The Student Room Group

What UK bank is the best one for opening up a savings account?

Hey everyone, I'm a first year university student who really wants to start putting money away into a savings account for my future as opposed to spending it on unnecessary clothing purchases and dinners with friends!

I'm currently with Natwest, my main account which I've had since before I was 16, and with HSBC which is my student account (but I'm not a fan of HSBC!)

What banks would you recommend that provide the best savings accounts?
You can create ISA account its tax free saving account as far as I know it lets you save money and invest in funds and shares. I recommed Al rayan bank as they claim to invest your money ethically with out interestso good for people who observe the Islamic faith. Hope this helps. Its great that you thinking about personal finance I highly recommend you watch this YouTube video by Patricia Bright
HOW TO MANAGE AND MAKE MORE MONEY! VIRGIN JOURNALS
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by pink_pearls
You can create ISA account its tax free saving account as far as I know it lets you save money and invest in funds and shares. I recommed Al rayan bank as they claim to invest your money ethically with out interestso good for people who observe the Islamic faith. Hope this helps. Its great that you thinking about personal finance I highly recommend you watch this YouTube video by Patricia Bright
HOW TO MANAGE AND MAKE MORE MONEY! VIRGIN JOURNALS

Thanks for your response! I've watched that video - i love her! I'm not of the islamic faith but I guess I can give it a look
What do you actually want from your savings account? You can get ones where you have to pay in a set amount each month, ones where your money is locked away for a certain amount of years, etc.
Original post by Tiger Rag
What do you actually want from your savings account? You can get ones where you have to pay in a set amount each month, ones where your money is locked away for a certain amount of years, etc.

I want to pay in a set amount each month
Reply 5
A Building Society might be best.

e.g. Nationwide

:wink:
Just dump all your money into stocks and shares, the market needs your liquidity
Reply 7
Original post by overthelove
Hey everyone, I'm a first year university student who really wants to start putting money away into a savings account for my future as opposed to spending it on unnecessary clothing purchases and dinners with friends!

I'm currently with Natwest, my main account which I've had since before I was 16, and with HSBC which is my student account (but I'm not a fan of HSBC!)

What banks would you recommend that provide the best savings accounts?

The best in what respect?
Original post by M14B
The best in what respect?

The best as in interest rates etc... I don't really know much about finance, but I don't want to 'invest' my money into an account with a bank that doesn't have good rates!
Original post by stefano865
A Building Society might be best.

e.g. Nationwide

:wink:

Thank you for your response! I'll give them a look! :smile:

Coventry.

Also worth a look. :wink:
Reply 11

You should look into opening a current account. It sounds perverse, but current accounts offer much better interest rates than any savings account.
Reply 12
Take a look at this: http://www.bankaccountsavings.co.uk/

I used it and now have 2 'savings' accounts which are both current accounts and I get an interest of around 4-5% on £7000.
Reply 13
It depends how much money you want to save. You can check out the TSB Classic current account: http://www.tsb.co.uk/current-accounts/classic-plus-account/ - You get 5% interest on your balance up to £2000 and you can also get a monthly saver where you can save another £250 per month on 5% interest.

Hi,if you pm me ill refer you and you can get some cash upfront just for signing up :smile: Im a long standing Nationwide customer so can recommend peeps. Thats £100 notes for you..easy money..
Original post by Limpopo
Hi,if you pm me ill refer you and you can get some cash upfront just for signing up :smile: Im a long standing Nationwide customer so can recommend peeps. Thats £100 notes for you..easy money..

But you have to have at least direct debits going out each month and some other bits, from what I remember. And it's only certain accounts.
Original post by Tiger Rag
But you have to have at least direct debits going out each month and some other bits, from what I remember. And it's only certain accounts.

Ah yes,there are some conditions as you say,,still,,if you had an old account to switch or found a donor account somewhere,well its easy money :smile:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/landing-page/recommend-a-friend
I am running my account with Nationwide since last 8 years and it seems to me the best. Although each person has his/her own choice. You can also ask your known.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending