The Student Room Group

The state of Israel

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WBZ144
In accordance with International Humanitarian Law any civilian deaths should be proportionate, dropping an atom bomb which killed hundreds of thousands was not even close to that. Civilians should not be deliberately targeted either, and judging by the areas where the bombs were dropped it would appear that they were. Countries can't just commit terrible atrocities and claim that they did so to protect their troops, that's preposterous.

how is that preposterous? are you saying that innocent states must sacrifice their own men for the people of the enemy nation? that's stupid. you're condemning the wrong country. again, innocent people are innocent people, but it's almost as if you're suggesting that soldiers on the innocent side aren't also innocent. if you have innocent people on your side and innocent people on the enemy side, why the **** would you side with the innocent people on their side on grounds of principle? and it's not necessarily about proportionality - sure, it is preferred, but sometimes it is unknown as to the damage that will occur if the enemy are not stopped. I mean, imagine if the nazis actually won WWII - would a future nazi dictatorship-style europe be okay so long as it was a result of innocent people's lives being spared? I don't know about you, but I myself would rather be dead than ruled by nazis.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AlmightyJesus
how is that preposterous? are you saying that innocent states must sacrifice their own men for the people of the enemy nation? that's stupid. you're condemning the wrong country. again, innocent people are innocent people, but it's almost as if you're suggesting that soldiers on the innocent side aren't also innocent. if you have innocent people on your side and innocent people on the enemy side, why the **** would you side with the innocent people on their side on grounds of principle? and it's not necessarily about proportionality - sure, it is preferred, but sometimes it is unknown as to the damage that will occur if the enemy are not stopped. I mean, imagine if the nazis actually won WWII - would a future nazi dictatorship-style europe be okay so long as it was a result of innocent people's lives being spared? I don't know about you, but I myself would rather be dead than ruled by nazis.

The atom bomb isn't what stopped the Nazis from taking over Europe. If it was used for that purpose then why was it dropped in Japan instead of Germany?

To say that proportionality is unnecessary is to show a disregard for civilian lives. If somebody broke into your house with a gun and you had to defend yourself, would you shoot the next door neighbours as well? This isn't about "taking sides", the simple fact was that it was not necessary or proportionate for the reasons I already gave. In its defeated state there was already very little damage that Japan could have done, you're talking about a powerful nation that was ready to invade US soil.
Reply 242
Wow 13 pages !
Must start reading now.
Original post by WBZ144
The atom bomb isn't what stopped the Nazis from taking over Europe. If it was used for that purpose then why was it dropped in Japan instead of Germany?

nazi germany got bombed by the UK - maybe more german citizens got killed than japanese in WWII

To say that proportionality is unnecessary is to show a disregard for civilian lives. If somebody broke into your house with a gun and you had to defend yourself, would you shoot the next door neighbours as well? This isn't about "taking sides", the simple fact was that it was not necessary or proportionate for the reasons I already gave. In its defeated state there was already very little damage that Japan could have done, you're talking about a powerful nation that was ready to invade US soil.

why would I kill the next door neighbours? the person with a gun doesn't have any allegiance or connection to my neighbours so that doesn't make any sense at all. and like I said, if the A bomb prevented hundreds of thousands of allied soldier deaths *and* east asian deaths. so that is very much a matter of proportionality. and as a matter of necessity, as long as they don't kill your citizens in return (if they're only going after soldiers at that point) then to kill their citizens will put pressure on them to stop the war. and it's not about your own soil, it's about the lives of your own men. like I said, you shouldn't look at allied soldiers like they're ****ing worthless - a nation should, in principle, defend its own innocent men over other countries' men
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AlmightyJesus
nazi germany got bombed by the UK - maybe more german citizens got killed than japanese in WWII

why would I kill the next door neighbours? the person with a gun doesn't have any allegiance or connection to my neighbours so that doesn't make any sense at all. and like I said, if the A bomb prevented hundreds of thousands of allied soldier deaths *and* east asian deaths. so that is very much a matter of proportionality. and as a matter of necessity, as long as they don't kill your citizens in return (if they're only going after soldiers at that point) then to kill their citizens will put pressure on them to stop the war. and it's not about your own soil, it's about the lives of your own men. like I said, you shouldn't look at allied soldiers like they're ****ing worthless - a nation should, in principle, defend its own innocent men over other countries' men

I already know that, you were the one who brought the Nazis ruling Europe into the argument. And I already said that I was against some of the tactics used against the Germans (such as the mass rape of German women).

You're the one looking at Japanese civilians like they're worthless. There is no evidence that the atom bomb prevented hundreds of thousands of deaths when Japan was already weak and defeated.
Original post by WBZ144
I already know that, you were the one who brought the Nazis ruling Europe into the argument. And I already said that I was against some of the tactics used against the Germans (such as the mass rape of German women).

You're the one looking at Japanese civilians like they're worthless. There is no evidence that the atom bomb prevented hundreds of thousands of deaths when Japan was already weak and defeated.

firstly, how am I ever implying that the japanese citizens deserved death? I told you they were innocent. but allied soldiers (conscripts) were also innocent. it's a matter of sacrificing their lives for the sake of our own (or else soldiers of the allies were going to die, in that situation). if you had to kill a member of your family or friends or a random stranger, who would you kill, with the recognition that both the friend/family member *and* the stranger were all innocent? while they are both innocent, you have interests. that's the point here. the interest of a nation state is to protect its people (including soldiers). you don't seem to get that fact. we live in a world of nation-states, not a global nation.

and there was evidence that the japanese were planning on a final stand. they still had millions of soldiers in the main land. this, again, was because they were not accepting the unconditional surrender demand of the allies (they wanted to protect the office of the emperor). I had to read all about this for university. it was only after the atomic bombings that they accepted a surrender in return for the guarantee that the monarchy would be contained. also, at the time, the japanese had no clue how many atomic bombs the US owned (it wasn't very many) so they were likely fearing total destruction. it's not as if the japanese were thinking that they *weren't* about to be totally obliterated for not surrendering, as opposed to simply having their troops die. they thought they could prolong the war which was still occurring, which was causing the deaths of innocent people, both their own and far east asians.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending