The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get an A* in French listening?

So basically, I am studying French for gcse and it is going pretty good. However, I find it very difficult to revise for the exams as the questions could be based on anything and everything.! I have tried Duolingo which is great but there is only so much it can help you with in gcse. I have become better and consistent in French reading papers (A or A*) but I am finding listening papers almost a nightmare. My coursework is at an A* grade but the listening paper brings my grade down to just an A and I am aiming for an A* overall. I am doing the Wjec board which is alright. ( Thank God I'm not doing the Edexcel board).

Any suggestions on how to revise and get an A*in French gcse?

BTW, I'm planning to take French A levels next year. with maths biology and chemistry.
hi! perhaps read the specification of french to see what topics they normally talk about? i'm not sure about wjec, but for edexcel (lol) they talk about daily life, hobbies, food etc., and then you can revise any vocab that corresponds with it.

also, you should do listening past papers, i'm not sure if they'll be on the internet, but your french teachers might have it, and so they could help :smile:
Original post by vincentvangogh
hi! perhaps read the specification of french to see what topics they normally talk about? i'm not sure about wjec, but for edexcel (lol) they talk about daily life, hobbies, food etc., and then you can revise any vocab that corresponds with it.

also, you should do listening past papers, i'm not sure if they'll be on the internet, but your french teachers might have it, and so they could help :smile:

This:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TracyEmu
So basically,
BTW, I'm planning to take French A levels next year. with maths biology and chemistry.

I'm doing WJEC GCSE French too! I just feel like fighting Duolingo's corner.. it should be enough!

I scraped an A* in the listening mock but have full marks in my coursework so I have some room to fall back . The grade boundaries for WJEC French are ridiculous (my friend got 4 marks less than me in the mock and ended up with a B!)

Memrise is another good app if you fancy giving that a go, additionally , WJEC has created an interactive GCSE French revision tool online somewhere that you should try and find as it includes everything you need for GCSE through sort of quizzes and interactive games and stuff . Yet , having said this , the papers are so awfully inconsistent that any amount of preparation could be rendered moot if WJEC f*** up as they always seem to do!

Bon courage!
Reply 4

The topics are the same but the edexcel exam board is harder. My teacher said that we should listen to French radios. Let me tell you that was a FAIL!!! Couldn't understand a single words they said as they spoke rapidly.
The topics are the same but the edexcel exam board is harder. My teacher said that we should listen to French radios. Let me tell you that was a FAIL!!! Couldn't understand a single words they said as they spoke rapidly.

oh damnit i see haha. yeh french people speak so fast it's unbelievable! maybe watch a french movie with english subtitles? it probably isn't a difference to the radios, but they can help. i recommend romantics anonymous, which is on netflix :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Calsiwm_Silicad
I'm doing WJEC GCSE French too! I just feel like fighting Duolingo's corner.. it should be enough!

I scraped an A* in the listening mock but have full marks in my coursework so I have some room to fall back . The grade boundaries for WJEC French are ridiculous (my friend got 4 marks less than me in the mock and ended up with a B!)

Memrise is another good app if you fancy giving that a go, additionally , WJEC has created an interactive GCSE French revision tool online somewhere that you should try and find as it includes everything you need for GCSE through sort of quizzes and interactive games and stuff . Yet , having said this , the papers are so awfully inconsistent that any amount of preparation could be rendered moot if WJEC f*** up as they always seem to do!

Bon courage!

Merci beaucoup. J'irai essayer cette. I will definitely try it. Thanks and Bonne Chance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
oh damnit i see haha. yeh french people speak so fast it's unbelievable! maybe watch a french movie with english subtitles? it probably isn't a difference to the radios, but they can help. i recommend romantics anonymous, which is on netflix :smile:

Thank you. I will try giving that a go

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can always just listen to french songs on youtube etc rather than using radio as they are a generally little slower than normal spoken french and easier to understand (Raphael Haroche has some lovely music :h:) I did this a lot last year to revise for edexcel; even if you aren't properly paying attention immersion in the language helps you get better attuned to it

Definately past papers, you can use ones from other exam boards as well for languages :smile: Good luck!
Vocab vocab vocab! Quizlet is amazing and chances are there will already be cards made for your exam board, it has really helped me, bonne chance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest