The Student Room Group

What is the best calculator model for A-level math?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lawliettt
So you recommend him one with those exact features? I had that same calculator when i was walking into my maths AS exam. The exam officer informed me, took it off me and placed it in the school office then gave me the non banned version instead. This all happened before the exam started of course.

Go read the JCQ guidelines.
Reply 21
Original post by Lawliettt
So you recommend him one with those exact features? I had that same calculator when i was walking into my maths AS exam. The exam officer informed me, took it off me and placed it in the school office then gave me the non banned version instead. This all happened before the exam started of course.

Which calculator model did you have? If it's just one with numerical integration/differentiation, you shouldn't have had it taken off you. I directly asked Edexcel regarding the use of Casio EX-991 Plus and they said it was fine.
Original post by Haamoo7
Which calculator model did you have? If it's just one with numerical integration/differentiation, you shouldn't have had it taken off you. I directly asked Edexcel regarding the use of Casio EX-991 Plus and they said it was fine.

Wow really? I swear my exam officer was retarded. It would've saved me the timed spent quadruple checking my calculations to make sure I hadn't messed anything up. And i probably still made a calculator input error knowing me.

It was the same calculator model but everyone who brought it in got told to use another one. Looks like I'm going to need to bring in screenshots of the official rules for my C3 and C4 exam.
If you don't want to be ostentatious and spend loads on a calculator, the silver Casio FX-911ESPLUS is by far the best, costs £2 more than the standard black ones schools sell with much more features. Great for solving quadratics so you don't have to, can double check your answers for some definite integrals (its gets confused by graphs that dip below the axis though) and can multiply add subtract and find determinants for matrices. It also can find cumulative normal probabilities. If you do Physics it also has important constants stored for quick access, though these might be too accurate. It can also divide imaginary numbers which can save time.

If you are willing to spend more get a graphing calculator. Though you shouldn't really buy it unless you really want a feature (like drawing those annoying polar graphs in FP2).
I use Casio FX-991ESPLUS. It's not a graphic calculator but graphics are like £100 it's not worth it. Plus, I would say that in many ways the fx-991esplus is better in some ways such as its ease of use. It's got lots of functionality plus its not fat and ugly lol.
Original post by Haamoo7
Dude the 991EX looks so sick. I have a 991ES Plus that's about to die (some keys are literally hanging off; I've had it for quite some time, and it's 2nd generation).
Should I get the EX? Or should I save money and buy another ES?

what stores can you buy it from? or do u have to order it online?
Reply 26
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
what stores can you buy it from? or do u have to order it online?

I can't seem to find it in the UK. It's not available on the UK Casio website, so I assume it's not directly available in the UK yet.
It is available on the US Casio website though.
Original post by Haamoo7
I can't seem to find it in the UK. It's not available on the UK Casio website, so I assume it's not directly available in the UK yet.
It is available on the US Casio website though.

I just went and ordered it on eBay it looks really good
Reply 28
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I just went and ordered it on eBay it looks really good

Oh nice. Have fun with it!
Original post by Cake_Chan
I wondering if there is a great calculator model (that is not banned by the exam board) as I know that there is different calculator model often have that different features and functions.

The best option, by far, taking cost into consideration, is the Casio FX9750GII. This is a graphical calculator, with a clear, easy-to-read display (loads better for contrast than some of the TIs) and with about the easiest, menu driven operating system you'll come across.

It's so easy to use that you don't need a manual. Nothing beats it for easy of use, if you want to plot graphs, find intersection points between curves, roots and areas under them.

It also has advanced statistical features built-in, like the main statistical distributions, statistical tests and confidence intervals plus basic statistical functions like mean, median, variance, regression etc. Another plus point is that its easy to program and also to customise.

Its equation solving capabilities are stupendous: simultaneous equations (even polynomial) with up to six unknowns and the 'Solve N' command. This feature is truly incredible. It'll solve many types of equation, including trig. equations, when entered as presented!

The only downside is that you don't get a natural display as standard, but download FxRemote and an os image files for the next model up (the fx9860gii) and you'll get a natural display and vectors.

Once upgraded, it'll take add-on packages like CAS and Algebra. These are downloadable, free-of-charge and provide advanced features like the full derivative of a function in terms of x, not just the value at a specific point and the ability to expand algebraic bracketed expressions, including binomial expansions, where n is positive. Mind you CAS packages are NOT allowed in exams (you have been warned!).

If you upgrade, the warranty by Casio will not be valid, so buy secondhand. There's loads out there and prices start on eBay for about £35 'buy it now'. For that, it'll come fully uprated and if you're lucky with the add-on packages as well. These can be downloaded, if not, from a French site, dedicated to Casio. You can also get the os image files to use in FxRemote software, if you buy one that hasn't been upgraded.

The best version to go for is the fx9860gii, version 2.04. This will work with add-on software that appears to be in beta form, like Algebra. With Algebra, sometimes when it fails, the calculator reboots itself.With later os versions, however, it freezes, requiring you to press the reset button.

Later versions than 2.04 provide no real advantage, other than a battery check and automatic parentheses. They are largely intended for exam compliance in France and the exam mode cannot be used with older, non-exam compliant calculators, so the feature is redundant and in any case not worth having, here in the UK.

Later versions also have ECON3 over ECON2 (very little difference and most users won't bother with either).

If you do decide to buy one and upgrade it yourself, you'll need to install the FA124 device management software first (obtainable free from the Casio site).

When you use FxRemote with an os image file, it must be the correct one for the processor of your calculator (often designated sh3 or sh4). If you use the wrong one, it dies! FxRemote will warn you if you try to do this.

You should also avoid using os image files marked 'slim' or fx9860giis. If you do, the display will be the wrong way round and you'll have to start again with the correct one. FxRemote comes with full instructions.

The older fx9750gii calculators are easier to update because the the software automatically prepares it for os updating. With later versions, the os update screen is achieved by pressing a combination of keys and this can be fiddly.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest