The Student Room Group

2 SUPER QUICK M2 Moments questions

Untitled.png

Why is the angle at O equal to the angle a C?

And why would there be a reaction force at O?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by creativebuzz
Untitled.png

Why is the angle at O equal to the angle a C?

If you were to extend the vertical line at O you could draw a right angle triangle and the angle to the left of B is 90θ90-\theta. The angle the the right of B if you were to draw a horizontal line is 180(90θ+90)=θ180-(90-\theta+90)=\theta
The angle to the right of the B vertex is θ\theta and it's alternate to the angle at C.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
The angle to the right of the B vertex is theta

Why is the angle at the right theta? I tried drawing it out but I can't seem to get it

Bad drawing

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane

Bad drawing

Ohh I see, thank you!! Is that a theorem that I've just completely forgotten or?
(edited 8 years ago)
Ohh I see, thank you!! Is that a theorem that I've just completely forgotten or?

I used the GCSE? geometry principles that the sum of the internal angles in a (right angled) triangle is 180180^{\circ} and similarly, that angles on a straight line add up to 180180^{\circ}. And lastly, the idea that alternate angles two angles, formed when a line crosses two other lines, that lie on opposite sides of the transversal line and on opposite relative sides of the other lines are equal when when the lines crossed are parallel.

Internal angles of triangle

Angles on a straight line

Alternate angles

As for your 2nd question about reactive force, I'm not sure. I haven't yet covered M2 moments and even my M1 moments were weak.

I've tagged a couple members in who may be able to help :smile:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6

Because it's hinged at O so there'd be a reaction force from the hinge.

Something's got to support the whole structure; without it the whole construction would fall down, i.e. no equilibrium. :tongue:
Original post by ghostwalker
Something's got to support the whole structure; without it the whole construction would fall down, i.e. no equilibrium. :tongue:

I see!

In this question I did sin45 instead of cos45 (I put a purple line in so you can see why I put sin45 instead of cos45) but the mark scheme says it should be cos45, why is that?

m2.png
Reply 9
I see!

In this question I did sin45 instead of cos45 (I put a purple line in so you can see why I put sin45 instead of cos45) but the mark scheme says it should be cos45, why is that?

Does it matter? sin45=cos45=12\sin 45^{\circ} = \cos 45^{\circ} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} :tongue:
I see!

m2.png

As Zacken said - it doesn't matter.

However, since they've marked an angle as 45, I would assume they're using that same angle in their calculation. Sin45 would have been the better choice.

If the angle had been 30 degrees, say, then cos30 would be incorrect.

However, since they've marked an angle as 45, I would assume they're using that same angle in their calculation. Sin45 would have been the better choice.

Oh yeah I knew that it didn't matter!

I just wanted to make sure that I didn't get the answer right because of a fluke/my method was legit

Also, why did they give the lamina's mass as 12 (+15 of course) because isn't the mass of a lamina usually found by doing the area (so 5x8 and then add the particles' masses) in centre of mass questions? This is literally the only thing I don't understand about CoM.
m2.png
Also, why did they give the lamina's mass as 12 (+15 of course) because isn't the mass of a lamina usually found by doing the area (so 5x8 and then add the particles' masses) in centre of mass questions? This is literally the only thing I don't understand about CoM.
m2.png

The area by itself is insufficient. Assuming there is some thickness to the lamina, you'd need to know the mass per unit area, to then work out the mass of the lamina. 5x8 is not a mass.
The area by itself is insufficient. Assuming there is some thickness to the lamina, you'd need to know the mass per unit area, to then work out the mass of the lamina. 5x8 is not a mass.

Ah thickness of course, that makes sense! But how would I know when finding the area is sufficient because in quite a lot of CoM questions (particularly composite shapes) tend to involve finding the area!
Ah thickness of course, that makes sense! But how would I know when finding the area is sufficient because in quite a lot of CoM questions (particularly composite shapes) tend to involve finding the area!

If you're given any masses, then you need to work in terms of mass.

If no masses are given, then it's areas; assuming density is constant.
If you're given any masses, then you need to work in terms of mass.

If no masses are given, then it's areas; assuming density is constant.

Gotcha.

I managed to get full marks on part a, but in part b what do they mean by "give the direction"?
Also, is there some reason/theory behind how we can find what direction the X and Y reaction forces are working in without plugging in your values and just seeing if your answer is negative or not?

m2.png

I managed to get full marks on part a, but in part b what do they mean by "give the direction"?

Force is a vector quantity, it has a magnitude and direction.

E.g. a force represented by i+j has magntude of root(2), and a direction 45 degrees to i vector going anticlcockwise.

Also, is there some reason/theory behind how we can find what direction the X and Y reaction forces are working in without plugging in your values and just seeing if your answer is negative or not?

Logic and common sense. Can't really give a detailed description, but take your example.

If the rod wasn't attached at A, would it move to the right or left? Force at A must be in the opposite direction to hold it in equilibrium.

Then consider D. If the rod wasn't attached at A, would it rotate clockwise or anticlockwise about D? Vertical force at A must act to stop that, hence....

Force is a vector quantity, it has a magnitude and direction.

E.g. a force represented by i+j has magntude of root(2), and a direction 45 degrees to i vector going anticlcockwise.

Logic and common sense. Can't really give a detailed description, but take your example.

If the rod wasn't attached at A, would it move to the right or left? Force at A must be in the opposite direction to hold it in equilibrium.

Then consider D. If the rod wasn't attached at A, would it rotate clockwise or anticlockwise about D? Vertical force at A must act to stop that, hence....

If the rod wasn't fixed at A it would fall clockwise, yes?
If the rod wasn't fixed at A it would fall clockwise, yes?

Yes.

These things will be clearer when you've covered moments.

Quick Reply

Latest