The Student Room Group

Making uni choices

Aight. So. I have to make my choices ASAP.
My predicted grades are ABC (Chemistry, Geography and Biology (in this order)) and I have offers to do Biomed (Newcastle) and to do Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry (Newcastle and Birmingham) and I still don’t know which one to firm.

I decided to omit my insurance choice because i’m dead set on it being my insurance but I don’t know which course to choose. I like Biology and Chemistry but I don’t want to take Chemistry just because I’m ‘good at it’ but then again I don’t want to take Biomed because I’m ‘bad at biology’ so I’m very conflicted.
Reply 1
You have until JUNE to make this decision.

Time to look at course details / optional units carefully, look at Open Day films on YouTube and think carefully about where you want to be abd doing which subject.
Original post by JA03
My predicted grades are ABC (Chemistry, Geography and Biology (in this order)) and I have offers to do Biomed (Newcastle) and to do Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry (Newcastle and Birmingham) and I still don’t know which one to firm.

I decided to omit my insurance choice because i’m dead set on it being my insurance but I don’t know which course to choose. I like Biology and Chemistry but I don’t want to take Chemistry just because I’m ‘good at it’ but then again I don’t want to take Biomed because I’m ‘bad at biology’ so I’m very conflicted.

Firstly, I wouldn’t call you ‘bad at biology’. I would, however, agree that you are good at chemistry from your posts elsewhere.

Have you been on open days to any of the unis you have applied to and decided whether they appeal as universities and whether their courses appeal also?

I’d also take some time to look at what sorts of jobs you will be able to access with degrees in chemistry with medicinal chemistry and biomedical science, respectively. If one degree is more advantageous than the other for a job that appeals particularly, then that may help your decision.
Original post by TypicalNerd
Firstly, I wouldn’t call you ‘bad at biology’. I would, however, agree that you are good at chemistry from your posts elsewhere.

Have you been on open days to any of the unis you have applied to and decided whether they appeal as universities and whether their courses appeal also?

I’d also take some time to look at what sorts of jobs you will be able to access with degrees in chemistry with medicinal chemistry and biomedical science, respectively. If one degree is more advantageous than the other for a job that appeals particularly, then that may help your decision.

I prefer Newcastle (a bit bias - I did visit Birmingham but I didn't like it too much) but I still have a chemistry offer as well as a biomedical offer from Newcastle so I jus need to choose.

Wait, what do you do/did at uni as a course? And how did you choose it?

I feel like I have to make a decision but in hindsight, this affects the rest of my life. or at least the next 3 years.
Original post by JA03
I prefer Newcastle (a bit bias - I did visit Birmingham but I didn't like it too much) but I still have a chemistry offer as well as a biomedical offer from Newcastle so I jus need to choose.

Wait, what do you do/did at uni as a course? And how did you choose it?

I feel like I have to make a decision but in hindsight, this affects the rest of my life. or at least the next 3 years.

I will be taking (pure) chemistry (at Oxford), starting in October this year.

I picked it because my favourite subject is chemistry (hence the subject) and I intend to go into research (again, hence the subject and also the university).

I’d say it’s hard to apply similar logic when picking between biomed and medicinal chemistry as you likely haven’t done much of either, so you won’t necessarily be able to decide which of the two you would consider your favourite subject.

It does, however, seem like Newcastle is the uni you would be better off accepting an offer from.
Hello! Year 12 student here - I was wondering how you were used 1 personal statement to apply for both Biomed and Chemistry with MedChem?? I'm extremely conflicted between these two. I plan to apply for Chemistry with MedChem at 4 of my choices but Oxford only do Biomed and Pure Chem - I was worried that my application for Biomed would not be considered if I wrote about Medicinal Chemistry in my personal statement. Could you help with this possibly? Or show an early draft of your PS (to avoid plagiarism) I would appreciate your help!!!!

Original post by JA03

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending