The Student Room Group

Why is SPaG important?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
Poor example both of those read like example 2, it took me a while to see what you wanted me to read for example 1.We don't use punctuation for speech and this is something that confuses me why do we use it for text and not speech?

They read entirely different. One reads about helping your uncle Jack get down from riding on the horse, the other explains that you and your uncle helped each other to wa.nk the horse. If you can't spot the difference there, you're either very stupid or illiterate.
Poor example both of those read like example 2, it took me a while to see what you wanted me to read for example 1.We don't use punctuation for speech and this is something that confuses me why do we use it for text and not speech?

Maybe you're not good at spotting potential ambiguity. If you don't play by the rules you'll find it a struggle to be understood by other people.
Reply 42
Original post by Tinemither
They read entirely different. One reads about helping your uncle Jack get down from riding on the horse, the other explains that you and your uncle helped each other to wa.nk the horse. If you can't spot the difference there, you're either very stupid or illiterate.

If you got sent that in a text message you would probably read it as number 2, unless the context was clearly sexual.Often there are different interpretations for what someone has said that is why you study English Literature and there are often misunderstandings when people talk and they meant something different due to ambiguity.

I am not sure I would have used the comma like that, that being said I do get confused about commas I usually use too many or too few.
Reply 43
I have added a poll so you can vote on where you think SPaG should be assessed.
If you got sent that in a text message you would probably read it as number 2, unless the context was clearly sexual.Often there are different interpretations for what someone has said that is why you study English Literature and there are often misunderstandings when people talk and they meant something different due to ambiguity.

I am not sure I would have used the comma like that, that being said I do get confused about commas I usually use too many or too few.

People enjoy comedy examples of bad punctuation changing the meaning of words and when one of the meanings is absurd that's a definite clue. But what if the meaning is ambiguous and both meanings seem equally plausible?

Well you're at uni, perhaps you could get some help with that before it interferes with your career.
Reply 45
Original post by Joinedup
People enjoy comedy examples of bad punctuation changing the meaning of words and when one of the meanings is absurd that's a definite clue. But what if the meaning is ambiguous and both meanings seem equally plausible?

Well you're at uni, perhaps you could get some help with that before it interferes with your career.

Ambiguities arise in even correct English consider the phrase "I'll take care of her".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending