The Student Room Group

How do people from Scandinavia feel about the Vikings?

Is it pride? Shame? Indifference? If I were Danish, it would be pride, since long ago Europe got mullered by them. :biggrin: And no Danes, no England, so the English owe the Danes then and now. :biggrin: :wink:
Why would anyone care about it? Also how on Earth would there be no England without them?
Reply 2
Original post by unamujercaliente
Is it pride? Shame? Indifference? If I were Danish, it would be pride, since long ago Europe got mullered by them. :biggrin: And no Danes, no England, so the English owe the Danes then and now. :biggrin: :wink:

Would imagine it's broadly similar to how Brits view the British Empire.
Since it's a part of their history? Oh, and I don't care if you're uninterested.....perhaps get with it, since I don't care about your forum "regulation" rights..lolol..pathetic poofter.

Original post by Vikingninja

I never claimed to be that...however, it's pretty obvious your personality is showing. haha...
Their historical exploits influenced a great TV series with a really hot lead actor.
My Norwegian friend considers himself a Viking, and says stuff like "Us Vikings lift weights since Kindergarten". Some of them are still very much in touch with that part of their culture.
Reply 7
Scandinavians haven't really got much else to celebrate in regards to their history so all they've really got to export culturally is this largely exaggerated Viking 'civilisation' that in reality was really not much different from today's Islamic extremism.

Yes Norse mythology is rather interesting and contributed to English and German folklore but the fact remains that they were a group of barbarians, and that their acts of murder, rape and terrorism greatly contributed to the decline of civilisation and culture across North Western Europe and the rise of the 'Dark Ages'.
(edited 8 years ago)

I'm of Nordic descent sometimes I feel like a viking... quite proud of it, I love saying that I've got "Viking Blood"
Original post by Roofas
Scandinavians haven't really got much else to celebrate in regards to their history so all they've really got to export culturally is this largely exaggerated Viking 'civilisation' that in reality was really not much different from today's Islamic extremism.

Yes Norse mythology is rather interesting and contributed to English and German folklore but the fact remains that they were a group of barbarians, and that their acts of murder, rape and terrorism greatly contributed to the decline of civilisation and culture across North Western Europe and the rise of the 'Dark Ages'.

That's not true about them being barbarians. they were some of the most civilized people at the time. Their graves have shown that they had hygienic tools like combs and tooth cleaners which were extremely rare in the 1200s.

Ask yourself this: could a group of barbarians get to America over 300 years before Christopher Columbus? I think not
Pure pride.

These were among the most civilized groups of people during their time.

If you into their artifacts, you'd realize that they were among the cleanest people in the world.

Didn't the Vikings destroy, rape and pillage other countries.

They're pretty much the european equivalent of Islamic extremists. Dunno how someone can call themselves a Viking.
Original post by Drewski
Would imagine it's broadly similar to how Brits view the British Empire.

It's a lot longer ago and Denmark was a load of different kingdoms? Britain wasn't really unified either. It;s a lot less closer to home. I don't feel at all antagonistic to Danish people because they raided my coastline unlike say a black person now may well be able to trace back to slavery in their family.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest