The Student Room Group

Learning Norwegian

Due to various personal and professional reasons, I decided to learn Norwegian. While researching the topic online, I've found that some people say it's one of the easiest languages for an English-speaker to learn, while others say it's not so easy.

Assuming a relative commitment and immersion, how easy/difficult is it going to be and does anyone have any experience with it?

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Withengar
Due to various personal and professional reasons, I decided to learn Norwegian. While researching the topic online, I've found that some people say it's one of the easiest languages for an English-speaker to learn, while others say it's not so easy.

Assuming a relative commitment and immersion, how easy/difficult is it going to be and does anyone have any experience with it?

Thank you

No experience whatsoever, but people are going to say (bold) all the time...

I would learn as much as you can via the internet and then head over to Norway to practise it.

I speak several languages.
Reply 2
Any other advice?
Reply 3

Thank you

Hey, I really recommend using Duolingo.com, very good app for learning and it has norweigen on it! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by iNoddy
Hey, I really recommend using Duolingo.com, very good app for learning and it has norweigen on it! :smile:

I actually started using Duolingo on the day you recommended it and it's been going great so far. I plan on using it for as long as I can - that is, until I reach lower or middle intermediate level of proficiency (B1 or B2) and then I'll move on to TV shows, movies, books, articles and other such sources.
Original post by FrenchUnicorn

OP missed our Norwegian themed party yesterday :cry2:... the proceedings are recorded here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3961551
(edited 8 years ago)

Thank you

It's one of the closest languages to English, and has a slightly less complex grammatical system than languages like German, so yes it's about the easiest language you could ask for. To be honest, individual preferences aside, all major Western European languages are probably of similar difficulty level for an English speaker. Every language has it's complications: for Spanish its the different varieties and the speed of speech, for French it's the pronounciation and the subjunctive, for Swedish and Norwegian it's often the intonation and a couple of grammatical peculiarities.

A lot of people think that a particular language they are learning is unusually difficult, but that's often because they don't have much experience learning other languages so anything they get stuck on seems like a specific problem of that language rather than a general part of the language-learning process. The exception to that is Danish which everyone agrees is nearly impossible to pronounce like a native without years of practice.

The most difficult thing about learning Norwegian is that most Norwegians under 40 speak decent English, and will take some persuading to let you speak Norwegian to them if they don't know you well. Often you might speak to a Norwegian in their own language and they will recognise your accent, and insist on replying in English, unless you specifically ask to practice your Norwegian on them.
Original post by the bear
OP missed our Norwegian themed party yesterday :cry2:... the proceeding are recorded here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3961551

:lol:

Spoiler

:lol:

Spoiler

la fete de St Georges.

23ieme Avril

soyez la bienvenue
la fete de St Georges.

23ieme Avril

soyez la bienvenue

:party:

Spoiler

:party:

Spoiler

apportez une bouteille svp

:ymca:
apportez une bouteille svp

:ymca:

Sure

Spoiler

C'est même pas du jus d'arc en ciel :cry2: et en plus c'est pas bon c'est trop chimique :lol:

Spoiler

apologies to OP... Unicorn has overdosed on Rainbow Juice.

i shall take her home.

:wavey:
apologies to OP... Unicorn has overdosed on Rainbow Juice.

i shall take her home.

:wavey:

Éééhhhhh :O

Spoiler

you beat me to it!!

Definitely use duolingo, that site is brilliant!
Original post by iEthan
you beat me to it!!

Definitely use duolingo, that site is brilliant!

Never tried it, is it that good? :smile: I personally like using flashcard-style sites like memrise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Metrododo
Never tried it, is it that good? :smile: I personally like using flashcard-style sites like memrise

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's really pretty good! I've used it for ages. It has a 'community' aspect to it. i.e. you correct English work (i.e. texts on subjects) and they'll correct your work!! Then there's loads of activities, they'll also give you feedback on speaking activities too! It's wonderful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending