 8
I do History, English Literature and Philosophy (I also dropped Psychology at AS) and will be doing History at university next year, so a lot of essays. If essays are what you enjoy and you feel like you can write them well, then totally go for it. I don't think I get that many essays really. Maybe two or three a month, at the most. It's more about choosing what you are good at, what you like, and what will get you into the job you want to be in. I feel like people overexaggerate how much work is involved in essay subjects, as it all depends on the teacher and how you actually manage the work. I did a lot more work for Psychology at AS than I did for any of my other subjects, just because of the teachers. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Quick Reply

Latest