The Student Room Group

Live in halls next year or try get a house

I'm a first year and I've been hit with a bit of a complicated situation. I'm in quite a big group of friends and we organised different house groups earlier this semester. No problems there but eventually someone was planning to drop out of uni from my group specifically, which kind of messed up our plans as we didn't know if they were actually going to or not. Eventually someone else had to leave our group due to other circumstances, and that kind of killed any drive for me to make an effort to look for houses. It was down to 2 people, meaning we'd likely have to look for other people that we don't know very well to live with for a year.

As time passed I was weighing up the pros and cons of halls vs shared house, and halls looked to be better (for me) in quite a few aspects besides socially. Having to pay for a 52 week contract for houses was really unattractive to me (money is tight), dealing with bills, and potentially bad landlords. Idk, I just feel like 2 months into the first semester is soooo early to start thinking about a huge commitment and take on a lot of risks.

The biggest thing that I'd be missing out on is the social aspect of living in a shared house, and if the complications I mentioned above didn't happen, I probably wouldn't have even considered halls again. Now I'm in a situation where most people I know have sorted out their housing, and I feel like its too late to try get a nice house that's good value for money, having to find multiple other people to live with and book viewings and such. It's looking more attractive to save myself the hassle and just live in halls again.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm a first year and I've been hit with a bit of a complicated situation. I'm in quite a big group of friends and we organised different house groups earlier this semester. No problems there but eventually someone was planning to drop out of uni from my group specifically, which kind of messed up our plans as we didn't know if they were actually going to or not. Eventually someone else had to leave our group due to other circumstances, and that kind of killed any drive for me to make an effort to look for houses. It was down to 2 people, meaning we'd likely have to look for other people that we don't know very well to live with for a year.

As time passed I was weighing up the pros and cons of halls vs shared house, and halls looked to be better (for me) in quite a few aspects besides socially. Having to pay for a 52 week contract for houses was really unattractive to me (money is tight), dealing with bills, and potentially bad landlords. Idk, I just feel like 2 months into the first semester is soooo early to start thinking about a huge commitment and take on a lot of risks.

The biggest thing that I'd be missing out on is the social aspect of living in a shared house, and if the complications I mentioned above didn't happen, I probably wouldn't have even considered halls again. Now I'm in a situation where most people I know have sorted out their housing, and I feel like its too late to try get a nice house that's good value for money, having to find multiple other people to live with and book viewings and such. It's looking more attractive to save myself the hassle and just live in halls again.

Hey there!

I'd look at living in student halls as a separate opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. I lived in halls again for my second year and I don't regret it at all. I applied privately so I could opt for living with people who were also going into their second year which was a major advantage when choosing whether to apply through the university or privately. I wouldn't go back and change my decision, I really did make some good friends in my flat and building which made up for my first year experience. If it saves yourself some money then I don't see why you shouldn't go for it, you also know exactly what you're getting with halls. By choosing student housing, you're always risking that you could get there and not everything works as it should.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi Anon,

Sorting out housing for second year can definitely be a complicated task, especially as it is so early and you're not sure how things will work out.

I'm looking to go into private halls for my final year, and I'm actually really excited about this. I had a shared house in my second year, and while it was really easy to socialize, it can come with surprises, issues, extra costs, and landlord problems as you've already said.

I think as long as you work hard to put the effort into seeing and making plans with these friends from first year, and are open to meeting new people in the halls, you should be absolutely fine. If it makes more sense for you cost-wise and you are more comfortable with living in halls - go for it! At the end of the day, it is important to make the best decision for you. Don't let anyone guilt you into making a choice that makes you uncomfortable - living in halls doesn't mean you're never going to see them again.

Best of luck,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad BA (Hons) Student

Anon,

Perhaps, you could ask the other person/ people you were planning to share with whether they are interested in staying in the same hall as you? It might be possible for them to put you all together. You could then enjoy the social aspect without having to deal with the stress of dividing bills, the financial cost or a landlord!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending