The Student Room Group

Shocking tweets against Jamie Vardie's 1 yr old daughter

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/04/footballer-jamie-vardy-twitter-threats-to-daughter

Jamie Vardie's partner tweeted a picture of their daughter on his timeline. She really is utterly adorable, maybe almost as cute as an otter. Reminds me a lot of my niece.

Unfortunately, some sick individuals started tweeting rape threats against her, which is so :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:-ing disgusting.

https://twitter.com/vardy7/status/716714339571539968

I think they should be imprisoned. Not for 10 years, but a substantial 6 month sentence or thereabouts

What is it about the internet that brings real creeps out of the woodwork? There seems to be nexus between people who hide behind the label of free speech pioneer along with PUA idiots like Roosh V and other sickos. In the old days these :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ers would have got the **** kicked out of them down the working mens club if they even hinted at something so foul.

The internet has been an amazing boon for humanity, but it also allows various forms of pondscum to have a platform they never had before.

Thoughts?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Oh and re my comment about almost being as cute as an otter, I stand by that. Those little guys are freakin' adorable. Here's a few of them in a standoff with an evil pigeon

Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
Oh and re my comment about almost being as cute as an otter, I stand by that. Those little guys are freakin' adorable. Here's a few of them in a standoff with an evil pigeon

Pigeons are 100% evil ngl so I fully support you there xD
Reply 3
That's vile. Sick people like that make me so angry.

That picture is just before pigeon was had for dinner...
that made me throw up a little
The internet is a forum where anyone and everyone can see what you post. If you don't want this kind of attention, don't show off your daughter on abysmal gutters like Twitter. This is at most a problem for Twitter to address, but not the law
Original post by KingBradly
The internet is a forum where anyone and everyone can see what you post. If you don't want this kind of attention, don't show off your daughter on abysmal gutters like Twitter. This is at most a problem for Twitter to address, but not the law

What? It's sickening. A one year old?!!!
The internet is a forum where anyone and everyone can see what you post. If you don't want this kind of attention, don't show off your daughter on abysmal gutters like Twitter.

That's kind-of victim blaming, no? Why should internet speech be treated differently than in-person speech?

If you walked past a family (Mum, Dad and 1 yr old daughter) in the street and threatened to rape the daughter, you could and would be prosecuted and rightfully so. Making threats against someone has no free speech justification

What kind of :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: post is this lmao.
Some people are vile. I don't understand what these people get from sending weird messages about a girl who can barely walk and talk she's so young.
just vile. so glad i don't use Twatter
Original post by the bear

I'm not keen on a lot of the abuse, the mindless hashtwattery and sloganeering on Twitter.

But it is quite good for staying in touch with likeminded people. It was through twitter that I found a fairly reputable website that published a piece I wrote about Corbyn, and it's through Twitter I stay in touch with anti-Corbyn forces in the Labour Party

In this instance, because there were actual threats of sexual violence I can see why the police would investigate.

If you were to approach someone in the street and tell them you will rape them, you would clearly be breaking the law for issuing threats and it's the same online.

Generic offensive speech is something people need to just get over, but specific threats should be punished.
Original post by the bear

I use it :frown:

---

Truly vile though, why are people so disgusting? :/
Reply 15
disgusting

his daughter is properly cute tho omg
Reply 16
Original post by Wewuz Hebrews
In this instance, because there were actual threats of sexual violence I can see why the police would investigate.

If you were to approach someone in the street and tell them you will rape them, you would clearly be breaking the law for issuing threats and it's the same online.

Generic offensive speech is something people need to just get over, but specific threats should be punished.

Totally agree, if you went up to someone in the street and threatened to rape their baby you'd be breaking the law and arrested and rightly so, so why should this be any different because it's on the internet? I hope they manage to find the sick bastard, the tweets in question aren't just your run of the mill troll comment, they're revoltingly vile and disturbing, some people may not believe it should be a matter for the police to deal with because of it being 'just the internet' and trolls rarely mean what they say. But I think it absolutely should be for the police to deal with, if people like this guy are made an example of then maybe others will think twice before posting stuff like this, offline or online, no-one should have to put up with this crap for posting an innocent photo of your baby daughter.
Those comments are abhorrent people take football way too seriously if they think supporting a different team justifies that.
In the grand scheme it is hardly shocking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/04/footballer-jamie-vardy-twitter-threats-to-daughter

Jamie Vardie's partner tweeted a picture of their daughter on his timeline. She really is utterly adorable, maybe almost as cute as an otter. Reminds me a lot of my niece.

Unfortunately, some sick individuals started tweeting rape threats against her, which is so :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:-ing disgusting.

https://twitter.com/vardy7/status/716714339571539968

I think they should be imprisoned. Not for 10 years, but a substantial 6 month sentence or thereabouts

What is it about the internet that brings real creeps out of the woodwork? There seems to be nexus between people who hide behind the label of free speech pioneer along with PUA idiots like Roosh V and other sickos. In the old days these :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ers would have got the **** kicked out of them down the working mens club if they even hinted at something so foul.

The internet has been an amazing boon for humanity, but it also allows various forms of pondscum to have a platform they never had before.

Thoughts?

First I thought you were going a bit to far with the prison sentence suggestion. After reading the tweet, I wouldn't hesitate with giving them 10 years!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending