The Student Room Group

University offers- Bristol, York or Southampton

So i've come home today to find my final uni choice has given me an offer, which now means I have to try and decide which to pick.

I want to do psychology and am deciding between York, Bristol or Southampton. Southampton have given me a brilliant offer which is a grade lower than their asking ones, meaning it's the safest bet, but i still need another choice. My other options though are between york and bristol- the offers are very similar, with york's being slightly higher although this doesn't make much of a difference, only that it gives me less options (as i'm doing 3 a-levels and a btec, which both uni's have considered in their offers). The a-level offers are the same, it's only if i use the btec where they change slightly.

I was just wondering anyone's opinions on which to choose- the courses for psychology are all really similar and i loved all three uni's when i visited. Any help/opinions would be appreciated.

Reply 1
Insure Southampton, firm Bristol. Great lecturers, great uni, amazing city. Just got back from an offer holder day yesterday. Great place to be
Original post by JsJsxox

I want to do psychology and am deciding between York, Bristol or Southampton.

All i can say is York is the worst of the 3
Reply 3
Original post by Pocapoca
Insure Southampton, firm Bristol. Great lecturers, great uni, amazing city. Just got back from an offer holder day yesterday. Great place to be

hmm okay, I did really love bristol when i went in the afternoon, york just appealed to me as equally which is why the decision seems harder. I've heard really great things about both, but some bad one's too, so it's helpful to get someone else's opinions

Can i ask which subject you've applied for?

thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Lawliettt
All i can say is York is the worst of the 3

can i ask how come? just intrigued as to people's opinions and why for the uni's

thank you
I went to york a few years ago and i thought it was a lovely uni and city and i enjoyed the course. You should go and visit to see which you like the best really as everyone will be different
Reject them and go to Bradford instead
Reply 7
Original post by *Interrobang*
I went to york a few years ago and i thought it was a lovely uni and city and i enjoyed the course. You should go and visit to see which you like the best really as everyone will be different

I've already been to visit all of the three, and have loved them all equally, i think that may be why i'm struggling. They all seem to swap places on league tables between each other, and the offers are so similar, which makes it really hard to choose between them.

Thank you for your help!! I just wanted some views of those who are applying, or like you, have been to one of them to see the general consensus.

Hopefully I'll know when i go back to each one which is the best for me.

thank you
Reply 8
Original post by JsJsxox
hmm okay, I did really love bristol when i went in the afternoon, york just appealed to me as equally which is why the decision seems harder. I've heard really great things about both, but some bad one's too, so it's helpful to get someone else's opinions

Can i ask which subject you've applied for?

thanks

I've applied for psychology :smile: I've got friends at all 3 unis and my friends at York, they seem to love it but do often complain about it being rather small and not much to do around. With Bristol, I feel like you get the best of both worlds, you get that nice city like feel but its still small and friendly, nice community feel. Plus, Bristol's the highest out of the 3 on the rankings if you care about that too!
Check the third year modules for all the unis as well.

And i know that York doesnt have the most busy nightlife but it is geared up for students. Also leeds is easy to get to for a night out and it means you always bump into friends
Reply 10
Original post by Pocapoca
I've applied for psychology :smile: I've got friends at all 3 unis and my friends at York, they seem to love it but do often complain about it being rather small and not much to do around. With Bristol, I feel like you get the best of both worlds, you get that nice city like feel but its still small and friendly, nice community feel. Plus, Bristol's the highest out of the 3 on the rankings if you care about that too!

a psychology buddy then if I go to Bristol haha :wink: Okay, I did feel like that with Bristol- it seemed slightly more 'quirky' if that makes sense, which appeals to me for some reason (I am the least 'out there' person there is).

Thank you so so much, it's such a hard decision that I just need some opinions and others views. I'm going to the next applicant day for psychology at them all within the next few weeks so hopefully that'll help too.
Reply 11
Check the third year modules for all the unis as well.

And i know that York doesnt have the most busy nightlife but it is geared up for students. Also leeds is easy to get to for a night out and it means you always bump into friends

Hmm okay, I thought the third year modules were the same at them all for the accreditation from BPS...

It did seem a lot quieter than the others. It reminded me of a bigger version of a town I live near, which felt quite nice. I'm still torn between york or bristol, they are just so so similar in everything for me personally ahhh!

Thank you for your opinion though, I really do appreciate them all, especially when you have experience there
I would say Bristol if you really cannot decide between them, just because it looks to be the best for your course (from data online) and it has the most prestige/international reputation. go for the one you think youd be happiest at though, thats so much more important than anything else.
Reply 13
Original post by ryathelionator
I would say Bristol if you really cannot decide between them, just because it looks to be the best for your course (from data online) and it has the most prestige/international reputation. go for the one you think youd be happiest at though, thats so much more important than anything else.

thank you so much for your opinion!!:smile: I do like the idea of the reputation, just to help when I've finished haha- especially if i want to move away somewhere.

Although that does put me off slightly in case of people judging you- it's fairly high up there so I'm guessing there are going to be a lot of people with higher grades than I would be able to achieve as my offer does seem quite low compared to the typical ones they told me at the open day, but I think the others would be a bit similar in that respect too

I do think I'd be happy at either...they both seem to suit me in different ways if that makes sense?

I guess I'll know when it comes to deciding...
I haven't started university yet but from what ive heard from current university students, people dont tend to care about your background or ask too much about A levels and stuff so I dont think you'll get too many judging, especially when its the decision of the university to offer you a place or not haha so i wouldnt worry about that. youll get snobbery at all good universities but dont let it put you off!:smile:

It seems to me that the biggest decision for you is more choosing between city uni vs campus uni since the 3 universities are very similar in all other respects.
Reply 15
okay, well that's good to hear. I guess it is a bit of a fresh start, forgetting about the backgrounds, just meeting new people haha. thanks :smile:

I definitely agree with that, I don't have a particular preference for either, the thought of a city doesn't bother me too much, but the campus type does seem to be a 'safe' option- everything is in one place, you don't have to walk to far between things, etc. I do think the applicant days will be a good indicator for me- I'll be able to see which department 'grabs' me more- I've already ruled one of my 5 offers out for the very reason that it didn't.
Original post by JsJsxox
Hmm okay, I thought the third year modules were the same at them all for the accreditation from BPS...

It did seem a lot quieter than the others. It reminded me of a bigger version of a town I live near, which felt quite nice. I'm still torn between york or bristol, they are just so so similar in everything for me personally ahhh!

Thank you for your opinion though, I really do appreciate them all, especially when you have experience there

Years 1 and 2 are similar for bps accreditation - year 3 modules are optional
Reply 17
Years 1 and 2 are similar for bps accreditation - year 3 modules are optional

ooh okay, thank you for that! I didn't realise that haha

Quick Reply

Latest