The Student Room Group

What is wrong with this government?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TSRFT8
I have done work experience with Psychiatrist

How much was your bursary by the way?
Original post by TSRFT8
Bedroom Tax: Are you joking WHY do you need a bedroom when no one is living there? If you need the tax payer to pay for your house what gives you the right too own a 5 bedroom house with 3 people?

Cuts to tax credits: Lets discuss child tax credits, the welfare state is TOO big, you can not sit and expect the rich to pay for everything for you. If you cant afford to have kids why are you having them? The taxpayer did not have your kid why should they pay for it?

Ongoing cocking up on benefits system: Lets be honest, the welfare state is too big, the benefits as they were just a breeding ground for people to be lazy and not go to work as there was no/is no incentive too work with the amount of thing available to those on benefits (most people on JSA DO NOT want to work lets just be honest). Yes some people genuinely need it and those people should get MORE but some people were stealing a living. However i do not blame them if i was getting £15k on benefits and £13k in a 40 hour week job i wouldnt pick the latter either.

Cuts to social care, underfunded mental health services: I have done work experience with Psychiatrist, the things people come in there for i am suprised the doctors dont get pissed off, one lady came in saying "im going to kill myself tonight doc" lets be honest you arent you just want somewhere to stay for the night - And i was right, she came back 2 weeks later, shock.

Bedroom tax: Have you actually any experience of the kind of properties that people are getting hit by the bedroom tax on? Most people have just one spare room and that spare room is usually a box room. Near where I used to live people were having to pay the bedroom tax who had a spare box room that their carer or parent used to stay in on occasion to help them with a medical condition or disability. Some of these people were in and out of hospital with their conditions and definitely needed the help.

Cuts to tax credits: People are hit by circumstances outside of their control. A good number of people on tax credits are working but they're either not bringing in enough money despite being in work (is that an economy that's working??), they've lost a partner which has obviously happened after they had children, or they have been made redundant through no fault of their own. I can only hope that you don't find yourself in a position where you have to claim something you feel you're not entitled to. Many people claiming welfare do feel shame, but it's mostly the fault of a broken economy/social system that they're having to claim it in the first place.

'the benefits as they were just a breeding ground for people to be lazy etc etc': Have you ever tried living on JSA? Under 25s get less than £60 a week even if they have to live on their own and pay all the bills that come with living alone. And on top of paying bills and buying food and contributing to their council tax (my sister had to contribute to council tax despite being on the low level of JSA) they also have to pay costs associated with looking for work such as transport costs to go around handing out their CVs/attend appointments that they aren't eligible for financial help with. If that isn't an incentive to find work, I don't know what is. People turn up to the Job Centre in tears, I absolutely don't care what your uninformed opinion on people's willingness to find work is.

Work experience with a psychiatrist and one anecdote is what you choose to criticise a widely held opinion that mental health services are underfunded with? Really? Grow up.
Original post by TSRFT8

University should be free - But who will fund for it? It has to be paid for somehow? Also no i am not a student so maybe my post comes across as ignorant as i can only go off what i have heard.

Free University would be in an ideal world. However that will not be happening anytime soon, they should be returning to what it was before the increase. If I'm not mistaken, it was just over £3k.

Change is fine, I don't think anyone is against change. However it needs to be gradual, not like the Tories are doing now which is like a frontal assault on everything.
Original post by mscaffrey
Work experience with a psychiatrist and one anecdote is what you choose to criticise a widely held opinion that mental health services are underfunded with? Really? Grow up.

Im not going to dispute your point as you are using people who NEED the money as examples whereas im going to use the ones frauding the system as examples and its going to go no where. However i always said that people who NEED the money are not getting enough as the welfare state is too big and therefore we need to cut the amount of people on benefits - use that money to give to the ones in genuine need. If we only have £10 and 10 to give benefits too everyone gets £1, whereas if there is only 5 people then everyone get £2. That is the problem with the welfare state. It is too big and cant cater for everyone and therefore the ones in genuine need suffer the most.

Oh it was not just one believe me
Original post by Optimum_
Free University would be in an ideal world. However that will not be happening anytime soon, they should be returning to what it was before the increase. If I'm not mistaken, it was just over £3k.

Change is fine, I don't think anyone is against change. However it needs to be gradual, not like the Tories are doing now which is like a frontal assault on everything.

An ideal world? Free university is already a thing across Europe and in Scotland. Why do people act like it's some absurd, utopian idea?
Increased tuition fees
Cutting maintenance grants

There's your two, but there are a million more.

Cutting grants was good though, you ended up getting more overall than you would with a loan + grant, it really helped me out. If I had gone to uni last year, I'd have a few hundred left after accommodation.
Original post by JordanL_
An ideal world? Free university is already a thing across Europe and in Scotland. Why do people act like it's some absurd, utopian idea?

I know there are, Germany is an example where even international students are free.

However this is UK we are talking about, that is why I said in an ideal world.
Original post by Dinasaurus
Cutting grants was good though, you ended up getting more overall than you would with a loan + grant, it really helped me out. If I had gone to uni last year, I'd have a few hundred left after accommodation.

Yes, but you now have to pay back more than I will. If anything, grant should remain and the loan limit increased.

Btw, do you live in London by any chance? I hear it's pretty bad down there in terms of living as a student.
Yes, but you now have to pay back more than I will. If anything, grant should remain and the loan limit increased.

Btw, do you live in London by any chance? I hear it's pretty bad down there in terms of living as a student.

No I don't, seeing that some of the accommodation in London is like over 200 a week, it'd be a struggle.
Original post by JordanL_

I know there are, Germany is an example where even international students are free.

However this is UK we are talking about, that is why I said in an ideal world.

No such thing as tuition-free universities for international students. The few countries which have free tuition for citizens are funded by those citizens' taxes, but they still need a great deal of money for all the rest of their school costs. You aren't paying the taxes, you don't get the taxpayer-paid benefits. Furthermore, education would be in the native language of that country, e.g. German in Germany.

US - nothing is free, in fact, some of the most costly education in the world.

To obtain a student visa, you must be accepted by a university, and you must prove you have sufficient funds (without working) for all school + living expenses, plus return transportation to your country of citizenship. Student visas are temporary non-immigration class of visas issued on the condition that you return to your country of citizenship immediately upon completion or termination of studies. Don't forget such costs as fees, books, equipment, supplies, health insurance, clothing, transportation, room & board or "rent & everything." Numbers given by schools in their costs section do not include personal, incidental expenses, clothing, transportation, and lots of other highly variable (& often very costly!) things foreign students need.

Scholarships & other forms of financial aid are very scarce for foreign students, and very hotly contested. Chances of getting any financial aid are typically poor to nil. If foreign students are allowed any work at all, hours, etc, will be severely restricted. Jobs are scarce, especially in college towns, and you cannot expect to find a job & earn much more than some personal incidental expenses. You're in competition with local residents & citizen-students who have no restrictions on employment and lots of competitive advantages in the local job market.
Original post by john2054
First it was working tax credits, then increasing the school day, now cutting disability benefits? Come on David, and come on Britain? Is this really the country we want our children to be brought up in?!?

The question we should be asking is 'What have they done right?'
Original post by TSRFT8
No such thing as tuition-free universities for international students. The few countries which have free tuition for citizens are funded by those citizens' taxes, but they still need a great deal of money for all the rest of their school costs. You aren't paying the taxes, you don't get the taxpayer-paid benefits. Furthermore, education would be in the native language of that country, e.g. German in Germany.

US - nothing is free, in fact, some of the most costly education in the world.

To obtain a student visa, you must be accepted by a university, and you must prove you have sufficient funds (without working) for all school + living expenses, plus return transportation to your country of citizenship. Student visas are temporary non-immigration class of visas issued on the condition that you return to your country of citizenship immediately upon completion or termination of studies. Don't forget such costs as fees, books, equipment, supplies, health insurance, clothing, transportation, room & board or "rent & everything." Numbers given by schools in their costs section do not include personal, incidental expenses, clothing, transportation, and lots of other highly variable (& often very costly!) things foreign students need.

Scholarships & other forms of financial aid are very scarce for foreign students, and very hotly contested. Chances of getting any financial aid are typically poor to nil. If foreign students are allowed any work at all, hours, etc, will be severely restricted. Jobs are scarce, especially in college towns, and you cannot expect to find a job & earn much more than some personal incidental expenses. You're in competition with local residents & citizen-students who have no restrictions on employment and lots of competitive advantages in the local job market.

I'm not entirely sure why you brought up the US, definitely not a nation I would want us to be emulating.

But in regards to free education for international students, it does exist in Germany. Although as you mentioned, rest of school stuff is still costly. Then there's accommodation etc to worry about. However Scholarships do exist there too!
Original post by TSRFT8
Apart from cutting the benefits of the disabled (only the ones who are ACTUALLY disabled) i cant say i disagree with anything else.

What about the cuts and underhanded shafting to the sick? They have been getting away with it for years now and will now worsen it further by changing ESA payment to £72 a week from £102....

You agree with that?
I'm not entirely sure why you brought up the US, definitely not a nation I would want us to be emulating.

But in regards to free education for international students, it does exist in Germany. Although as you mentioned, rest of school stuff is still costly. Then there's accommodation etc to worry about. However Scholarships do exist there too!

University was "free" in the UK ? Effectively, under the Education Act 1962, most students on full-time courses received, via their LEA, a national Mandatory Award, by which 1: their tuition fees (+ Students' Union subscription!) were paid directly to their Uni (many were not aware of this technicality and simply thought there were no fees)
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm not shocked at all by any of the Government's actions, vote Tory and this is what you get.

Thanks to Jeremy's ludicrous defence and foreign policies we're stuck with them forever.
First it was working tax credits, then increasing the school day, now cutting disability benefits? Come on David, and come on Britain? Is this really the country we want our children to be brought up in?!?

The school day has been needed to be increased for decades there is too many subjects and too little time.

Jobs are competed for in a global market which means we need to be at least as good as the others

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSRFT8
Apart from cutting the benefits of the disabled (only the ones who are ACTUALLY disabled) i cant say i disagree with anything else.

What, increasing the school day? Where's the evidence that's going to improve the outcomes of children. For secondary school, I actually find it more likely keeping the same length and shifting the start to later in the day would improve performance.

I think you should look on a wider scale and realise that the world is on the break of another resession. Its nice to just blame out of context, but if you actually bothered to research you would realise that any expenses right now have to be cut. On top of that you have the referendum which brings economic instability and the EU is not doing too well atm
Original post by Rakas21
Should beds and couches be regarded as disability needs and therefore require extra income? That's more or less what the reform is about.

The rest i agree with, the state spends far too much on needless stuff.

It was no different really under DLA:
You got no extra money if you required aids. I was constantly told by non-medically trained people to use aids and I won't have problems reading. That isn't the case at all. The only aids that kind of work are some £600. Even then, I still require some help.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
Singling out this government is showing a woeful ignorance common with youth.

There is no government on this planet or in the entirety of history that hasn't done things that have annoyed people.

So we can't criticize this government because all governments make unpopular decisions? What kind of logic is that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending