The Student Room Group

Which set of 3 subjects should i choose from these two?

History, geography, maths

or

History, geography, biology

i'm unsure of maths because i find it quite hard, i'm unsure of biology because people say i need atleast 2 sciences for it to be ideal, I would choose another science in place of geography but chem and phy dont interest me/it's too hard.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd go for whichever one you feel you'd do better in. What are you considering applying for at Uni, if you are planning to go to Uni?
Reply 2
I don't see why you need to study two sciences to study Biology - I didn't and had no problem. Geography and Biology also link, and some unis saw Geography as a 'science subject'.

I would say chose the easiest option, as ultimately getting the grades is the most important thing. That sounds like the second option to me!
Reply 3
Original post by Jpw1097
I'd go for whichever one you feel you'd do better in. What are you considering applying for at Uni, if you are planning to go to Uni?

I've considered law, but other than that i don't know so i'm trying to keep my options a bit open :/
You need two sciences for most sciences at uni.
Reply 5
Original post by Vikingninja
You need two sciences for most sciences at uni.

oh i see :/ isn't there any career based solely around biology? just wondering xD
Hmm I feel like Biology kinda goes with geography, but I'm not sure about the Bio spec for next year...
Maths seems a bit too far away from geography than biology, so I would go for Biology!
Biologist
With maths it depends what you find hard right now as to whether you would find A level hard or not. A level maths (and subsequent maths study) is quite different to GCSE maths. If you can handle algebra and trigonometry you have a good chance of doing well at A level.

I did maths and I didn't do biology, so obviously I would encourage everyone to go for maths because I really enjoyed it whereas I have no experience of biology. Having said that, you aren't me so I would encourage you to go with what feels right for you and what you're interested in.
Grab the specifications for each and pull a few topics out that sound interesting. Find the material online and have a stab at working through it. This will help give you an idea of what you will study. Neither combination is inherently superior so either choice is fine.
Original post by homeland.lsw
Hmm I feel like Biology kinda goes with geography, but I'm not sure about the Bio spec for next year...
Maths seems a bit too far away from geography than biology, so I would go for Biology!

thank you for your suggestion, i see the connection too :-) i'll consider it when the time comes

Original post by mscaffrey
With maths it depends what you find hard right now as to whether you would find A level hard or not. A level maths (and subsequent maths study) is quite different to GCSE maths. If you can handle algebra and trigonometry you have a good chance of doing well at A level.

I did maths and I didn't do biology, so obviously I would encourage everyone to go for maths because I really enjoyed it whereas I have no experience of biology. Having said that, you aren't me so I would encourage you to go with what feels right for you and what you're interested in.

I'm doing the step up course now to maths a level, everything is going great, we're onto differentation(?) and there's so many steps!!! Can i ask if you do self study for maths at home too? is it massively depended on that and how do you get through it?

i'm doing triple science and my bio teacher said the unit 3 (the exam im studying for may) is a good taster of a level bio and i really enjoy it!
The steps for just general differentiation get simplified by a massive amount in the A level but at A2 mostly there is a lot more advanced differentiation.
Original post by ByronicHero
Grab the specifications for each and pull a few topics out that sound interesting. Find the material online and have a stab at working through it. This will help give you an idea of what you will study. Neither combination is inherently superior so either choice is fine.

that's a great idea, i'll ask my teachers after half term :-)
I didn't do a lot of self-study for AS level - I basically did the homeworks and made sure to memorise the formulas in the case of the stats module I did - and I still ended up with an A at AS level. In your A2 year you definitely have to make an effort to study more out of class. Preparing for maths exams is all about the past papers (and working through plenty of examples in your textbook/revision guide), so if you're prepared to set some time aside to do those past papers it's easy enough work to do.
no problem! ^_^ what exam board are you doing for sciences?
it sounds like you're leaning more towards the combination with biology, so i'd say go with that one
Original post by homeland.lsw
no problem! ^_^ what exam board are you doing for sciences?

I'm doing WJEC for everything in wales - apart from RE somehow.
There is no need to ask your teachers. You can find the specifications online and just go through them yourself. If you are not confident doing that though then fair enough.

Best of luck with your decision :smile:
oh right you live in Wales. lol I did WJEC ICT Short course in year 9, it was so awful everyone was hating on the welsh.
good luck with the choice!
Original post by Han-
I don't see why you need to study two sciences to study Biology - I didn't and had no problem. Geography and Biology also link, and some unis saw Geography as a 'science subject'.

I would say chose the easiest option, as ultimately getting the grades is the most important thing. That sounds like the second option to me!

thank you, but i'm so scared of going out of the ''norm'' :/

Original post by bubblegumcat
it sounds like you're leaning more towards the combination with biology, so i'd say go with that one

thank you, i'll think about it :-)

Quick Reply

Latest