The Student Room Group

Bank account

I'm an Indian student in London it's been hardly 2 months I want to open the best safest possible bank account here. Please help me guide me to the best options I should consider from all sides? I stay in Bloomsbury. And please guide me through the procedure of opening & how much avg time it should take
All highstreet banks in the UK can be considered safe.

You won’t find much difference between them aside from small incentives and overdraft limits.

Their respective websites will have ‘how to apply pages’.
Original post by Admit-One

You won’t find much difference between them aside from small incentives and overdraft limits.

Their respective websites will have ‘how to apply pages’.

Thanks a lot. Can you say which specific one would you suggest personally? So I can go about it? And around how much time approx it may take to open the account?
Original post by DutifulDarshana
Thanks a lot. Can you say which specific one would you suggest personally? So I can go about it? And around how much time approx it may take to open the account?

I’ve got accounts with three banks and I honestly wouldn’t recommend one over the other. It’s not like other countries where there are Mickey Mouse outfits.

Impossible to give a timescale, as it depends on the banks specific process and what docs you have and they need. Could be days, could be weeks.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One

OP appears to be an international student, so is unlikely to be eligible for a student account that offers an overdraft facility or any incentives. You typically have to have lived in the UK for three years to be eligible for these.

Some banks offer specific accounts for international students (e.g. HSBC); others tell international students to open a standard current account (e.g. Barclays).
Original post by martin7
OP appears to be an international student, so is unlikely to be eligible for a student account that offers an overdraft facility or any incentives. You typically have to have lived in the UK for three years to be eligible for these.

Some banks offer specific accounts for international students (e.g. HSBC); others tell international students to open a standard current account (e.g. Barclays).

A fair comment and probably makes most highstreet options all the more indistinguishable.

Some banks have a small branch on campus, that might be worth considering if they think they might need to speak to someone but in all honesty most functions are dealt with online or over the phone nowadays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending