The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

which is the best hall to go to?

I'm an abroad student from aus coming to study eco's. wandering what accommodation is sociable and keen to party? but is also close to the business school.
I'm not fussed about shared bathrooms either

Scroll to see replies

Cambridge is very close to the Business school and is pretty lively. Daisy bank is about a 30-40 minute walk away, always has parties going on and is about £20 cheaper a week. Oxford court and Victoria hall are also pretty decent and are very close to the Business school
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
Hello.. I need some info too about the halls. I am an international student and will be joining MMU for the BPTC. Was considering Daisy Bank Hall taking into account that the rooms are ensuite and then cheaper than the rest. But then, I wanted to know if the area is safe. That is,in simple terms, can I walk around without any fear of being attacked.? Besides, is it a noisy place, because for the purpose of my study, I dont think i'll have time to party and all but rather will have to stick to my study desk.

I'll be highly grateful if someone can enlight me on this. Thanks
Original post by Trish01
Hello.. I need some info too about the halls. I am an international student and will be joining MMU for the BPTC. Was considering Daisy Bank Hall taking into account that the rooms are ensuite and then cheaper than the rest. But then, I wanted to know if the area is safe. That is,in simple terms, can I walk around without any fear of being attacked.? Besides, is it a noisy place, because for the purpose of my study, I dont think i'll have time to party and all but rather will have to stick to my study desk.

I'll be highly grateful if someone can enlight me on this. Thanks

Don't think any uni halls would be described as quiet although some are more "party" than others.

Daisy Bank is quite a way from the uni campus and the city centre.

Don't think anyone can give a guarantee as to safety - but personally I have encountered no problems but it is a city location so there are always more issues then a quiet campus university.
Reply 4
Original post by AmyPilot
Don't think any uni halls would be described as quiet although some are more "party" than others.

Daisy Bank is quite a way from the uni campus and the city centre.

Don't think anyone can give a guarantee as to safety - but personally I have encountered no problems but it is a city location so there are always more issues then a quiet campus university.

Thank you so much for the feedback.
Daisy Bank is at least a 40 minute walk away from uni and some parts close to it aren't the best. I would say choose a hall that is closer, the 40 minutes walk gets annoying very fast and the buses from daisy Bank are very unreliable which would mean you could be late to your lectures a lot
Reply 6
Original post by hamza97ahmed
Daisy Bank is at least a 40 minute walk away from uni and some parts close to it aren't the best. I would say choose a hall that is closer, the 40 minutes walk gets annoying very fast and the buses from daisy Bank are very unreliable which would mean you could be late to your lectures a lot

Thanks for this.. do you have any suggestions?
I am taking a loan for the purpose of my studies.. so wanted something comfy yet not very expensive since my postgrad is already costing me a lot. Is there any student accommodation which is near the MMU law school and not very expensive?
Manchester Student Village is right next to the uni and the good rooms are around £107 a week which is only around £4 more a week than Daisy Bank. It doesn't have an en-suite though.

Victoria Park, Oxford court and Cambridge are pretty good, close to uni but more expensive.
Reply 8
Manchester Student Village is right next to the uni and the good rooms are around £107 a week which is only around £4 more a week than Daisy Bank. It doesn't have an en-suite though.

Victoria Park, Oxford court and Cambridge are pretty good, close to uni but more expensive.

Okay.. yeah..
I need the en suite. I've never lived somewhere with 'shared facilities'. That is going to be the most difficult thing for me i guess.

I think that I'll have to opt for daisy bank if I don't find another convenient place. :/
Victoria Hall from MMU has en-suite and its very close to uni but it's more expensive than diasy bank, it's around £120 a week
www.mmu.ac.uk/accommodation/

That shows all of the halls owned by the uni so you can look through it and it clearly shows if something is en-suite
Reply 11
Yep.. already gone through them. thanks!
If you don't mind me asking, do you still live in Manchester?

coming back to the accommodation, do you know other student hall that is near MMU? even those that are not managed by the University.
Hi Guys,

If anyone is looking for student accommodation why not have a look at our website :smile: www.x1lettings.com

We offer furnished flats close to the city centre, only 10 minutes away from university buildings. Our accommodation benefits from an on site gym and laundrette, with all bills, including wifi, included.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact our office 0161 669 7070!
Reply 13
Original post by X1 Lettings
Hi Guys,

If anyone is looking for student accommodation why not have a look at our website :smile: www.x1lettings.com

We offer furnished flats close to the city centre, only 10 minutes away from university buildings. Our accommodation benefits from an on site gym and laundrette, with all bills, including wifi, included.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact our office 0161 669 7070!

Hello.. thank you for this. will surely check the website.
Original post by Trish01
Yep.. already gone through them. thanks!
If you don't mind me asking, do you still live in Manchester?

coming back to the accommodation, do you know other student hall that is near MMU? even those that are not managed by the University.

Nah I live at home and commute to uni for now but I'm moving to Manchester from September and probably going to Manchester Student Village. Theres quite a few of the private halls not too far from uni but I spent ages looking for good ones and most of them are already fully booked :frown:
Reply 15
Nah I live at home and commute to uni for now but I'm moving to Manchester from September and probably going to Manchester Student Village. Theres quite a few of the private halls not too far from uni but I spent ages looking for good ones and most of them are already fully booked :frown:

ohh okay.. seems really hard to get a proper place unless you can afford the expensive ones. :unimpressed:
Are you on a course at MMU?
I've never been away from my country.. that's why I am being very choosy and difficult too maybe :P
Original post by Trish01
ohh okay.. seems really hard to get a proper place unless you can afford the expensive ones. :unimpressed:
I've never been away from my country.. that's why I am being very choosy and difficult too maybe :P

Try looking at the website for Manchester Student Homes - you can search for all private halls on there.
Original post by Trish01

Yeah I'm doing Foundation Psychology which has is a four year course so I'm staying at home for this first year till September then I'm moving out for the last 3 years :smile:

Loads of people got their accommodation booked near December so that's why most of the good places are already booked out! We were too slow haha
Yeah I'm doing Foundation Psychology which has is a four year course so I'm staying at home for this first year till September then I'm moving out for the last 3 years :smile:

Loads of people got their accommodation booked near December so that's why most of the good places are already booked out! We were too slow haha

Manchester Student Village is an ok place though so you will be fine - stayed there last year! The fire department are very quick to respond - we had several kitchen fires during my stay lol.
Reply 19

Haha.. yup! It is only in January that i decided that i will do the Bar this year itself.
Do you have any friends doing their Bar course at MMU who can share their experiences?

Well.. I sincerely hope that we manage to secure a decent place to live in :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending